Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Share Your Photo Albums
 My Charlotte's Web Shawl
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  12:34:25 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Finally completed...

Photos up:

http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com

PattiG
Atlanta

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  1:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
It looks real nice, Patti! Well done! You should be (and I'm sure you are) really proud of yourself! Did you use the Koigu which seems to be so popular?

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  2:47:33 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
It looks gorgeous :)

It's on my wish list--I just got colors in the mail-- but I think I'm going to try and finish the current shawl in progress before I get too into Charlotte! :) Looks like you did a beautiful job though! :)

Congrats,
m
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  3:24:10 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
beautiful!!!

- Katie

"Say what you mean, and mean what you say"

The next generation of knitters :-)
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  3:32:03 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I'm not a big fan of shawls, but this one could change my mind. It is a beautiful shawl, I love the colors and your knitting is beautiful too. Congratulations on finishing a challenging project
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  3:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Well done. I hope to have yarn for mine this fall.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  5:51:59 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Thanks everybody! Yes, I used Koigu. I did so without knowing about the other yarns this company manufactures such as Kersti (sp?). Amy from Knitty is making a Charlotte out of silk, so don't feel married to Koigu. That said, Koigu is a very pretty yarn. I chose my colors more or less at random from a patternworks catalogue and couldn't have been more pleased!

PattiG
Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

letti
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  6:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send letti a Private Message
Great job, Patti.
Have fun wearing it.

Letti

"Anybody is liable to fall off a tightrope in any land, I thought, and God help you if you fall the wrong way."
Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  7:55:11 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Very pretty! I have been eyeing this shawl for a while and every picture I see of a completed one makes me want it more!! Have fun wearing your new shawl!
Lin
Go to Top of Page

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  9:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
Very nice Patti! I

Enjoy it...it's lovely!!

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
http://photos.yahoo.com/roxanne_delorme
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  11:49:13 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I love it Patti, congrats!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  08:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
for those of you not big shawl fans, you can also knit Charlotte in a poncho. I'm on vacation at Family Camp in Santa Barbara and I'm planning on starting this (assuming DH lets me off the tennis courts ;}).

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  6:31:34 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Is there a separate pattern for a poncho, or do you just use the lace pattern repeats in a generic poncho pattern? I think it would make a spectacular poncho.
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  08:55:43 AM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
Beautiful, Patti! Congrats :) Two questions: did you block your swatch? and did you run out of any of the colors? I've heard there is a danger of running out of color 5.

2004 FO's: 8; WIP's 3
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  06:55:11 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Hey, to answer your questions...

Did I block the swatch? ... Well, did I do a swatch??? No!!! I dived right in. Since it is a shawl, I didn't see a reason to swatch. However, if someone I knew did do a swatch, I would say absolutely block it. That pulls out the pattern to reveal the web.

Did I run out of color 5? I would have, but I anticipated it and alternated with Color 2 on the final six rows. I almost ran out of color 4, less than a yard left over. That told me I would not have enough of color 5, because the rows were growing by four stitches. The technique of alternating colors rather than jumping from one to the next produces a nice, blended effect that is very forgiving.

Had I wanted to fringe, I don't think I would have had enough yarn. If you are a fringer, I would purchase an extra skein of Koigu.

PattiG
Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  10:26:40 AM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
Thanks, Patti - good advice on the colors. Yours is beautiful!

2004 FO's: 8; WIP's 3
Go to Top of Page

Berchem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  4:25:05 PM  Show Profile Send Berchem a Private Message
That is so beautiful. I am amazed at the wonderful colors.
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2004 :  5:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
To answer the questions on the poncho - there are two bloggers that have made up the charlotte's web into a poncho - you still need to buy the pattern then convert it into poncho shape. Here are the two blogs:

http://acunningplan.typepad.com/andsheknitstoo/2004/06/wrapping_it_up.html
and
http://sequink.typepad.com/

I did cast on while in Santa Barbara - in fact I went over to BB's Knits on State Street there and bough 3 more skeins of Koigu (changed the colors around a little) from a shipment they had just gotten in a couple of days earlier. Didn't get any more than that done however, as I spent waaay to much time on the tennis courts and in the craft room at UCSB's Family Camp

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe