Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 pricing yarn in store!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mary pat
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  6:58:09 PM  Show Profile Send mary pat a Private Message
The only LYS in my area did not price the yarn. You would have to look at a flyer to find the price of the yarn you wanted. The flyer was about 10 pages thick. They have good inventory. Now all the prices are in a computer< you have to ask the price and wait for them to look up the price between ringing other people out.We now have 2 other stores that price their yarn.

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  10:35:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I hate it when there isn't a price on things, no matter what kind of store I am in. Quite often I am just browsing and want to know a price, but if I have to ask I feel like they expect me to purchase the item.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 15 FOs, 2 WIPs, 1 frog

Everyone has a photographic memory, most people have no film in the camera.
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  07:13:40 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Amen to that! I hate feeling like I'm imposing, especially since I check price on anything I pick up, even though I'm not necessarily planning a project with it.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  07:17:45 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
I really dislike stores that do not have their prices clearly posted. My favorite LYS has 3X5 index cards taped to each shelf giving details about the yarn--recommended needle sizes, fiber content, price, etc. I find that very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  07:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
with computers, (and most stores even if they don't use a point of sale inventory system, do use computers to track sales/inventory/and other info) it is so easy to have clear information about yarn..

the name, the color, the yardage, the price.. (and maybe even a update--like limited stock.. or --maybe we general stock X colors.. special orders can take up to 6 months to be delivered.. or Special orders on this yarn can be fullfilled in 2 weeks or less.

all that information is important.. a yarn i like, but think is too expensive.. i might buy right now, if i know, right up front, its a limited stock..

and a yarn that is only ho-hum.. might be my first choice if i know i can special order a color or quantity i want, and not wait a year and day for delivery.

getting this info used to be hard, and getting it printed used to mean hand copying it out.. now, you can cut/copy/paste/print.. if printed on self stick labels, its handy and can be kept up to date! label maker tape is more expensive, but it does look so much nicer.

a million years ago, when i worked in a retail fabric shop we had labels with much of this info, and sometimes, a special code that helped the manager decide which fabrics he was able(willing) to discount further for large purchases.

some of the customers broke the code.. and they would search for the extra discounted fabrics .. (there were still families then --perhaps they still exist now.. but i never see them--who would co-ordinate all their kids clothes.. so on Easter, all the kids wore if not the same fabric, co-ordinate fabrics.. all the girls in the same floral print with solid colored trim, all the boys with vest or shirts of a co-ordinating plaid, their pants a matching solid.

with big families, (5 to 7 kids) the women were buying bolts! and they quickly learned which fabrics they could buy by the bolt even cheaper than the posted price.

i bet there are still women who want to knit bedspreads, or matching sweaters, or other items that require 30 to 40 ro 50 balls of yarn.. post a small notice about volume discounts too..
(you should see the quantities of yarn that smiley's sells at their hotel sales.. people walk away with 4 and 5 bundles, each made up of 5 to 10 balls of yarn. there are bulk buyers out there! LYS owners should make an effort to catch some of that business.

See my photo albums, password for guests, oftroy
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  1:54:35 PM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
When there is not a price on an item, I am apt to say loud enough for the LYS folks to hear, "This must be free, there is no price on it."

Amazing how fast they tell you how much it is!

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  12:11:33 PM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
Neither of my LYS have prices on the yarn. The one I like best does have it up on the back of a filing cabinet where you can find the price without having to ask them. It would be nice though to have it on the skein wrapper.
Go to Top of Page

sarahsthreads
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit sarahsthreads's Homepage Send sarahsthreads a Private Message
I agree that visible prices are important, but not on the wrapper, please - for one thing, they're not generally all that careful about where they put the tag, and often obscure important information like yardage or care instructions, and for another, it just adds a new level of guilt when I can mentally add up how much the yarn sitting in my stash actually cost!

Sarah :)

http://sarahsthreads.com/journal/
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
I dont like asking how much something is.. no matter what store, because most of the time im not going to buy it, im just looking and seeing if its in my price range, both the LYS i have have prices clearly marked, i LOVE it, one has them on the wrapper, and the other has all the info printed on a piece of paper stuck to the front of the shelf, i love it!

- Katie

"Say what you mean, and mean what you say"

The next generation of knitters :-)
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  4:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sarahsthreads

not on the wrapper, please - for one thing, they're not generally all that careful about where they put the tag, and often obscure important information

So true. I have tried to peel off many price stickers that covered the little chart with gauge & needle size printed on the ball band. The stores need to use tiny price stickers or thin jewelry bar code stickers or just put the price on the shelf.
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  11:14:33 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
I hadn't thought of that. I know that I hate it when they put a price/bar code thing on the back of paperback books and then you can't see what the book is about.

