Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 K1C2 Tartelette ribbon yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  09:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
If you missed the review, you can read it here:

/goto.asp?goto=Tartelette

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  2:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
{{[snickers at the word tartelette, remembering a certain Friends episode with Jon Lovitz}}}

Sorry, just had to.

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  2:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
{{[snickers at the word tartelette, remembering a certain Friends episode with Jon Lovitz}}}

Sorry, just had to.

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

Margaret
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  5:11:16 PM  Show Profile Send Margaret a Private Message
Handworks Gallery says Tartelette is 50/50 silk/merino. Is it cotton or silk? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Margaret

Go to Top of Page

Margaret
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  5:11:16 PM  Show Profile Send Margaret a Private Message
Handworks Gallery says Tartelette is 50/50 silk/merino. Is it cotton or silk? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Margaret

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  6:28:37 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
merino is a super soft high quality wool, so that yarn would be 1/2 silk and 1/2 wool.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  6:28:37 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
merino is a super soft high quality wool, so that yarn would be 1/2 silk and 1/2 wool.

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  06:19:09 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Thanks for the review on ribbon yarn. I've never knit ribbon and hadn't thought about the snagging. I saw a really nice scarf made from one strand of mohair knit with one strand of a ribbon yarn and it was gorgeous. Maybe these types of yarn are not great for garments but could be used as accessories.

The color of the yarn is beautiful.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  06:19:09 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Thanks for the review on ribbon yarn. I've never knit ribbon and hadn't thought about the snagging. I saw a really nice scarf made from one strand of mohair knit with one strand of a ribbon yarn and it was gorgeous. Maybe these types of yarn are not great for garments but could be used as accessories.

The color of the yarn is beautiful.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

elka_knits@hotmail.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  7:01:50 PM  Show Profile Send elka_knits@hotmail.com a Private Message
Semi affiliated because I knit sample garments for K1C2 but this also means I have knit more than a few things in Tartelette ribbon....

I admit Tartelette can be pierced by knitting needle--what you called splitty I believe--but this is because the needle was inserted into the strand not into the loop. The splittiness is therefore no different than if somebody had inserted the needle into a plied wool. And I was surprised to see you say it wasn't going to be a sweater one would wear to a football game. I can no more imagine anybody wearing a ribbon yarn to play a rugged game than I could see them doing so in an eyelash or glitz yarn. This is a luxery yarn and one of the best of its type--the cotton gives it a nicer heft and feel than say Berrocos Glace and the nylon gives it more sheen and drape than Vittadini's Olivia both of which cost as much if not more than Tartelette and are knit at a finer gauge therefore requiring more yardage to complete a garment. I love this yarn and have had no problems with it snagging on my hands at all and they are not that smooth--I have excema[sp?] esp on my hands and haven't bothered to manicure for years. I do work a lot with laceweight yarns and those definitely snag or want to catch on my hands.... As to the twisting during knitting sadly more than true. Its the nature of ribbon yarns to corkscrew upon knitting. I personally stick a needle into the ball of yarn and dangle it from my garment[allowing it to untwist itself] while knitting. This would not be possible with any other ribbon yarn I have worked with. The fact that you can insert your needle into this particular ribbon yarn and not have it destroy either the yarn or the finished fabric is a huge huge plus for untangling the yarn as you are knitting
Go to Top of Page

elka_knits@hotmail.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  7:01:50 PM  Show Profile Send elka_knits@hotmail.com a Private Message
Semi affiliated because I knit sample garments for K1C2 but this also means I have knit more than a few things in Tartelette ribbon....

