Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Ratio of vinegar or conditioner to water?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  4:44:55 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I have read posts elsewhere on using vinegar or hair conditioner to soften wool. Precisely how much should be used per litre of water? Do I follow with a rinse?

What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way?

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  04:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I condition some of my wool. partially for the light lavendar scent. I fill the sink with water, give the bottle a sqeeze and let it soak. then I rinse lightly. I know, real scientific. I'm terrible at measuring but my wool all comes out ok.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.thekingspottery.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  06:38:20 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
In the past I have put the yarn/garment in the washer with a low amount of cool water then added a capful of liquid fabric softener. I allow this to soak for about 30 minutes and then rinse in cool water with a gentle spin. It relaxes lopi beautifully.

Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  08:41:17 AM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
I use conditioner, and am very scientific, like Amy. For say, a scarf - One Dallop per Sinkful of Water. Sorry, that's the best I can do! I start with just alittle, and if it needs more softening, I'll do it again. Good luck!

2004 FO's: 7; WIP's 3
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  12:31:15 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I've used a lot of vinegar rinses for a variety of things. The exact amount is not very scientific, a capful or two in a gallon of water. You don't need to rinse it with such tiny amounts. When the stuff is dry the odor is gone. To sterilize something you need to use 1 part vinegar and 1 part distilled water and soak it for 24 hours. Those items I rinse.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Knit Twit
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  11:07:21 PM  Show Profile Send Knit Twit a Private Message
I usually just wash my socks by hand with Johnson's Baby Shampoo (the lavender one) and air-dry them, and they've always turned out fine. Being the constant experimenter that I am, I decided to soak a pair of Opal socks (thatI had washed several times before) in a container of water with some Suave lavender conditioner after washing them (just a little squirt in the water). I came back fifteen minutes later to find...ack!...that the black pattern in the socks had started to run, which has never happened before!

What type of conditioner do y'all use? Do you think it was a problem with the Suave, or did I soak the socks too long? Thanks in advance, and I hope everybody's having a very happy and safe Fourth of July.

Terri :)

Discretionary Spending = Yarn and Teddy Bears
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.