Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Needle Felting
 Does anyone do needle felting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ErinAmy
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  09:10:08 AM  Show Profile Send ErinAmy a Private Message
Hi! I am very interested in trying needle felting, my yarn store was out of the kits, so I will have to wait. Is it easy, do you follow patterns or just make up a design?
Thanks!
Erin

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  09:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
Needle felting is on my to-do list too Erin. We (Ewe Knit Kits) just got in the needles and roving.

I did see a demo at TNNA. The woman was showing a free form design. We really talked about the types of fibers you could use besides roving...that is how to include eyelash-type yarns in your design.

So one day when I have a few free minutes....LOL

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  10:39:33 AM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
I took a class this past winter. Very enjoyable and not difficult. The class was for embellishing although at a local Fiber Festival I observed a woman dry-felting a hat from the get-go.
do a search and you will find some basic instructions.

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1751 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  12:02:17 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I've tried needle felting and it is fun, but kind of tedious. I made coasters as a first easy project. I had some roving that was intended for felting and used that. If you use a single needle, there is a lot of punching to get the wool felted, but you can add wool as needed to make an even fabric. Then it is pretty easy to embellish with more bits of wool in different colors. You only need the tiniest pieces to add the embellishments - I was surprised at how little. I needled in a little mouse on my coasters and had fun with that. After awhile though I got tired of punching and put the nearly felted coasters in a sink of hot water and finished them on the scrubboard. Just my impatience that day, I geuss.

I have a kit to make a gnome, but haven't tried it yet. I bought it from a vendor at Maryland Sheep & Wool who makes the most absolutely beautiful dolls and creatures. Such inspiration. One of these days....
Go to Top of Page

indigomuse@verizon.net
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  1:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit indigomuse@verizon.net's Homepage Send indigomuse@verizon.net a Private Message
I just bought a very inexpensive kit on Ebay. It included the needles and the roving. I primarily wanted to use it to add embellishments and monograms to my finished felted bags. Its somewhat tedious but the results are very satisfying. It's also a good way to release stress :)

IndigoMuse

Just started blogging - http://indigomuse.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mec
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  1:33:56 PM  Show Profile Send mec a Private Message
Sometimes when I get home from work, needle felting is about all I can handle. Lots of mindless punching with the needles and an occasional color or placement decision, nothing big or momentous. It's easy to take out a mistake because you can see it before you get too far along and before it's felted in very well. It's easy to pick up and put down and you don't really have to keep track of anything. I've done some soft sculptures and hats and a wall-hanging.
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  2:51:27 PM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
I love needle felting. Have done small animals for the grandkids and cat toys. Last Christmas I made a dozen little elf faces, sewed pins to the back and gave them out to friends and family as lapel pins. Learned Nuro felting a couple of months ago and didn't like it nearly as well.

Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page

Muffy
Chatty Knitter

139 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  4:30:11 PM  Show Profile Send Muffy a Private Message
I just started needle felting with a kit from Halcyon. Seems fun. I don't know what Nyro felting is! What is that Allyn?
Go to Top of Page

meowy
Chatty Knitter

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit meowy's Homepage Send meowy a Private Message
I just started needle fetling too. A friend sent me some needles so I did a practice design on a bag I felted. :) It came out really cute.

- meowy
- Knitting a Rat's Nest
- http://knit.strayalleycat.com
Go to Top of Page

kristo
Warming Up

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  6:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit kristo's Homepage Send kristo a Private Message
My Mom just ordered me a needle felting kit for my birthday. I've never tried it but it looks really cool - I'm excited! Here's the link where we found the kit. http://www.bearycheap.com/info/felting1.html
Go to Top of Page

Muffy
Chatty Knitter

139 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  08:34:29 AM  Show Profile Send Muffy a Private Message
Hey kristo, let me know what you think of that kit. I had my eye on that as well as
http://www.livingfelt.com/needlefeltedduck.html
this cute duck. Need your opinion on if you thought the instructions were good on the bear.
Everything I have tried to do so far... looks really "punched" maybe I am using too big a needle? Help!
Go to Top of Page

kristo
Warming Up

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  09:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit kristo's Homepage Send kristo a Private Message
Hey Muffy, that duck looks really cute, I would love to make that too....If the bears turn out! I'll let you know what I think of the instructions as soon as the kit arrives (may take awhile as its being shipped from Australia and I'm in Canada)

www.busternme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Muffy
Chatty Knitter

139 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile Send Muffy a Private Message
kristo, well you are an artist! Your elf drawings are great! So I expect you to be able to do much more with the needlefelting than I will be able to do...
I'll stay tuned for results ---whenever the kit gets to you... I'm almost thinking of trying the duck. I suppose I shouldn't even pretend to have sales resistance...
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  08:25:25 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy

I just started needle felting with a kit from Halcyon. Seems fun. I don't know what Nyro felting is! What is that Allyn?

Sorry I missed answering this. Numo felting is done on silk fabric. It uses soap and hot water to combine the wool and the silk. Basic instructions: lay a thin layer of wool, in your desired pattern, on a piece of silk fabric, wet it thoroughly with hot soapy water and rub...rub hard and long. The wool will shrink and work itself through the silk. It takes a good bit of manipulation but the end result is almost sculptural. The wool shrinks and pulls the silk backing along. Each side of the piece will have a different effect. Very cool for scarves and such.
Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page

kristo
Warming Up

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  4:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kristo's Homepage Send kristo a Private Message
Muffy, my kit arrived and its great!!! The instructions are really clear and simple and its so fun and easy! I already made 2 bears. Come check them out on my blog!

www.busternme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Muffy
Chatty Knitter

139 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  10:30:26 AM  Show Profile Send Muffy a Private Message
kristo,
Amazing and totally cute. The ear shot really gave me a great idea of size. Ok, that is on my list of things to buy! You and your mom are really talented!
Go to Top of Page

knittingfever04
Chatty Knitter

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  8:42:21 PM  Show Profile Send knittingfever04 a Private Message
Is there a website on this information?
Go to Top of Page

Soxy
Gabber Extraordinaire

New Zealand
389 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  7:05:25 PM  Show Profile Send Soxy a Private Message
yep, teddy bears!! here is an excellent little book, it is for teddies but the same principal applies to any other form be it animals, dolls etc. Ive seen the most amazing "cloth dolls" done with needle felting.......one of my projects for the new year !

"Needlefelting Magic" by Barbara Allen www.cobwebcottage.co.nz

She has all the supplies too.

Sock Addict
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  7:39:46 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
Spin Off magazine (a handspinning magazine which is a sister publication of Interweave Knits) has an article in the new issue on how to needle felt little pumpkins with faces on them. I fell in love with them and went over to eBay tonight and ordered some supplies to try it out. From the instructions in the article, it looks really easy.

Meg

Long Island, NY
Go to Top of Page

knittingfever04
Chatty Knitter

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  6:10:29 PM  Show Profile Send knittingfever04 a Private Message
Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  3:32:51 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Can you needle felt yarn, or does it have to be roving? I was wondering about using it for touch-ups.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000