Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 UFOs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  10:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I felt kind of guilty, although honest about my vote in the poll of no UFOs. Although I have only been knitting since the beginning of the year, I don't always finish everything before I jump to my next project. I did have a project that had been sitting on the needles for months until last Saturday. I came to the realization that I wouldn't wear this cardigan even if I did finish it so I frogged the whole back, both sleeves and one front on a whim. Now it is my new WIP as a cute cropped sweater.

I feel better now.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  3:06:27 PM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
Well, we seem to be into confession here at KR.

I too can honestly say that I have NEVER had any projects sitting around because I ALWAYS finish before I start another.

So I guess I must confess that I just started knitting in April and I am only on my 3rd project.

But it sounds good - for as long as it lasts!

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  04:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
It just killed me to have to check the poll answer that said I had a UFO for several years. I started an hunter green afgan in acrylic, in a blah stitch pattern, about 5 years ago. Who knew what I was thinking when I planned this project?! It is beyond boring to knit. I don't even need it- have a down throw that I use when I need such a thing.
I tried to talk my 11 year old into working on it (with an offer to increase her allowance),but after half a row (hundred so sts), she said "no way".
So it hides under my bed. I know it is there.It occasionally screams at me- "You have a really old UFO!" Doubt I will ever pick it up again! Too wasteful to throw it out. Wouldn't use the yarn for anything else if I unraveled it, too expensive to mail it to someone who wants to knit it, and know no local knitters mindless enough to enjoy such a project.
So that is my explanation.
Lisa in Oklahoma

New textured sock design-Chestnut Hill Socks
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of socks I have knit..
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

navyseel
Chatty Knitter

142 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  3:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit navyseel's Homepage Send navyseel a Private Message
Lisa,

What about turning the afghan into a community project? I was at a tartan weaving center in Scotland, and they had a huge loom and pattern set up for visitors to sit down and weave as much as they wanted. You could do something similar by leaving it in a LYS. Shoppers could all add a few rows with each visit. Or it could be used in a knitting class as a learning project. The end result can be donated to charity.

Just a thought.
Celia

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  7:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
That's a fascinating idea! I like it. The afghan goes from being a much-dreaded albatross around one person's neck to a fun, no-stress community add-on project.

Or if you wanted to keep it as your ode to completion issues, what about converting it into a few pillows? I did that with the front of a sweater I knew I'd never finish. The yarn was gorgeous, so I just seamed the ends together, stuffed it, and voila, instant finished object.

I wish I could join those who have no UFOs yet, but it's way too late for that. I'm surrounded by them. My oldest one dates back to the days when Duran Duran, purple sparkle eyeshadow, and Flashdance were popular. HELLLLPPPPP!!! (Gee, and she wonders why it remains unfinished...)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  2:17:36 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I feel really guilty. I had a lot of UFO's but the day before the poll came out I became ambitious and frogged all that were over a year old or that I thought I would not finish in a year. The result, I only had 2 UFO's left and I finished one of those today. It makes me look so responsible and saintly to finish all my projects and actually I am not. Incidentally, I had no "insider" knowledge about the subject of the poll.....LOL. I am going to restart the faroese shawl, but I was not satisfied with the yarn I was using so am putting it on the back burner for now.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  8:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
After working my hiney off this week, I'm down to only 2 UFO's. Woo Woo!!

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  11:15:09 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I have just finished a jumper for my husband(and might I say he looks sooo cuddly in it)and tonight intend putting the buttons finally on my cotton cardigan that I finished a while ago.THEN I am going to undo three UFOs which will leave me with just the unstarted bags
Thankyou Fran for the inspiration.Now Clara if by any chance you decide to redo the poll again I'll come out saintly like Fran[
:)))]
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2002 :  12:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Fran - thanks to frogging some Never Gonna Be FOs (NGBFOs?) recently, I looked more saintly than I really am, too. I still have plenty of UFOs, though!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe