Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Beware: Lion Brand Chenille Thick n' Quick
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
If you still have this yarn hanging about you might want to try one of those "Boa-style" scarves and yes it's a "minimal skills" crochet scarf but it would work well with a big fat chunky chenille.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

cosmic
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  4:04:00 PM  Show Profile Send cosmic a Private Message
Maybe it's just me, first time I knitted it for a scarf, no problems worming, shedding or anything. I love the stuff and I would use it again.
Go to Top of Page

mayflwr
New Pal

35 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  12:43:18 PM  Show Profile Send mayflwr a Private Message
hehe i love it too!

I knitted a beautiful scarf out of it with zero problems- the color/ texture/ appearance was gorgeous! One of my friends liked it so much she bought it from me!

a fun lil blog ;)
http://www.xanga.com/mayflwr
Go to Top of Page

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
When I first got into knitting several years ago I bought a bunch of the Thick and Quick. Then I discovered all my LYSs and became a "yarn snob". The Thick and Quick has sat in my stash until a few months ago when I decided to make a throw with it. To my surprise I found it to look nice when knitted up! I am using a feather and fan stitch and I am a super-loose knitter so I am only using size 10 needles. I don't have any problems with shedding or worming!

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  7:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
I made several scarves out of the chenille and they turned out beautifully. I knit them on needles smaller than it probably should have been knitted on, but it made a wonderfully plush scarf. I didn't have much problems with shedding, but I noticed that some of the multi color skeins in the store were shedding. I also discovered that if you knit it, you didn't dare unravel it. Then it really started to shed!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  07:43:22 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I'm experiencing a lot of worming in my DD's sweater from sweaterkits. Glad to know it is not just me. I hope it comes out in the washer and dryer, but otherwise, I will just tell her it is a decoration, and chalk it up to experience. Except I have another chenille kit for myself, and I will not tolerate worms on my sweater!

Debra
Go to Top of Page

Juanita in NZ
Warming Up

New Zealand
59 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  9:26:49 PM  Show Profile Send Juanita in NZ a Private Message
I was very interestd to read all the comments on chenille, and I wish I had read them all before I included it in a sweater I recently made! The sweater is knit out of lots of different yarns (lots of ends to sew in!)all with blue/earth tones, and it's really warm and fits me well. BUT at the end of each wear, I have these big 'worms' just hanging down, so I don't wear it again until I've used a needle to either pull the worms through to the other side, or tried to pull each one gradually down the row so it disappears again. So disappointing!

Is there anything else I can do to fix up this constant problem, because I love this sweater, and people tell me how nice it looks.
Go to Top of Page

Sportweight
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  2:13:16 PM  Show Profile Send Sportweight a Private Message
The only chenille type yarn I've ever used is Caron Jewel Box. I made a scarf with it last winter. I've received lots of compliments on it but I didn't particularly enjoy knitting with it. I did find, however, that when I went down one needle size, it went much better. I doubt that I would use chenille for anything again. That being said, chunky chenille does sound perfect for a soft winter throw/blanket.

Sportweight
Go to Top of Page

KnitWits
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  07:34:12 AM  Show Profile Send KnitWits a Private Message
Oh how I wish I'd found this forum before I went out and bought the Chenille Thick N Quick yarn! I was going to make a scarf for my mom, and as a beginner, I found it VERY hard to work with. I kept trying different things to make it easier (and look nicer), but I ended up giving up on it and returning the unused skein.

I've also given up on the boucle yarn -- novelty yarns are not for me, I guess!
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  10:08:58 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Confession. I did the most horrible thing - my daughter's sweaterkits sweater is adorable - except there are worms all over. Washing and drying did nothing - it is 100% acrylic chenille. So I tacked the worms down on the wrong side. It is absolutly lovely on the outside, but I get an F because of the inside. I will never let her unbotton the sweater, under penalty of ? (I can't threaten to never knit her something ever again, cause she doesn't care.)

Debra
Go to Top of Page

Lyntintin
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  9:21:45 PM  Show Profile Send Lyntintin a Private Message
I just started a vest in the thick and quick and I;m a bit nervous from some of your experiences. I LOVE the feel of it but I did notice you cannot unravel it because it sheds something fierce!! I'm only abt 3" into this vest and so far so good....lets hope it keeps up!
Go to Top of Page

Roberta

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  1:51:17 PM  Show Profile Send Roberta a Private Message
All chenille yarns are somewhat difficult to work with. LB Chenielle is especially bad though. I knitted an afgan with it-nothing fancy, just garter stitch. It still was sort of hard to work with. It shed badly and when that happens the center thread is exposed and will tangle up. Do not pull it our and reknit. It loses lots of fibers while ripping out making even more "bald spots" which will tangle more when you reknit.

I used the afgan for about three years and it continued to shed badly. After awhile it gets a little ratty looking too.

Personally, I will never use this yarn again. Hard to knit with and doesn't wear well, not a good combo in a yarn.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  2:35:30 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Funny how the experiences are varied with this yarn...I haven't had any worming, and I do find it a bit difficult to work with. But frankly, not more difficult that a cotton...it just isn't elastic. I frogged a swatch and that was a bit of a disaster, I couldn't reuse that yarn, but other than that, I don't love it, don't hate it. Sort of like cauliflower.

kim in oregon

http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingfever04
Chatty Knitter

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  11:56:49 AM  Show Profile Send knittingfever04 a Private Message
I unraveled a swatch that was knit in chenille and the yarn was never the same again.
Go to Top of Page

Knitlin
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  1:40:00 PM  Show Profile Send Knitlin a Private Message
Thanks for all this talk about LB Chenelle thick and quick. I was thinking about making a poncho out of it, but now I think I will find a different yarn. I just don't want to do all the work and end up not liking the outcome. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

Linda

knitlin
Go to Top of Page

Linnie
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  5:57:19 PM  Show Profile Send Linnie a Private Message
The first thing I ever knitted was a scarf with LB's T&Q Chenille, the only problem I had with it was a little shedding, nothing major. I found it a good yarn for me, due to having a few problems with tension, it was hard to see any differences in tension, unlike when I practiced with a finer yarn. I like it, and being a beginner, if I had no problems with this, I should be able to knit with anything! LOL
Go to Top of Page

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
I wouldn't say that I love the stuff, but I made a feather and fan afghan from some that I had lying around in the stash and it turned out pretty well. I can only see two places where there are "worms" and mine doesn't shed at all. Maybe the quality varies from lot to lot?

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  09:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
You know, that is what bugs me about LB, some batches are great, and some are really bad, and that's on all their yarns.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  10:07:36 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
The afghan I made my DD didn't have the worming problem, BUT a 4-inch swath along one side just disintegrated. It is not like she has been dragging it around (it has been on her bed, most of the time folded up at the foot.) All that work down the tubes. AND the afghan I made DS has worms everywhere. It looks like it should be given to the dog (except he'd eat it).
~Rebecca

"Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  6:03:47 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Rebecca, I don't mean to say I'm happy you had worming, but it is comforting to know it is not just me!

Debra
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.