Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Hourglass Heel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  10:49:43 AM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I have the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook and it talks about an hourglass heel that's new to me.

I can't begin to figure it out (they say it works the same toe up or top down).

I'd love help with more words than they give (on page 51) for Begin the Heel to the end.

Anyone have a site with pictures?? That would certainly help this old brain.

Margie

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  4:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I have this pattern and while I've not done it before it seems to have a lengthy instruction. http://www.wiseneedle.com/knitpattree.asp
There are lots of people that have problems with the hourglass heel. I'm not sure its any better than any other heel so I haven't tried it.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.thekingspottery.com
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  8:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I like the hourglass heel, myself; it looks "tidier" than a heel flap, and there's no picking up stitches or gusset to deal with. It is tricky to get the hang of, though. It's basically just short rows, with a yarn over at the beginning of each one. I suggest you practice a bit with a small tube swatch. You'll get the hang of it!!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." --Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  3:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Molly C's Homepage Send Molly C a Private Message
I was just looking at the Interweave Knits website and discovered they have a section for the hourglass heel. If you log in with a subscriber code and go to the Sock Corner, the Pricilla's Dream Socks are constructed with an hourglass heel. I did not read the directions, but perhaps you can find something there that will help you.

Molly
Knitting in Southern Connecticut
Is it spring yet? It is! It really is!!
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  8:06:57 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Thanks for the link. I put "hourglass heel" into Google and didn't learn much.

Wish I had an Interweave Knits subscriber code, but I haven't. I first tried it on a small tube and ... gave up. Haven't tried in a few days. May try again tomorrow when it's not 'dark under the table' to quote my father (meaning late).

And please, if someone else knows more, I'd appreciate learning it.

Margie of Silly Cone Valley, CA
Go to Top of Page

Sunnylady2003
New Pal

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  07:12:17 AM  Show Profile Send Sunnylady2003 a Private Message
If you are really fed up with it then have a look at the easy sock pattern on the oxyarn site www.ozyarn.com which I have used and I think works in the same sort of way. I shall certainly use it again and am adding it to my sock workbook for future reference.

I found it helped to have two bits of yarn (I used the long tail from the cast on for one) so as to mark the place one has to work up to and which shifted for each row - though in fact it was obvious after a while. I used it as written for a sock with 60 st on needles (the pattern is for a 56 stitch sock)

And I also sat down and wrote out each row where it says "work like this until" so that I did not get lost, but in fact the pattern is quite right in saying that its actually easier to do than to read and it may be that is the same for Twisted Sister hourglass heel (which as a fan of the book itself I am about to try)
SL
Go to Top of Page

Dewey
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  08:37:45 AM  Show Profile Send Dewey a Private Message
Margie, I did the socks from Twisted Sisters for my first pair of socks and had to rip out the heel six (yes, six!) times before I got it right. All of my friends kept saying "Aren't you past the heel on that sock yet?" Anyway, I finally got it right, but you do have to pay close attention, and I think the directions aren't really intuitive. I don't have the book in front of me, but I remember thinking that the second part (after you've got the nine "pairs" of stitches--the stitch and yarnover combos--on each side, then you start knitting back and you do a ssk or k2tog decrease on each side) that she says something like "continue until there is one pair of stitches left." But that "pair" of stitches isn't a nice, tight pair like the yo/stitch combinations were. It's really a yo and then the next stitch, which will have a little more space between them. OK, I don't think I'm helping at all here.

Anyway, I think that the heel used in the "Sock-it-to me Plain toe-up socks" at Elann.com are similar, but maybe a little easier to follow. Here's the url for the pattern: http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=5024 Now, keep in mind, I haven't gotten to the heel on this pattern yet, so I can't say for certain that it's that similar, but it is a short-row heel.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Dewey
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  08:39:59 AM  Show Profile Send Dewey a Private Message
Also, forgot to say that once I finished the heel, it looked wonderful and the second heel was MUCH easier!
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  9:00:22 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Thank you one and all. Knitters are the nicest people (I've known that for a long time), and it's been proven yet again. I'll get out needles when the sun rises and have a go at it.

Small thing: I could not print the sock from Ozyarn when I asked for the American formatted paper, but had no trouble with A4 paper format.

Margie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?