Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 Organization
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  1:08:53 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
There's a yarn shop in Charlotte that organizes by color, and I like to go there just to browse around. If it was my main store, though, it would drive me crazy. It's fun to browse with scarves or something in mind, because it's interesting to see what yarns could easily be thrown together to create something interesting, but I can't imagine trying to do a larger project with that kind of organization.

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  2:32:55 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
I also would prefer that my LYS reorganize by weight rather than color. It is frustrating to find a cool yarn and have to search all the bins to see what other colors it comes in.
~Rebecca

"Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
I love my LYS! The Yarn Shop and More in Overland Park (Kansas City metro area) has their wools and wool blends laid out horizontally in a color spectrum, and then organized vertically by weight. Pick your color and then move up or down the shelf for the weight you want. The cottons and cotton blends have their own island as do the novelty yarns. Baby project yarns and sock yarns are in their own group. I love it. It's very inspiring.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  3:40:32 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
Wow. THAT is a great idea!

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  5:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
I visited a yarn store in Sorrento, BC and couldn't believe their system. When you walk in you are confronted with a counter that completely prevents any access to the yarn! You have to stand in line at the counter waiting to be "served" and then tell the attendant what you want to buy. They then go fetch it.

Can anyone imagine the difficulties this presents?! Only one customer (perhaps two if there is more than one staff member present) is able to "shop" at a time. There is no touching allowed......not even if you ASK. What if you are planning an intricate fairisle and need 6 co-ordinating colors? The staff goes back and forth, back and forth making their "suggestions". Aargh! I can spend HOURS picking out exactly the right combination of yarns for a project......and I do it ALONE thank you very much! And how in the world do you ever "get to know" the new yarns if you are expected to be able to ask for them by name, sight unseen. BIZARRE, really bizarre. I'm sure glad it's not my hometown and only yarn shop!

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  7:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
Sorrento? Is that anywhere near Likely? Or Spuzzum?

Then again, its in BC so its beyond Hope! (inside joke for all the BC'ers...)
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  08:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
Sorrento is in the Shuswap Lake area.
http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=17

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  09:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
That set-up would make me crazy.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  07:00:45 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
That would drive me absolutely bonkers. I have to be able to touch the yarn to see if it's something I would like to knit with. Yarn is not like embroidery floss where it's all the same feel and weight.
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  09:21:45 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
That yarn store would drive my crazy, too. Although I never seem to be able to find what I want at my LYS store anyway :) I'm always asking for help. But they're so friendly it's not a problem.

Melissa

Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. ~ Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

sntm
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  11:09:38 AM  Show Profile Send sntm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SweaterGrrrl

When my husband and I first got married, we moved quite a few times. One time, DH unpacked our books and shelved them. I later looked at the shelves in disbelief. "Honey, how are these organized," I asked sweetly. He told me, "By size." (ROTFLMAO) Did I mention I'm a librarian? Our books are now organized according to the Dewey Decimal System. Maybe that's how I should organize my stash!

SweaterGrrrl

OT, but have you read Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman? The first essay, you will find hilarious.
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  12:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I don't like things organized by color either. I'm down in so. cal. and there is a store by me that is a total yarn bomb! And it's a small yarn bomb that doesn't even have enough room to scavenger hunt through. It really shouldn't take 30 minutes to find 4 colors of one type of yarn!! I don't even go in there anymorel. The staff is friendly but the place is just too disorganized for me. I take my business down the road where I can find everything I need but the staff isn't very nice.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

A turtle doesn't get anywhere without sticking her neck out.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  1:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wovenflame
When you walk in you are confronted with a counter that completely prevents any access to the yarn![/b] You have to stand in line at the counter waiting to be "served" and then tell the attendant what you want to buy. They then go fetch it...

There is no touching allowed......not even if you ASK. ... BIZARRE, really bizarre. I'm sure glad it's not my hometown and only yarn shop!

-Marlene-

That's where I should shop when I don't have any money to spend. Cause I know for sure I wouldn't spend any money in a place like that! No touching, indeed. That's like telling a Major League pitcher that he can't spit and "adjust himself" before he throws the ball.

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers-all of them master craftsmen and designers.
--Exodus 35:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.