Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 kids knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CrazyforEwe
Chatty Knitter

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  7:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit CrazyforEwe's Homepage Send CrazyforEwe a Private Message
I was sitting here in the kitchen tonight knitting. My 11 year old daughter has a friend sleeping over, and they wandered in and said they wanted to "do something fun". My daughter knits, so she got out her project. I asked her friend if she would like to learn and she said sure. So, there we were, knitting together, and the conversation just started to flow. They talked about school, friends, boys, family, whatever. They were very open and comfortable. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? The world would be a better place if everyone could just sit down and knit together.

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  7:50:48 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
My gd is 3 and she told me yesterday when she gets older she is going to knit.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  02:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
that's so cute! I teach English to kids and one day I was babysitting 2 of my students as a favor to their parents. I was afraid of running out of things to do or being bored while they played so I brought my knitting with me and threw some old yarn and big needles in my bag just in case. I kind of taught them how to knit. The littlest girl (7yrs old) had a lot of problems but managed to make a little swatch. The older girl (9 yrs old) really thought it was fun and even though she made lots of mistakes (but who didn't the first time) she kept asking me about it for weeks! Now everytime I go to their house, they look in my bag to see what I am making.

www.kategilbert.com
www.kategilbert.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  09:38:58 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
My 11 year old knits, spins, and weaves. We enjoy these activities as a family. I don't think any of her other friends do these sorts of things. We're hoping that having this activity to enjoy together will help to keep us close because it's a special bond we share. Maybe we can knit our way through the "terrible teens" so that they won't be so terrible.
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  1:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
I taught knitting this past year to the first through fifth graders at my childrens school (Waldorf-based). It was an awesome experience ~ just like you had with you daughter and her friend. Something about needles and yarn in hand seems to make the mind relax and the words flow.

This summer I am teaching my son, who is 6-1/2, and my niece, the same age, to knit. He learned how to finger knit at school this past year, which is really quite cool, and is dying to learn how to use needles. So, this summer, he starts on needles. He'll probably be in my knitting class in school next year, as he'll be a first grader.

My younger daughter, 4-1/2, is learning to finger knit now and I will also teach my other niece, who is also the same age, to finger knit over the summer.

I'm hoping our little "circle" will have a similar affect on the little kids this summer as well.

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers: http://www.spirit-trail.net
http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CrazyforEwe
Chatty Knitter

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  8:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit CrazyforEwe's Homepage Send CrazyforEwe a Private Message
Wow - it's great that so many of you have experienced this with your own children and others. I'm always amazed at what kids can do if you take the time to teach them. I think part of the beauty of knitting together is that you aren't sitting down "to talk" - you're knitting, and the talk is just sort of a by-product and they are much less inhibited and self-conscious about what they're saying. BlueStocking, it's great that the Waldorf school includes knitting as a regular part of their curriculum.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  9:01:29 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I taught my daughter to knit when she was 9 1/2; now she's almost 11, and I think she has finished more projects in 18 months than I have in 18 years! She is fearless of patterns, swatches to teach herself stitches, seams with abandon, and is an inspiration to me! Right now she is working on her first project with stripes - a pair of ribbed tube socks. She's doing a great job, but is impatient because after this, she wants to tackle mittens on circular/double-pointed needles.

I love sitting and knitting with her. I think it's like being in the car - since we are not sitting face to face, it is easier to openly talk. Whatever it is, I'm just loving it, and I encourage anyone else with daughters to give it a try.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  10:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I taught my dd when she was 7. At 8, she has completed a couple of scarves and we're doing a KAL together - a colorblock poncho by Michele Wyman (we're doing different colors/sizes but same pattern).

I've taught over 100 girl scouts out here how to knit and am the unofficial "consultant" to the group of girls that knit at lunch (under another knitter's supervision) at lunch.

Our knitting guild has a number of mother/daughter knitters (including myself - my mom is an avid knitter & crocheter).

Our cub scout den is going to do knitting and sewing for their craftsmen badge.

I think its great that so many younger kids are getting into it.

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley
Go to Top of Page

sharon.curry@aventis.com
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  08:22:45 AM  Show Profile Send sharon.curry@aventis.com a Private Message
Ellen...that's great that your daughter knits and wanted to share with her friend...I wish I was as passionate a knitter to show my daughter how to......oh well.......

sharon
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  10:48:09 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I'm teaching some kids at my daughter's school as well. And yes, I have noticed how conducive to conversation it is. The kids just start chattering away. They seem to want to share everything with me.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  11:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
a lady in my sister's neighborhood taught all the neighbor kids how to knit, my neice and nephew among them. My nephew is now 10 and my neice is 7. They are both working on hats. My nephew wants to go to a SnB with his mom, but she says "no" so i was thinking i could have my own little SnB with the two of them every so often. It might still be fun for them.

holly x
"The person who is saying it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it"
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  11:38:27 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
What a great idea! A SnB for kids! Did you read (in Vogue Knitting, I believe) about the knitting club one woman set up in a school during the winter? All the kids lined up sitting in the hallway during recess, knitting away.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  2:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
I think I would leave my kids home (if I had any) for SnB too. It's nice to have things in common with your family and friends. It's equally nice to have something that is just for you.
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
oh yes, i don't think she should necessarily take her kids to the SnB: it is geared for adults and not kids, so it wouldn't be a good time for them or her if they went. i do think a SnB for kids would be good though, or a mix of kids and adults who knew what they were getting into.

holly x
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  4:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

Did you read (in Vogue Knitting, I believe) about the knitting club one woman set up in a school during the winter? All the kids lined up sitting in the hallway during recess, knitting away.

i had not seen that. cool.

holly x
"The person who is saying it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it"
Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  11:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
I've heard that knitting improves kids' math and logic skills. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?
Go to Top of Page

bleustocking
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  3:09:20 PM  Show Profile Send bleustocking a Private Message
I showed my 9-year old the knit stitch. Then she took "Kids Knitting", a ball of yarn, and the needles and went into her room. Ten minutes later she popped out again, perfectly cast-on and with a row of knit stitches neater than mine! Now if only I could get her to teach me to purl...

Deanna
Do as the goddesses did...Ovid
Go to Top of Page

gabsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

380 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  11:10:52 PM  Show Profile Send gabsmom a Private Message
My LYS is having a kids knitting 'camp' this summer. It's four days of lessons, 1.5 hours each day. I thought that might be fun for my little one. I wish they had knitting sleep-away camp for the grown-ups!
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  05:18:59 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Frenchtoast: It stands to reason that knitting would help w/math and logic. I know my daughter seems to multiply more easily now that there is a reason (that she can relate to) to do it.

Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  06:51:52 AM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by anderknit

<snipped> Did you read (in Vogue Knitting, I believe) about the knitting club one woman set up in a school during the winter? All the kids lined up sitting in the hallway during recess, knitting away.

I learned how to knit at school in the winter of 1958! A 3rd grade teacher taught us during an exceptionally cold spell, when they had to have indoor recess endlessly . . .
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  09:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
"The world would be a better place if everyone could just sit down and knit together"

Not to go too off-topic on this, but here's evidence great minds think alike: something very similar was said by a knitting historian or well-known knitter (I want to say Barbara Abbey or Barbara Walker, but I don't have the book with the quotation in it with me here at work, so I can't look it up, but it also had something about the idea of the sharing of traditional patterns and the realization that we're not so different from one another after all).

One of the great things my mother and I have in common (and had in common, during my growing up years) were that we like to do needlecrafts. And even at times when I was in a moody phase or was angry about something or wasn't all that communicative, she could often get me to talk about sewing or crocheting or something like that.

Even now, when we're both adults and are good friends, one of her regular questions to me when she calls or when I call her is "what are you working on right now?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?