I admit Tartelette can be pierced by knitting needle--what you called splitty I believe--but this is because the needle was inserted into the strand not into the loop. The splittiness is therefore no different than if somebody had inserted the needle into a plied wool. And I was surprised to see you say it wasn't going to be a sweater one would wear to a football game. I can no more imagine anybody wearing a ribbon yarn to play a rugged game than I could see them doing so in an eyelash or glitz yarn. This is a luxery yarn and one of the best of its type--the cotton gives it a nicer heft and feel than say Berrocos Glace and the nylon gives it more sheen and drape than Vittadini's Olivia both of which cost as much if not more than Tartelette and are knit at a finer gauge therefore requiring more yardage to complete a garment. I love this yarn and have had no problems with it snagging on my hands at all and they are not that smooth--I have excema[sp?] esp on my hands and haven't bothered to manicure for years. I do work a lot with laceweight yarns and those definitely snag or want to catch on my hands.... As to the twisting during knitting sadly more than true. Its the nature of ribbon yarns to corkscrew upon knitting. I personally stick a needle into the ball of yarn and dangle it from my garment[allowing it to untwist itself] while knitting. This would not be possible with any other ribbon yarn I have worked with. The fact that you can insert your needle into this particular ribbon yarn and not have it destroy either the yarn or the finished fabric is a huge huge plus for untangling the yarn as you are knitting
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  7:46:29 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
As a very adventuring soul, I don't think I even want to try ribbon knitting. I can't remember my mother and aunt complaining about it when they were ribbon knitting in the '40's. In those days though, kids didn't know all that was going on. We had other things to worry about like WWII. Things come and things go and come back--nothing new under the sun. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  7:46:29 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
As a very adventuring soul, I don't think I even want to try ribbon knitting. I can't remember my mother and aunt complaining about it when they were ribbon knitting in the '40's. In those days though, kids didn't know all that was going on. We had other things to worry about like WWII. Things come and things go and come back--nothing new under the sun. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  05:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Oh. I assumed the reviewer meant you would not wear this yarn to watch a football game - that it was a luxury yarn to be made into eveningwear. I bought a skein of it to experiment with because it was so interesting looking. And it has lovely colors, too. The paprika red (my name for it) is one of my favorite colors and hard to find. it just begs me to knit it into a cap sleeve sort of thing so after experimentation and IF i ever get some of my projects done, and if the corn crop is good - I will get some more.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  05:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Oh. I assumed the reviewer meant you would not wear this yarn to watch a football game - that it was a luxury yarn to be made into eveningwear. I bought a skein of it to experiment with because it was so interesting looking. And it has lovely colors, too. The paprika red (my name for it) is one of my favorite colors and hard to find. it just begs me to knit it into a cap sleeve sort of thing so after experimentation and IF i ever get some of my projects done, and if the corn crop is good - I will get some more.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  10:29:18 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, BessH: Hopefully you will have a great corn crop so you can get more Tartelette. This is the third time I have tried to put through this message and you know what they say about the third time. Hope it works. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  10:29:18 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, BessH: Hopefully you will have a great corn crop so you can get more Tartelette. This is the third time I have tried to put through this message and you know what they say about the third time. Hope it works. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

winjo9994@aol.com
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  10:57:47 AM  Show Profile Send winjo9994@aol.com a Private Message
Yes, I also remember knitting with ribbon in the early 50,s and it was far from easy, in fact I think it was one of the few things I gave up on. The cost of this Tartelette (What a name, I know wht it conjurs up for me)to me is way out of line, but maybe I am just getting really chinzy in my old age. I would like to try it (and I have spun a lot of Merino, and its beautiful) but doubt that I will because it is so expensive. W.Joan.

W.J.Hall
Go to Top of Page

winjo9994@aol.com
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  10:57:47 AM  Show Profile Send winjo9994@aol.com a Private Message
Yes, I also remember knitting with ribbon in the early 50,s and it was far from easy, in fact I think it was one of the few things I gave up on. The cost of this Tartelette (What a name, I know wht it conjurs up for me)to me is way out of line, but maybe I am just getting really chinzy in my old age. I would like to try it (and I have spun a lot of Merino, and its beautiful) but doubt that I will because it is so expensive. W.Joan.

W.J.Hall
Go to Top of Page

elka_knits@hotmail.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  8:21:44 PM  Show Profile Send elka_knits@hotmail.com a Private Message
OHHHHHHHH guess I was being over sensitive. I adore this yarn and use snippets of it as ring markers so I think it holds out well. It is extreemly popular which I know is not a excellent indicator of quality but I do not see yarn shop owners reordering it en masse if they are getting many complaints either. K1C2 told me it is their most popular and impossible to keep in stock yarn and Hey they doubled the number of colors to 20 so look for more this fall. Being midwestern I do not wear eyelash yarns[except for as a very small 1 ball only neck scarf shhhhhhhh] or metallic yarns but I am planning on springing on some of the black/pewter/ silver colorway[NEW this fall] and make myself a V-Neck Tunic to wear to holiday events. It is a very elegant yarn.

BTW in the 40s and 50s ribbon yarn knitters were fanatic about having the ribbon lay flat on the needle and having the left side of ribbon always be on left side of stitch etc[NO I am not so old I just remember a talk about it amongst knitter guild habitues] but today you can let it fall willy nilly and enjoy the resulting fabric....
Go to Top of Page

elka_knits@hotmail.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  8:21:44 PM  Show Profile Send elka_knits@hotmail.com a Private Message
OHHHHHHHH guess I was being over sensitive. I adore this yarn and use snippets of it as ring markers so I think it holds out well. It is extreemly popular which I know is not a excellent indicator of quality but I do not see yarn shop owners reordering it en masse if they are getting many complaints either. K1C2 told me it is their most popular and impossible to keep in stock yarn and Hey they doubled the number of colors to 20 so look for more this fall. Being midwestern I do not wear eyelash yarns[except for as a very small 1 ball only neck scarf shhhhhhhh] or metallic yarns but I am planning on springing on some of the black/pewter/ silver colorway[NEW this fall] and make myself a V-Neck Tunic to wear to holiday events. It is a very elegant yarn.

BTW in the 40s and 50s ribbon yarn knitters were fanatic about having the ribbon lay flat on the needle and having the left side of ribbon always be on left side of stitch etc[NO I am not so old I just remember a talk about it amongst knitter guild habitues] but today you can let it fall willy nilly and enjoy the resulting fabric....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?