Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 selvage stitch???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

julliams
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  08:01:09 AM  Show Profile Send julliams a Private Message
The very first stitch in my pattern is "1 selvage stitch, K3......, K3, 1 selvage stitch"

What the heck is a selvage stitch?? isn't it just another knit stitch and if so why didn't they just write K4???

So very confused and I can't even start!!

Juliette

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  08:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
is the top of the sock knit flat and then sewn? this is sometimes done with argyls and other patterns.. in which case, you need 1 stitch at either end that will be hidden in the seam, so the pattern matchs perfectly..

some lace patterns are P1, (combo of knits and purls), (new repeat of pattern starting with purl 1, and the pattern ends with another purl 1 (which normally would be droped in a a pattern knit in the round.

If you are working the flap (for a heel) the first stitch is normally slipped --to create a chain stitch selvage. (when you pick up stitches for the gusset, you pick up one stitch per chain.)

Are there an NOTES about the pattern that explain the selvage stitch? (NOTES are important!)

i often cast on and knit 1 to 3 rows, then join into a round--so i often start with an extra stitch --then when i close the round, i knit the first/last stitches of the rows together.. (so i cast on 61 if i want 60 stitches for my sock..)

if the selvage stitch is going to be sewn into the seam, it doesn't matter what stitch you use for the selvage.. (if you have a lace pattern, the designer might want to differentiate between pattern and selvage.
Go to Top of Page

julliams
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  5:21:55 PM  Show Profile Send julliams a Private Message
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. It is a sweater pattern so this is why it is confusing me. I can't find anything in the book to suggest what a selvage stitch is and it does ask that I cast on a certain amount of stitches first. If they wanted me to cast on two extra stitches I would have thought they would have included them in the initial cast on amount. Will take another look through the book - certainly isn't obvious though.

Juliette
Go to Top of Page

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  10:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
Hi julliams
This stitch is usually found in German books and other European magazine. Its only an extra stitch that will be used to sew your garment together. If you follow that continuity of the pattern (ie K1, then K3...K3, 1 selvage stitch would be another Knit stitch. The pattern designer then doesn't have to worry that some of the pattern in you sweater is hidden by stitching it into the seam. Hope this clears it up a bit for you. Happy knitting.
Go to Top of Page

julliams
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  12:41:48 AM  Show Profile Send julliams a Private Message
Perfectly - thank you!!

juliette
Go to Top of Page

cheriem
Chatty Knitter

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile Send cheriem a Private Message
Is the piece a garment with straight edges? I have seen a selvage stitch as slip the first stitch in the row. That way, when you go to sew the garment together, you have a way easy time, because you usually sew two rows to a stitch anyway, and now you have one selvage stitch to every two rows!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe