Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Felted Bag pattern - Casting on using waste yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  5:38:51 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Well, the wind is out of my sails -- came home with some Lopi and a pattern (photocopied) for what seemed like a straightforward felted shoulder bag. I'm an adventurous beginner who has never run across this before:

BAG BOTTOM
"With US11 and waste yarn, CO 25 sts. Knit 1 row.
Purl 1 row. Break waste yarn. With purse yarn K25.

Row 1: Purl"

Then it goes on to the alternate knit and purl rows till the bottom is done. And then I pick up stitches and knit in the round.

I just don't understand why waste yarn is used - what is it supposed to achieve that using the purse yarn right from the beginning wouldn't?

Also, "kfb" is used in the purse body -- what does that mean?

Thanks so much for the help. I was hoping to start this while watching Canadian Idol tonight. Guess I'll have to work on some of my wips that have been calling me for a couple of days

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  8:45:43 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
>I just don't understand why waste yarn is used - what is it supposed to achieve that using the purse yarn right from the beginning wouldn't?<

It allows you to knit in both directions. When you remove the waste yarn, stitches are exposed, put them on a needle and then knit them off. The bottom of the bag will look like it is knit straight across the bottom without any seams. You will actually be knitting in both directions at once.

This is how I would do it. You have your knitting with one needle on one side, two side edges of the knitting and the side with the waste yarn. cut off the cast on row, pull out the little snipits of yarn but don't pull tightly on any of them or you may make a knot. Go to the center of the waste yarn and allow some stitches to drop by pulling on the little segment of yarn between the stitches. You will see the stitches beginning to unravel. What you want to do is unravel the waste yarn slowly. If it knots up, cut the yarn out but don't cut any of the yarn you are using for your bag. Try unraveling from the other end. When you get to the yarn for the bag, pick up those stitches and put them on a knitting needle. A spare circular needle or DPN is ideal. It can be smaller than the size you are using because you are not going to knit with it. If you have your circular needle on the stitches you were knitting, take the end of the needle that is away from the working end of the yarn and start picking up the stitches with it. You will end up with a piec of knitting with knitting needles on each end. When you are ready to knit again, pick up stitches along one side,(you will be two sides around the base) then knit the stitches you put on the spare needle (you will be three sides around the base) then pick up the stitches on the other side. Now you have stitches on all four sides and can begin to knit around in a circle.

Somewhere in the pattern, it should tell you what the abbreviation kfb means. I think it is a direction to make an increase by knitting into the front of a stitch, leave the stitch on the left needle and then knit into the back of the same stitch.

fran
Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  9:01:59 PM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
Hello RoseM...

Well I at least know that KFB means knit through the front and back of the loop. I suppose it's usually used for increases. You K1 in the normal fashion, and then without sliding the stitch off the left needle yet, knit another stitch through the back loop. Then slide both off.

But, I can't imagine why you'd have to knit & purl two rows with waste yarn. Anytime I've ever cast on with waste yarn, it's always been to get a "provisional" cast-on, or something that simply holds the "non-waste yarn" stitches in place temporarily. Then I can turn my work and carefully remove the waste yarn while picking up the stitches it was holding in place. That way I could work in the opposite direction with a smooth transition.

Sorry... but I hope this helps a little anyway...

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you understand what you are doing."
-Guarantee Reserve Guardian
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  9:04:20 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Jax, the technique described is usually the beginner method of doing a provisional cast on. It may be the only one the designer knows or it could be the one the designer prefers. Personally I prefer the crochetted provisional.

fran
Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  04:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
I prefer the crocheted provisional also... I like to use a light-colored, plain old cotton waste yarn, as it's easier to see when I go back to pick up the live stitches. Hmmm... great minds. : )

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you understand what you are doing."
-Guarantee Reserve Guardian
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  10:08:16 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Dear Fran and Jaxguy,

Read your replies -- and I did it! Using a light colored yarn - my bag yarn is dark - was really helpful.

RE the kfb -- the pattern was photocopied by the LYS, so I didn't have the explanations that were probably in the book/mag it came from. So thanks for that explanation too.

Looking ahead in the pattern, it calls for grafting which is also a new term to me, but I know it's explained in one of the books I have. If I run across any problems, I know where to come.

RoseM
p.s. I gave myself an extra big treat yesterday at the LYS - I bought my first pair of Addi Turbos to use for this bag. Always wondered what the ruckus was about - now I know. They feel fabulous. Hope I can go back to my other old ones for other projects.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe