Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 does your knitting stylechange in the hot weather?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nelleknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  09:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Nelleknits a Yahoo! Message Send Nelleknits a Private Message
It has been in the high 80's here for the last few days and to tlee you the truth after 9 am things get a little sticky and wool is no fun.
What do you knit in the summer? I am thinking of switching to novelty yarns and doing some scarves. for now till I get to the yarn store, I am reading about knitting and looking at patterns as welll as reading and writing here.

MaryEllen :)
Washington State

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  09:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
In the summer I knit items for the winter, in the winter I knit items for the summer.
Here are some other threads relating to this topic:

http://knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16018&SearchTerms=knitting,in,summer,

http://knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14068&SearchTerms=knitting,in,summer,
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
My primary change is that I knit at a table to keep the garment off my lap. It's cooler that way. With a/c I don't make much of a change in what I am knitting.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Nelleknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  10:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Nelleknits a Yahoo! Message Send Nelleknits a Private Message
oh, sorry didn't realize this was already a topic. Thanks for the info.

Washington State
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  12:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
I knit more socks because they don't hit your lap at all.

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  2:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by nitwhit

oh, sorry didn't realize this was already a topic. Thanks for the info.
Washington State

I just posted the links as more info - didn't mean that your topic was a repeat. Lots of similar topics come up in different ways at different times and are always interesting since there are new KR knitters to post new opinions and answers.
Everybody, keep on posting!!! That's what makes KR interesting.
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  5:37:10 PM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
This is my first year knitting, but I tend to knit whatever piques my interest, without regard to season. I am currently knitting a sweater made from a cotton/novelty mix yarn (Berroco Cliche Colors), but it is long sleeved and I will wear it in the cooler months. I'm in So. California, so it never gets that cold.

I am also knitting some socks and plan to start on some sweaters for the Fall and Winter. In between all those projects, I plan to knit scarves, ponchos and quick tank tops/halters for my daughters.

Jeannine
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  10:19:04 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
I've had to stop work on an afghan that I'm making holding two strands of Plymouth Encore on size 17 needles for my boyfriend since it still feels well over 90 even near bedtime. I'd hate to imagine my electric bill if I kept it cool enough to be covered with an afghan during summer.

Other than that, stuff pretty much stays the same.
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  10:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
It's very hot here right now too so I have put aside the Bed and Breakfast pullover to knit up a summer tank top in a lightweight crochet cotton. It was a spur of the moment decision when I was sweating under the B&B. I decided that I might be able to finish the tank top in time to wear it THIS summer, and still have time to finish the B&B in time for the cooler weather in the fall.

-Marlene-
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  11:12:16 AM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
I like to knit for the winter in the summer too, but if I'm going to be outside, I will choose something small, like socks, hats, afghan squares, etc. I never seem to end up knitting things to wear in the summer. Too hot, even in cotton.

--Heather

He Rest O Pand Spen Das Oci Alho Ur In Harm Les Smirt Hand funl Et fri Ends Hip Re Ign Beju Stand Kin Dan Devils Peak of No Ne!
Go to Top of Page

Nelleknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  12:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Nelleknits a Yahoo! Message Send Nelleknits a Private Message
I find I am doing socks socks and more socks.

Washington State
Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  12:46:04 PM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
I am doing socks and smaller items (ie scarves or baby/kid items) in more cotton or cotton/blends. Though I will also do some wool, I have an afghan that I have to finish (wedding present) though it is so big now I am hoping to finish soon and can't work on it if it is too hot out!
Go to Top of Page

Knidda
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  1:44:19 PM  Show Profile Send Knidda a Private Message
I'm working on a few different projects. The blanket I work on in the a/c or in the shade, the small "fashion" boa/scarf I work on while I'm out and about. Unless I'm cold, I tend to have my projects on my side and just what I'm working on in my lap. If I'm cold, I throw it over my legs.

It's been hot here, but I'm obsessed, so I never stop...

"The [enlightened one] loves all living beings as if each were his only child." Vimalakirtinirdesha Sutra 5
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  8:38:15 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
MaryEllen, I'm in WA too & it's hotter than blazes! We don't have a/c (like most people here) & I use cotton while we have these "heat waves".

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  9:14:51 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
Trina, I remember when we were looking for an apartment in Seattle and I asked our prospective landlord if there was a/c, and she was absolutely dumbfounded that I would even want it. It rarely got above the mid-70s--occasionally into the 80s... Seattle in summer is truly paradise. And I got a lot of cool knitting done.

--Heather

He Rest O Pand Spen Das Oci Alho Ur In Harm Les Smirt Hand funl Et fri Ends Hip Re Ign Beju Stand Kin Dan Devils Peak of No Ne!
Go to Top of Page

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
It is in the high 60's in Northern Wisconsin. Great knitting weather. But I know time will come when it will get very hot. I had a bunch of cotton baby sweaters planned for hot weather.

But, the idea of knitting at a table eliminates that all together! Imagine the freedom! A person could knit whatever they wanted no matter the temperature. Now, I will probably re-align my projects and sneak in one wool sweater. If I begin now, it will likely be done by the time the seasons right to wear it.
Go to Top of Page

Knitterbugs
Chatty Knitter

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  09:12:45 AM  Show Profile Send Knitterbugs a Private Message
I swith to smaller projects like scarves.

~Pam

Knitterbugs
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeefdwd/knitterbugs
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  09:13:11 AM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
Well, seeing that it is well over 100 degrees here, with no end in sight, I'm knitting cotton tanks and shells like crazy. Summer seems to last from March to December here in sunny AZ, so sleeveless cotton tops get a LOT of use. Even looking at pictures of big, long sleeved sweaters makes me hot, so nothing but cool summer knitting here. I do work on socks as well, but even a small wool project can be too much when it gets over 110. My hands sweat and the wool starts to feel very itchy..........

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Nelleknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Nelleknits a Yahoo! Message Send Nelleknits a Private Message
Trina whrere in Washington are you?
Heather when we moved here, it seemed no one but the people in Eastern Wa got the really hot weather. Lately though, things have changed and it keeps getting hotter and more humid ugh. Today it is only going to be in the 70's.

Washington State
Go to Top of Page

Redrobin
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  2:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Redrobin's Homepage Send Redrobin a Private Message
Living in Massachusetts means never being stuck with the same weather more than a couple days in a row, at least in the summer. Just when you get used to it being hot, it will be 60 for a few days. So I like to keep a couple projects going at the same time. Small stuff (or planning new stuff) for the hot days, and the great big project I want to wear when the long freeze comes around again for the cold days;)
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  6:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
Rats! I spent all day cleaning house and dashing about....so no knitting.....now evening is here but it is SO hot that my hands are sweaty and sticky and I can't even knit the cotton tank top. *sigh* Looks like a knitless day. :-(

-Marlene-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.