Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Show and Tell
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  05:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
When you complete a project do you bring it over to the LYS where you bought the yarn so they can see it and give the requisite oohs and ahs?
After all, who else but other knitters really understand what you have accomplished?

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  05:37:47 AM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
I'm a little embarassed to say, that yes, I do. To knit night. I didn't bring my latest project, a simple baby blanket, to the group when I finished it, and got "scoldings" for not playing show and tell right. So, yeah, if it's not a dishcloth, I do. I'm a feedback junkie.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  05:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
Show and Tell, Yet another good reason i belong to 3 knitting groups, (Big Apple, SnB, and a small friendly knitting circle! (where i am off to now!)
Go to Top of Page

sharon.curry@aventis.com
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  06:33:19 AM  Show Profile Send sharon.curry@aventis.com a Private Message
I don't bring it to the LYS but I do show my co-workers and others my completed projects....they are impressed and let me know....it gives me incentive for the next "task" at hand.

Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  08:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
You can't get away with not showing off at KnitKnutz - if we catch a glimpse of knitted fabric, we cajole until you show it to us!

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  08:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
As a part-time Yarn Seller I love it when a finished object is brought in for show and tell! And Show and Tell is everyone favorite part of out Guild meeting.

Linda in VA

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  08:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I show my co-workers my progress. I don't get to my LYS as often as I'd like because of the distance. They are very encouraging at my LYS, so I probably will eventually take items for them to see.

I discussed a few Summer Tweed projects with one of the owners, so I'll definitely take one of them to show her.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
FO for 2004: 2/3 blanket and 2/3 sweater :)
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  09:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Oh, yes! I love feedback on my knitting, but I also love giving it on others' projects. I so enjoy seeing what each person is working on. Sometimes it gives me inspiration, sometimes I love the emotion behind the project, sometimes I just like to be nosy and see what everyone else is doing. It's one of my favorite things about the guild meetings I go to, and the LYS patrons are all very encouraging.

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  10:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
I'm a show and tell junkie. (hmm maybe another branch of the knitters anonymous groups.) I love to show what i am working on, or have just completed. I had a UFO weekend and at the end of it treated myself to a trip to an LYS where the salesperson oohed and ahhed at the appropriate places. Also, my co-worker gets to see everything in progress. Whether he wants to or not.

Cats always feel underestimated, underappreciated and underfed. ~Jon Carroll

http://www.livejournal.com/users/purlewe/
Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
I'm so glad I have finally found some fellow knitters (thank you KR!) because I finally have people to show stuff to. The lady in my LYS is nice, but she doesn't really give a damn what I make with her yarn. Maybe some of the stuff I make is a little too wild for her or something. I don't even think it's that wild, but she just looks and nods and says, "uh-huh"

I think it's natural to be proud of what you have created and want to show it to people and even brag a little. Maybe part of it is a need for approval more than anything else (and maybe that is just me and my insecurities!). I know as someone who is self-taught that for a long time I really didn't know if I was doing things "right."

www.kategilbert.com
www.kategilbert.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  11:13:55 AM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
Oh, yeah. Co-workers are shown and told too. They are subjected on Monday mornings. And any other time I finish something off--including dishcloths--or make significant progress in an evening.

I love seeing what everyone else is doing, too.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  11:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
After too many times of me stomping my feet and saying "Pay attention to me!" my husband has learned to feign appropriate admiration for my knitting. And when I was in DE, the LYS on Rehoboth Beach (the Knitty Gritty) was great for show and tell - if I walked in without projects, they'd ask how things were going, and always knew which yarn was becoming what.

And we just started a MD group, but I loved seeing what we'd all been working on! And funny enough, of the 8 women there, three were working on the same tank!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  11:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
ooh, and I forgot to say that what I love about my fave LYS is that the owner REMEMBERS YOUR PROJECT. So if I walk in and say hi and get some yarn she asks "did you finish that sweater?" even if I a) did not buy the yarn in her shop or b)bought the yarn but did not buy the pattern in her shop. She might not remember everyones name, but she knows our projects. And never scoffs. (I had one owner at another store say sadly that she would never felt the Manos bag I was making. She was actually TRYING to make me feel guilty about my project. I don't show her my stuff anymore.

Cats always feel underestimated, underappreciated and underfed. ~Jon Carroll

http://www.livejournal.com/users/purlewe/
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  10:41:28 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  12:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
You know "Show & Tell" is one of those things that most of us were taught in kindergarten. How's that saying go? All I needed to know in life I learned in kindergarten. I still love show and tell, I especially love to be inspired by the great items others knit up.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

Berchem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  1:06:01 PM  Show Profile Send Berchem a Private Message
I am sorry to say I don't bring my finished to projects into the LYS when I am done. When I see yarn that I love, I buy it. I usually don't have any idea what to make with it. When I get it home, I sometimes look for something but I usually put it away and as I see sweaters or shawls that I like, then I "shop" my stash. It might be a couple of years later when I finally make something from it. By then I don't think any one would remember. Or even that the yarn is available.
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  4:55:29 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
What I love most about going to a lys is seeing what everyone is making and of course, showing my projects in their various stages and most of all, wearing the sweaters there! That's what makes the lys a knitting community into itself and the main reason why I could never be an internet shopper. To me, the lys is a vital part of knitting. Good topic, GFTC. Sue

~Knitting is a gift you give to yourself~
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  11:05:34 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I don't really have a relationship with my LYS, and most of my yarn came from e-bay, but show and tell is the reason I started my blog. I wanted to be able to talk about my knitting to ppl who actually cared about it.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

Little Kitty
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  12:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Little Kitty's Homepage Send Little Kitty a Private Message
I have brought WIP pieces to show co-workers, and I have worn most of my finished projects to the office. Now when I wear ANY sweater, my co-workers ask me if I have made it .

~~ Lynette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
perfect is the best you can do that day
Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  2:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
I hate saying no to that question, Little Kitty! I need to make something so I can at least say yes once in a while!
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
Absolutely! My area LYS's show great interest in what I've made, regardless where I purchased the yarn or pattern. Although it's limited to a select few for me, most owners/staff/fellow knitters like to see the transformation .

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.