On the shelf would be good.
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  1:19:14 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by goneisland2

When there is not a price on an item, I am apt to say loud enough for the LYS folks to hear, "This must be free, there is no price on it."

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA

My tactic exactly!

2004 FO's: 8; WIP's 3
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  3:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Why not take an armload of skeins up to the counter and ask the prices of all of them. Then tell them you don't want them now and walk out! If that happened often enough, surely the owner would get the message and post prices where customers can see them!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

cranberriefox
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  4:03:08 PM  Show Profile Send cranberriefox a Private Message
You are so daft- a yarn shop has the right to do whatever they want in their shop. You do have the choice of not shopping there. Besides, who would want a customer like you- demanding and screaming! What a beast you must be

quote:
Originally posted by goneisland2

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  07:36:40 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Well, cranberrie, we're generally a pretty calm group around here. We may make jokes, but we're not apt to actually demand and scream. We just get frustrated sometimes. I'm sure that's happened to you. We just let off steam here. Don't think we're a bunch of loonies.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  08:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:

This is a very common comment that people make when an item in any type of store is not priced or if the ticket has fallen off. Each of them thinks he/she is so clever to have thought it up. The people working in the store are not the least bit moved by the comment (since they have heard it a million times) but, just as if you ask nicely, they are generally very happy to find the price for you since, believe it or not, they are actually there to sell as much as they can.
Go to Top of Page

cranberriefox
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile Send cranberriefox a Private Message
Thanks for the explanation lemons! My experiences at yarn shops have been generally kind, open, and bonding. Sorry to take the comments to heart- but I have seen yarn shops mistreated too. By the way, my comments were not directed towards you.

quote:
Originally posted by lemons

Well, cranberrie, we're generally a pretty calm group around here. We may make jokes, but we're not apt to actually demand and scream. We just get frustrated sometimes. I'm sure that's happened to you. We just let off steam here. Don't think we're a bunch of loonies.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

Hilltop Yarn
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  11:23:24 PM  Show Profile Send Hilltop Yarn a Private Message
As a shop owner, I truly enjoyed reading how different your opinions are regarding signage. I can tell you, signage is one of the most difficult issues a shop can face.

At my shop the yarns are received into an inventory database and stickered with a small barcode. When we first opened, the barcodes were too big, so after we had built up a fair amount of capital, we were able to invest in some pretty complex equipment that printed both the price, brand, make and color on a small tag. This upgrade cost us almost $3000 (after spending thosands on computers already- we have 4 of them!). However, it made a great difference in the level of service we offer.

After being open for about 6 months, we learned about price increases. Many yarn companies increase their prices yearly (or more!). So, we had 2 choices to make when this happened, 1. Resticker every ball of yarn. Or, 2. Leave old stock at the old price, and make staff aware (nearly impossible in a very busy store) that they have to verify that all yarns of the same brand and make are priced the same.

We opted for #2. Customers went crazy. No one could understand why they should pay $9.95 for one skein and $10.50 for the other. I didn't blame them a bit. It frustrated me too.

After much deliberation, frustration and expense (can you can imagine the labor costs involved in receiving, stickering and managing literally thosands of little tiny balls?....during busy months we receive in the tens of thosands of skeins of yarn!) we decided to put signs on the shelf and keep the prices off the individual balls. We still use bar codes, but do not price the actual ball. That way, when there is a price increase, we just have to change the shelf tag. No fuss.

Phew! But, it is so important. And, if we weren't a very busy shop, we would not be able to afford the extra labor dollars it takes to keep both the stickers and the shelf signage current. It's a really tough issue. And it effects the price you pay.

I bet the shops that don't sticker their yarn do so to save money. I wouldn't shop in one, but I do understand why they can't manage it. It's really difficult!

Take care, and fun topic....stepping off my soap-box now...

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  05:11:50 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
I love prices on the skein or on the shelf. I hate asking the salesperson every time I want to know what a particular yarn costs. It is annoying. When I shop, I like to be in my own little world, without interruption until I really need some help. Asking every 3 minutes for a price makes the experience not as enjoyable. Also, I have noticed that, quite a bit of the time, I ask what a price is and they have no idea, they have to go look it up in a book, etc., etc. It's never a quick answer. Or....they start asking eachother and every employee in the store has a different opinion on what the yarn costs. UGH!

Jeannine
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  05:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I recall once holding a few balls of Anny Blatt yarn (angora yarn with matching ribbon yarn) in my hands while shopping and the shop owner said to me "Do you have any idea how much money you are holding in your hands?" Well, perhaps I would have if it would have been marked or labeled. LOL It was almost as if she was discouraging me from purchasing the yarn, an odd stance for a business owner, but it worked.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  06:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
Lack of visible pricing bugs me regardless of what kind of shop I'm in.

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by