Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Difficult Knitting Technique
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  2:20:01 PM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message
I have a hard time following patterns. It is probably because I have issues with authority (lol), and hate to be TOLD anything!

Truly, I still cannot follow a chart to save my life. One of these days I will figure it out, but for now, anything with a chart is beyond me! It makes sense when someone explains to me how to read the chart, but when I look at it, I get confuzzled. So for now, I am just muddling along, reading all the techniques I can find, and "inventing" my patterns as I go. I have learned an awful lot about how knitted fabrics work, with draping, crispness of stitches, and what types of seams ought to go where, even though I know I am rediscovering all the knitting techniques the hard way. Somehow, it just works for me to be so hard-headed!

I haven't tackled entrelac or fair isle yet, because I want to learn how to knit backwards first. Right now, I am in a cable-crazy phase and have a sweater on the needles I'm doing in the round with TONS of small 4-stitch cables all the way around. I just love the row after the cn row! It's like magic watching the pattern form!

It was also an epiphany to realize exactly why garter stich is not the same as reverse stockinette, and why trying to do garter stitch circularly will drive me batty!(I was trying to convert a pieced sweater to a one-piece circ method)

Still, even though I have issues with charts and patterns, it just means I can dissect them and use what I like! So I can use the easy armhole with the cool cables, and the cute neckline with the shaped tank body! Nobody has to know I didn't do it the "right" way! As long as it looks the way I want, and fits, who cares.

And the very best part of all is that if I get stuck, I have this great bunch of friends who will fish me out! I would never have stuck with kntting without all the great folks here at KR, and I would have really missed a great thing! Thanks, Y'all!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  5:22:58 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Since there are so many things I've never even tried, I'm not sure what the most difficult thing is. I find that if I can picture it in my head, if I know what I'm trying to accomplish, I can do it.

Short rows seemed way too complicated when I was just following instructions for sock heels, but the explanation in Knitting in Plain English made it understandable. I learned double knitting from Principles of Knitting, as well as a sort of backwards long-tail cast-on. I've adapted the double knitting to lots of uses, including sideways mitts. I tend to wnat to use a new technique over and over once I understand it, so the double knitting got used for pockets as well.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4165 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  5:34:47 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I'm a new knitter, and what seems difficult today will hopefully be a piece of cake in a few months. I have a newborn confidence today because I finally GOT the kitchener stitch..I was finishing my first sock today and the kitchener stitch not only made sense while I was doing it, but it looks great. After a few stitches I didn't even have to go back and read the pattern, I just knew what felt right.

Looking forward to more challenges,

kim in oregon

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

terivan
Chatty Knitter

Australia
240 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  5:34:22 PM  Show Profile Send terivan a Private Message
I have done the Kitchener stitch a few times now, but still have to look up the directions each time. Only one of the 3 books that I have it in talks my language (Sweater Design in Plain English), and I always forget which one it is. However, I do have to concentrate - don't anyone talk to me in the middle of it !
Go to Top of Page

Artemis
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  9:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Artemis a Yahoo! Message Send Artemis a Private Message
The hardest thing I had to learn (so far) was short rows when doing aran lattice work around corners. When I finally got that right, I was so proud of myself. My next big project, lace work. I just haven't tried, and I want to. badly. I think lacework is very elegant and I would love to make something to pass on to my god-daughters. To see photo's of my very short list of knitwork (unfortunately, all my best stuff were gifts that I gave away and I didn't have a digital camera at the time).

http://photos.yahoo.com/artemisxlr8
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  05:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
You know, I don't really have an answer to this question--every time I've tackled something I thought would be really hard, it's turned out not to be. Cabling, lace, short rows, sock heels, fair isle, intarsia . . . some I like more than others, but none of it has turned out to be too difficult. It was just the figuring-out part that was challenging!

I suppose that's a nice, little, encapsulated life lesson right there--don't be afraid to try something you think will be too hard; chances are it will be easier than you think. (grin)

Deb in NJ
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  9:10:23 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Iv'e answered this once already, but something else has come to mind. My brain seems to develop a short circuit when it comes to lace designs. I count the sts in my head, and it all seems hunky dory, then when I actually knit it, I've got one too many (or too few) sts. Sometimes it takes me days to get a few rows done correctly, and when I fianlly get it, it seems soooo obvious.

Then the next pattern, I have to start all over again!

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

CBass
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  07:31:19 AM  Show Profile Send CBass a Private Message
acred
Go to Top of Page

CBass
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  07:42:56 AM  Show Profile Send CBass a Private Message
Whoops - didn't realize I was logged on!

I taught myself entrelac and even learned how to knit backwards out of necessity because I got so tired of turning my work. I completed a bag in the round in Brown Sheep wool/mohair and felted it. Wow - it's really beautiful. I love the result but it's kind of fussy so I have not done it again although I'd really love to do the Noro entrelac sweater.

The hardest by far was the Kitchener stitch. I just couldn't follow the directions even those with accompanying pictures puzzled me. I spent hours, ripping out and trying again and again. Finally, I just concentrated on what the stitch should look like and voila, I had it! I couldn't write down what I did so now I understand why reading someone else's instructions didn't help me. However, someone said that watching closely while ripping out stockinette helps understand the construction of the stitch and I believe that's true.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?