Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Blocking Board
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

awgrogan@prodigy.net

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  8:07:54 PM  Show Profile Send awgrogan@prodigy.net a Private Message
Does anyone know where to find a good blocking board for sweaters? I live in southern California but am willing to mail or internet order. Thanks.

Mary D.
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  04:13:56 AM  Show Profile Send Mary D. a Private Message
I just bought the Spaceboard from patternworks.com and after blocking one sweater have decided it's worth every penny. I was previously using a much cheaper one that had warped from the moisture and it was flimsy so I had to be lay it on the floor to use it which was hard on my knees. This one is much sturdier so I just unfold it and set it on top of my ironing board. It stores easily too. The best part is that it has a one inch grid to make it easy to block things to the right size.

Hope this helps,

Mary D.
Go to Top of Page

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  08:42:48 AM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
Check the archives for posts on blocking boards. Many had wonderful ideas for home made boards. I personally use form core board with a vinyl check table cloth (the little squares are one inch).
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  5:44:37 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Check out this knitty article on making your own.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  08:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
I found a "sew-n-press" board ($16) in Jo-Ann for sewers but it is good for blocking. It is not as big as the EZ board they talked a lot about but you can get 2 and put them together ... this way, still cheaper than the EZ board.

Agnes
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  09:49:05 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I received mine for a gift from my mother. It's the best! I love it and use it for all sorts of crafts and actually the girls use it to do homework on their floor as a desk/table closed. I don't let them use it opened for anything but ironing or blocking. I love that it opens and gets great big! I have been able to block all my sweater pieces at the same time. I was not able to do that before getting mine. I got mine from here: http://www.yarn-store.com/blocking-supplies.html Its the large sew EZ board. I love it! If you don't want to make one yourself....this is the one I'd chose. I did much research and came up w/ this one. Angelika's is an awesome yarnshop. She gives some of the best customer service I have come across so far and can get a hold of ALL the Lorna's Laces yarns. Her site can be a bit difficult to browse around in, but it's so worth the effort.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

pzee
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  11:13:30 AM  Show Profile Send pzee a Private Message
Vicky By The Bay: This may seem like a really stupid question, but do the pins go right into the blocking board. I was using my ironing board and totally screwed up the cover. I had another one one time that also got screwed up from all the pins. I make a lot of sweaters, so I need something good for blocking. I just wondered, does it get a lot of poked holes in it over time. I really want to buy the one you posted at your site from Angelina's - just want to understand how it actually works.
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  12:52:27 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Not a stupid qustion pzee, I would like to know myself!!!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  2:04:15 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I just took a peek at my board because I didn't know the answer. I can't see any holes and have used pins many times. I can feel a bump here and there, but there are no "holes" that I can see. I love my board and don't remember what I did before I got this wonderful blocking board. I think I pinned things over a towel onto a spare bed or the carpet in one of the girls rooms when they were at their dads for a few days. Now I just open the board onto my dining room table and it stays there until the project is dry, steamed, and blocked! Angelika will get your order right off to the company who ships them to you. They do take a couple weeks to a month to come. I think they make them as the orders come into them.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

pzee
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  3:06:35 PM  Show Profile Send pzee a Private Message
Thanks "vicky by the bay." Like you used to (after ruining one sewing blocking board and my ironing cover), I use a towel spread out on a cutting table or the floor. I'll order right away.
Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  5:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
AllBrands.com has blocking board kits. I bought the fabric from them and used a piece cotton padding and homosote for the backing. You can get the pad from them, too. The fabric is holding up well; no pin holes.

StephanieR
A priest, a rabbi, and a minister all walk into a stich-n-beach...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe