Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 Organization
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pamulla@earthlink.net
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  06:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit pamulla@earthlink.net's Homepage Send pamulla@earthlink.net a Private Message
I know a store I call the yarn bomb because it is bursting to the seams with product: but it is such a mess it is hard to walk around in the store. The owner is lovely and clearly needs more room but I hate to shop there because it is hard to find anything
Also, I guess I am more right brain because I like the fibers to be organized by weight and fiber, not by color.
I tend to buy online and at conventions, but try to support the LYS when I can.

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  07:10:48 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
That's too bad, and I must say, organizing yarns in a store by color seems ridiculous to me. I like them organized by weight, because when I have a project in mind, I like to see my options somewhat together. I don't really like yarns grouped by manufacturer, for the same reason.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

gabsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

380 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  08:59:53 AM  Show Profile Send gabsmom a Private Message
I agree. I wish my LYS organized yarn by weight instead of color. I think they are trying to appeal to the novelty yarn craze.
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  09:42:21 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
I've only been in one shop that organized by color, and that was a shop in New Orleans. They had lovely yarn, but it was all grouped by color which made shopping difficult and frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  09:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
There's a shop near me that is bursting like that, and while it's lovely, and I like to see that it's almost always busy, it's hard to maneuver. Plus, they organize worst of all, in my opinion, in that they are over crammed and organized by manufacturer. So not only do I not find all the worsted weights together, I can't be pulled to a certain color and then look for the weight I need, because it could be on this wall or that one, on the top or the bottom....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  9:36:41 PM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
There is a store in So. California that is like that. It is a huge mess. It's awful. That have lots of nice yarn, but it is really yucky to be in there. Stuff is piled all over, the yarn is a mess and it smells musty, event though the yarn is new. It is unbelievable. Behind the counter is worse...it's like something you would see in a movie. The people are nice there, but I avoid the place unless I really have to go there. It is also organized by color. I hate that.

Jeannine
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  07:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oh, that's another thing about that shop I just remembered - their needles are split up.

Some of the new Addis - the straight needles with the cord and stopper at the end are on a display, but all the other needles are behind the counter, so you can't really look closely and feel them and test them or anything... it's a little weird.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  08:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
With the way yarn comes in now, it's probably challenging to pick a particular way to arrange items that is pleasing to the eye and shopping friendly.

I kind of like the idea of yarn split up by fiber content or weight but I know some like it divided by manufacturer or designer.

Maybe she'll get more space at a later date. She's probably frustrated too and just trying to figure out a way to get everything out on the sales floor, available to the shopper, in any way that is manageable.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
FO for 2004: 1 blanket and 2/3 sweater & 1 hat (needs to be seamed)
Frogpond: 2
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  09:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I like the yarn merchandised by manufacturer and then the type within the mfg - i.e. Debbie Bliss all the cashmerinos, then the wools, and the same way with the other manufacturers. I am very specific about brand when I shop for anything - there are some brands I love and some I won't buy whether it's yarn, cottage cheese, or shoes. I am also particular about where things are made and where companies are based. There are certain countries that I am not interested in supporting at this time and therefore there are certain brands that I won't buy. I also prefer brand names to private label.

I do not like when the needles are displayed where you can't get to them but I have to assume this is done to avoid shoplifting.
Go to Top of Page

jjones0194@aol.com

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  09:03:08 AM  Show Profile Send jjones0194@aol.com a Private Message
The lys closest to me could also be classified as a yarn bomb. They have a nice selection of yarn but the disorganization is too much for me too handle. It's a small dimly lit place that isn't helped by all the WIP's all over the place. I don't shop there because I find the chaos a little stressful. A shame...
Go to Top of Page

janieboo
Chatty Knitter

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  04:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit janieboo's Homepage Send janieboo a Private Message
I recently went to a yarn store that had their yarn displayed by color and I was surprised by how much I disliked it! When I saw a yarn I liked but wondered what other colors it came in I would have to walk around the store over and over again. I ended up buying nothing but some yarn from their sale bin(obviouly not going to leave with no Yarn!!!). Jane
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  05:33:55 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
The biggest LYS in Toronto has to be the world's biggest yarn bomb. Combined with hit and miss service, it's impossible to find something specific unless you already know where it is!

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  07:09:43 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
We in Seattle are soooo lucky. The yarn stores are wonderful and organized. The Yarn Gallery in West Seattle is organized by project in a way. As you walk in there is the sock yarn lots and lots of it with the sample socks hanging above the yarn, then there is a kids section again with samples, then all the other little areas, the Noro is beautiful with its sample it really is very well organize. None are the messes that you guys are describing, although Tricoter on Madison is done by color, I love it. As I said before it reminds me of the the candy stores in the malls that put the candy in color order. It is so beautiful when you walk in.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2004 :  12:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
Mokey,
I KNOW which store you're talking about! Their selection is amazing but they certainly lack in customer service and organization. Have you ever gone downstairs? I was scared.......

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page

pattiw
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile Send pattiw a Private Message
Pamulla, I know a store like that. They have everything, but you have to ask the owner for it because it's not only impossible to find anything, you can't even get to most of it!

Patti

I'm not always perfect, but I am always me.
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  9:38:12 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I went to a new shop a) because it was new, b) it was there, c) it had yarn, and last but not least d) I wanted to buy yarn for a project.

It was the first shop I'd seen organized by color. No, I didn't like the layout. Worse, it had the rudest salespeople around. They didn't even bother to look up and say a single word to me, but kept on talking to the customer at the counter. Yes, they were aware I'd entered.

I also exited, never to return. I like to at least be acknowledged as *there* and not completely ignored.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

SweaterGrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  08:34:44 AM  Show Profile Send SweaterGrrrl a Private Message
I love the term "yarn bomb" because it aptly describes my house! (LOL)

I can't imagine a store organized by color! If you are making a sweater with stripes, what do you have to do--run around the store looking at each color to see if you can find the same weight and brand and fiber content?

When my husband and I first got married, we moved quite a few times. One time, DH unpacked our books and shelved them. I later looked at the shelves in disbelief. "Honey, how are these organized," I asked sweetly. He told me, "By size." (ROTFLMAO) Did I mention I'm a librarian? Our books are now organized according to the Dewey Decimal System. Maybe that's how I should organize my stash!

SweaterGrrrl
Go to Top of Page

OneofEight
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  01:19:41 AM  Show Profile Send OneofEight a Private Message
Our LYS is very sensible in organizing by type. Novelty yarns in one area, sock yarns, cottons-w/blends and linens/hemp, bulkys,wools and wool blends, and so on. And within those categories,the ones of the same manufacturer are kept together. Makes it easy to find your options for the type of project for which you're shopping.
Go to Top of Page

theknottysheep
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  05:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit theknottysheep's Homepage Send theknottysheep a Private Message
I refuse to shop in a Yarn Bomb. Just can't stand to hand over hard earned cash for beautiful skeins that have been rolling around on the floor. I have a Yarn Bomb close by ... I say "Save the Skeins"!!

Be Knitty!
kary

Visit me ... for whimsy & laughs!

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Knotty-Sheep
http://sheepatthebeachartstudio.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  05:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknitter's Homepage Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Zola,

I've never been to Tricoter, but the lys here in Bellevue is also organized by color and I hate it! Actually, they do have a bit of separation by type of yarn, but that's only minimal (I can't remember what that is because the color issue makes me avoid it like the plague!) One time when I was there, I found a lovely yarn that I wanted to try and went to ask what other colors it came in - which I had to do because there was no way I was going to find it in that mess. Once I finally got someone to help me, she had to look it up in the computer and couldn't use it because the only one was the one somene else was using to check out a customer! I did go to that store one more time during a big sale, but it is at the bottom of my list for shopping because the color organzization drives me nuts. I commented to a worker about it and how difficult I felt it made things and I was told that most of their customers came in only knowing that they wanted to make something of a certain color and not what type of yarn they wanted to buy! I found that to be very surprising, if it is really true!
Go to Top of Page

Jax
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  10:36:31 AM  Show Profile Send Jax a Private Message
So, it looks like I'm the only person out there who likes yarn organized by gauge. I do have some brand preferences, but my primary objective is getting yarn of approximately the right size--and I like to make substitutions. Within gauge, I like to see brands/manufacturers grouped together so I can easily find multiple colors of a given yarn.

Grouping by color would drive me batty.

One LYS groups by fiber. All the fuzzy trendy stuff in one section, all cotton and linen in one area, and wools and acrylics in others. It's okay, since I usually know what fiber I'm hunting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?