Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 How Much Yarn to Buy II?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  07:31:55 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I read the old threads on this, but I have a different question. I am going to start a baby blanket with a stitch I chose from a pattern library. (It's called Diamond & Lozenge but looks like baby blocks almost, and it is reversible. I plan to do the border in seed stitch, also reversible.) To figure out how much yarn to buy, should I swatch, measure the swatch, frog it, measure how much yarn I used, and then multiply to get to the size blanket I want? I'm having brain-lock and can't think of another (easier?) way to do this. Any advice will be appreciated.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  07:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Instead of frogging it, take it to the post office (if you don't have a food scale) and weigh the swatch. Then figure its area (length X width). Then determine the area of the finished piece. If you need 12 "swatch" areas to make the finished area, multiply the swatch weight by 12 - you'll get the weight of the yarn needed. So, if your yarn comes in 100 g balls, and your swatch weighs 10 grams, you'll need 1200 grams, or 12 balls. My math may be wrong, but the formulas work!

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  10:27:28 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Excellent, Lissa. I asked for and got a digital food scale for Christmas that measures in grams or ounces. I use it as much for knitting as for food. I make baby booties for my church charity. I can weigh a completed pair and then weigh the left over yarn to see if I have enough left in the ball for another pair.

Anita

PS, I was using your tag line a lot last week. I was on vacation, golfing with my husband. I kept hitting these shots that would ricochet off something and land in a good spot. Hey, I meant to do that! No one believed me.

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Wow, thanks. I never thought of weighing it, as I never think about weights of skeins, just yardage. I just love this forum - it always shows you another side, another way of looking at things. Thanks again.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  4:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
How much yarn to buy? I used to say "all you can carry" or "all that they have" but I need to work on that strategy as it has clearly created another problem altogether. I'll simply follow the advice above so as to stay out of trouble.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  5:00:03 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Dee, you are too funny. I think I'll stick with the weighing or frogging, and try not to go overboard with the yarn purchase. Aside: This stitch is cool - I love that it is reversible, and it really is beginning to look like stacked blocks from one angle. Kind of like an MC Esher drawing.

Go to Top of Page

Anya
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  07:26:08 AM  Show Profile Send Anya a Private Message
What is "frogging"?
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  07:33:20 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Frogging is ripping out (large amounts) of knitting. Why? Because a frog goes "rippit, rippit" (sort of). By the way, undoing knitting stitch by stitch is "tink"ing, which is knit-ting backwards.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  09:32:21 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I use a postal scale. It is excellent for small weights.

fran
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  2:35:29 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Lissa et al - I dug out a postal scale I had, and it worked wonderfully! I weighed the swatch and then the swatch+leftover yarn from skein, did the math, and figured out how many skeins I needed. Thanks so much, and instead of having a frogged mess, I have a lovely washcloth to send along with the blanket!

Go to Top of Page

bogrady
Warming Up

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  08:22:20 AM  Show Profile Send bogrady a Private Message
Have you ever seen the computer program Math Wizard? It calculates how much yardage needed for a project based on gauge and size. Very handy piece of equipment. I rely on this program and Sweater Wizard to help me keep my yarn needs realistic. My LYS has a Sweater Wizard program in the store for customers to use - it gives you a very basic pattern and the rest is up to the creator.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  1:18:10 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
This is heresy again and I fully expect to be stoned with balls of yarn, but an old trick I use is to find a baby blanket, etc in a pattern book, and see what the weight is for that pattern and then make sure I have that much yarn available. It works well. It was only when so much variety yarn was produced that the yardages became more important than the weights. But if you are working with classic yarns, weight can be as accurate as yardages.

fran

p.s. please start throwing the yarn balls now, I'm replenishing my stash.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe