Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The real value of hand knit sweaters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Janice
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  1:43:57 PM  Show Profile Send Janice a Private Message
I used to wear on old wool pullover from my dad's teen years. Complete with leather patches on the elbows. I wonder whatever became of that. He still has the matching socks (not that he's ever worn them), and they're probably 60 years old.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

sla
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  3:03:49 PM  Show Profile Send sla a Private Message
It wasn't knit, it was sewn by my great grandmother. It was a First Communion veil that my grandmother wore in 1900 and I wore in 1952. I still have it packed away in tissue paper. It is now 104 years old.
As for a knitted item, I made a blanket for my daughter in 1964 and her daughters used it in 1997 and 1998. She then handed it down to my other daughter to use for her baby born in 2002. It now is folded over my old children's rocking chair and the granddaughters use it for their dolls.It still looks beautiful after 40 years.
sla
Go to Top of Page

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  3:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
I have a sweater that my grandmother made for me when I was a baby and I am 27 with my own baby now! In addition, this sweater has been worn by my brother and sister and cousins. It is an awesome yellow sweater with an orange intarsia sun and the saying "You are my sunshine". Sooooo cute.

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  11:27:02 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
I have a sweater I made in the early seventies, ORANGE mohair! I took it out again about a year ago, and it's still in style. I wear it when I can stand the itchy scratchy! It still is lovely looking but not very soft!

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pete
Warming Up

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  07:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pete's Homepage Send Pete a Private Message
My story is a little different. Probably the oldest, and certainly the most cherished, piece of handknitting I own is a big Aran cardigan I knit for my grandmother at least 15 years ago. She wore it almost every day. Near the end of her life, she became frail and progressively lost weight. Even in the summers of Alabama, my home state, she would wear that cardigan. She made us all hot just looking at her. When she passed away, 12 years this September, the cardigan was returned to me. Now I wear it sometimes and it always feels like a big hug from my granny. When we knit things for other people, I guess we never ever think about it coming back to us that directly, huh?
Go to Top of Page

KAB
Chatty Knitter

194 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  05:03:51 AM  Show Profile Send KAB a Private Message
When a new baby arrives in our family my mother knits each one a Christmas stocking. She lovingly knits in a reindeer, snowman or Christmas Tree pattern and each childs name across the top. This tradition started with her oldest child(me)and continues thru her four children and their spouses and their children. So 52 years later this Christmas I will still hang up mine.

Karen in N.C.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
Go to Top of Page

sucka4yarn
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  11:08:46 PM  Show Profile Send sucka4yarn a Private Message
Well, I'm kind of a new knitter, so my sweaters aren't that old yet, but I do have a blanket that I made 20 years ago. And that was with cheap yarn!

An optimist feels we live in the best of times...a pessimist fears this is true.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?