Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Do you create a project worksheet?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeanine
Chatty Knitter

248 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  05:55:44 AM  Show Profile Send Jeanine a Private Message
Morning All!

A friend and I are about to start the Bed and Breakfast Sweater and I'm wondering if I should create a spreadsheet of the pattern first. I've never done this but have seen them for other projects and it seems a good way to clarify complicated bits and help one keep track. Does anyone do this? If so, what's the best way to set it up: as a table or using a spreadsheet program? (Never worked with the latter--looked at the programs on my computer this weekend but found them quite confusing.) What kind of information and format is the most helpful?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Jeanine

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  08:41:17 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
As I'm already at ease with Excel, I'm using that program to keep track of where I am in a project, because I use the program's row counters. However, you don't need to use the computer to keep track of a project, many knitters use index cards, with one line per row or one line per instruction within a row. Note cards are easy--no learning how to use software.

Hope this helps.
--Pam
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2595 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  08:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I usually start the pattern without a worksheet, and then as I struggle with the pattern, it "reveals" a better way to be organized. Sometimes it's a simple as rewriting the instructions with one row on each line of a piece of paper, with my own shorthand. Other times I go to graph paper so I can tick off the rows as I do them, sometimes it's a combo. But usually it involves something other than just using the pattern as written.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  11:16:00 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I used to keep details on all of my projects and that is an excellent learning experience. Then as my knowledge of knitting grew, I found that I needed fewer and fewer notes. I still record the yarn used,and may include a sample, the needles sizes, the gauge, and any other pertinent information such as "this yarn splits easily" but unless there is something unique about the pattern I no longer record all that information. I do keep extensive and up to date information on the sizes of those I knit for,including schematics, so if I make something for one of them I only have to check how old the sizing is and then proceed. I find that I now have most of this information in my brain and don't need all the notes, but it takes years to develop that type of information. Now I can write out a pattern for my own use in 2 or 3 lines on a file card, but of course no one else can make anything from it. I do keep a record of the yarns I buy, especially the coned yarns, because once purchased and at home on the shelf, most of the information you learned about the yarn before purchase is missing.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I rewrote the Charlottes Web pattern and a few others that are a bit confusing. I also often will photocopy the pattern and make notes and highlight my size throughout the pattern. Most of my "worksheets" are less worksheets and more hen scratches but I understand them at least.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.thekingspottery.com
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  2:25:57 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
For pattern repeats, I have been using lined notepaper and list row numbers plus the pattern repeat row, along with a Row Counter. For example, say Panel A is an 8 stitch repeat, Panel B is 12 st repeat:

1) A1, B1........9) A1, B9
2) A2, B2.......10) A2, B10
3) A3, B3.......11) A3, B11
4) A4, B4.......12) A4, B12
5) A5, B5.......13) A5, B1
6) A6, B6.......14) A6, B2
7) A7, B7.......15) A7, B3
8) A8, B8.......16) A8, B4 etc.

I rely on my row counter and just look at the pattern directions for the appropriate panel repeat info. After awhile, the pattern develops so I know what I need to do on RS/WS rows. It works for me .

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  1:59:58 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I made the B & B and found it to be a very well-written pattern. I didn't need to make notes, but I have in the past with other patterns. I look for the dreaded phrase "While At The Same Time"...

PattiG
Atlanta
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeanine
Chatty Knitter

248 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  07:39:57 AM  Show Profile Send Jeanine a Private Message
Thanks, everyone, for such good advice. I'm printing it out now to peruse at leisure.

Jeanine
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I've color coded a chart for colourwork to make it a little easier. Excel can definitely be your friend.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com

FO for 2004: 3/4 blanket and 2/3 sweater :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe