Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what do you do with leftover yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bealynn1949@yahoo.com

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  09:41:48 AM  Show Profile Send bealynn1949@yahoo.com a Private Message
Leftover yarn? What's that? This from a person who has a hard time throwing away the ends after I have tucked them in and cut them. Well, it is an inch or so of yarn, after all. I save everything and use it in whatever. I have a very artistic grandson who likes to draw pictures, so I took his pictures, graphed them, and designed and afghan for him. I think I only had to purchase one or two colors of yarns. Eventually everything gets used, but I seem to add to the stash quicker than I use it up. Funny how that works, isn't it.

Bealynn
Go to Top of Page

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  10:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
Recently I've been using bits of those odd balls (heehee, oddballs!!!) as starter yarn when I'm spinning. But most of my left over yarn is in my closet, waiting for a stroke of inspiration.. It'll come to me eventually, I swear.
~Jenny

KermitsCousin
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  10:50:32 AM  Show Profile Send KermitsCousin a Private Message
This is what my mother and I do with leftover yarn. The Guidepost folks have a mission, but I don't the children's sweater project includes proseltyzing. They distribute the sweaters through many other agencies.
http://www.guideposts.org/help/sweater.asp
Go to Top of Page

hazelblumberg@nettally.com

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  11:10:27 AM  Show Profile Send hazelblumberg@nettally.com a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by cats

What do you do when you finish a project and have half of a skein of yarn left?

I'm very new to Knitter's Review, and this is my first posting. Greetings to all of you!

I love having yarn leftovers! For several years, when I've had small amounts of yarn left over, I've tied them together and amassed some truly enormous balls of yarn. Out of these I've knitted an afghan (knitted in the traditional dishcloth style, corner to corner, in garter stitch), a tote bag, a cell phone holder, a bathroom rug, bedside rugs, and critter blankets, both for my cats and for animals in animal shelters. If I've got a long bit of a particular yarn and am getting bored with the results I'm getting, I'll throw in some funky eyelash or metallic or other yarn that I only have a partial ball of. Anything that's fairly long but not long enough to become a project on its own goes into a big plastic garbage bag, which resides in my yarn closet. It gets hauled out whenever I'm knitting from the big ball of leftovers.

I've seen patterns for vests made out of leftovers, either by Frugal Knitting Haus or by another designer whose name escapes me at the moment. Have to admit I've never tried one of these, but anything's possible!

And what about wall hangings knitted out of your leftovers?

I'm delighted to've found this forum.

All best,
Hazel
Hazel Blumberg-McKee, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
Love this thread! Last winter I made a bunch of hats that I donated to the Afghans for Afghans project. I loved being able to turn out one hat a day and the challenge to create pleasant color combinations out of leftover yarns. Another good use for small amounts is doll clothes. Nicky Epstein has a terrific book of patterns for Barbie dolls which calls for a variety of yarn weights. One could make a nifty doll wardrobe simply with "leftovers". Add a brand new doll and you could make a child very happy with a unique, well thought-out gift.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaS
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  1:03:43 PM  Show Profile Send PatriciaS a Private Message
I love all the charitable projects, and the creativity in this thread. I'm newly back to knitting after about 20 years and working on my first project, so I don't HAVE any leftovers. Yet. (Now I can't wait!!) However, I ran across this cute idea in a free pattern from About.com. The pattern is for 4 st = 1" yarn, but the idea can be used for any basic sweater or other projects (hats, scarves, mittens, socks.

http://knitting.about.com/library/noddballprint.htm
Go to Top of Page

luvtoknit56@yahoo.com

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  1:03:54 PM  Show Profile Send luvtoknit56@yahoo.com a Private Message
I usually save them unitl I have enough(about 10 or 11 ) to make a toss salad sweater for either a small adult or a child ( size 12mos and up). I love doing this as it gives me a chance to create some color sequence and patterns or just differnet stitches every few rows. Lots of fun.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pinky Yarn

I dont call them leftovers at all.. they're just part of my stash, usually I save them until inspiration strikes, I dont think id EVER take yarn back to the store if I just didnt use it. They become baby things or a stripe in a hat or something like that usually.

- Katie

"Say what you mean, and mean what you say"

The next generation of knitters :-)

Yes! I love making funky scarves using lots of different yarns together (see my photo album).

I recently bought a cone of yarn, and they told me I could return what I didn't need. I just looked at them. Return yarn???

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca
My blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sky
Chatty Knitter

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2004 :  12:41:05 PM  Show Profile Send Sky a Private Message
Oh dear, am I the only one who goes out and deliberately buys yarn to match the leftovers, spending another $50 to use up $5 worth of yarn?
I have also recently been making what I call my "revolving socks". Two colour socks, add one ball, make three colour socks, add one ball, make four colour socks, finish one colour, make three colour socks, finish one ball, buy one ball, make two colour socks etc. etc. I have two cycles going, a cotton cycle and a wool cycle. My daughter calls them "eye-popping". Perhaps I should knit toe-up socks and come out even -- but I think that would ruin my fun.
I have also been knitting small purse accessories with sock yarn when I've revolved myself out of a certain colourway and have just a bit of yarn left -- very discreet ribbed tampon "slipcovers" and small kleenex packet "cozies" to protect them from the ravages of DPN's lurking in the murky depths of my purse.
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2004 :  1:47:49 PM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
Leftovers? Seems like the ideal place for the freestyle crochet/knit stuff that seems to be the hot trend now. I've got not only leftovers from projects but LOTS of homespun that is more samples than usable amounts.

Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2004 :  2:55:59 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
My yarn leftovers have gone to Trina who does a tremendous amount of charity knitting. I might have come to the bottom of the stash Trina but I will have to go at that closet again. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2004 :  6:51:32 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sky

Oh dear, am I the only one who goes out and deliberately buys yarn to match the leftovers, spending another $50 to use up $5 worth of yarn?

This cracked me up! I just got a bag of random single balls of great yarn from my sister-in-law for my birthday and I was contemplating the equivalent of this....Spending $500 to use up a $50 present of single balls of yarn. (Or else there are a lot of mix-and-match scarves in my future!)
Go to Top of Page

Sky
Chatty Knitter

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  09:00:18 AM  Show Profile Send Sky a Private Message
At a craft fair I recently came across an item just perfect for those little snipped off ends after weaving in. Someone has made very beautiful copper wire mesh balls. You poke in the ends of yarn as you accumulate them. Then, you hang it in the trees to provide bedding material for birds and squirrels who come and pull out the pieces a few at a time. A great way to use up tiny bits fibre. So clever and frugal and beautiful I wish I'd thought of it.
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  09:37:50 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I hoard it just like every other knitting-related thing I have ever bought.

Stitches Midwest in less than 24 hours! MORE

Debra
Go to Top of Page

DorFrumkin@aol.com
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  3:53:00 PM  Show Profile Send DorFrumkin@aol.com a Private Message
"Oh dear, am I the only one who goes out and deliberately buys yarn to match the leftovers, spending another $50 to use up $5 worth of yarn?"

I'm right there with you....
As for the some of more random leftovers (nothing gets thrown away), my niece's American Girl Dolls are sporting beautiful scarves.
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  4:02:34 PM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
i don't have a little girl to knit doll clothes forall the little ones i know are boys! i have thought about knitting sweaters for teddies (i got a book where you make matching outfits for the child and bear, too cute!), but my kids are starting to outgrow the teddies! they're 10 and 12, and more into legos and video games
maybe i could make controller cozies, and lego pouches?
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
Go to Top of Page

KAC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  4:13:20 PM  Show Profile Send KAC a Private Message
I use all of my leftovers to make afghan pieces for Warm Up America:
http://www.warmupamerica.com/home.html

My local library participates in this every year. It's a great way to try out new stitches, and it's really great to see the final blankets, and know that they're going to a great cause.

Kim
The largest room in the world is the room for improvement
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by