Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Raglan Baby Sweater--Thought I Knew it All
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheDishclothQueen
Chatty Knitter

112 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  12:41:59 PM  Show Profile Send TheDishclothQueen a Private Message
I decided to make this raglan baby sweater. The pattern called for it to be made in pieces--2 fronts (it's a cardigan) and a back. I decided that I knew it all and I would make it all in one piece to avoid seams. Now I've gotten to the point where I add the sleeves, and I'm stretching the knitting under the arm horribly--I can't hardly knit the sleeve stitches, and the underarm is looking like crap. I'm about 5 min from ripping the d@mn thing out. Is there any way to save this? Shouldn't it be possible to do it my way? Or should I just suck it up and frog it? Thanks!

Amanda

If I knit while I'm asleep
I pray the Lord my gauge to keep.
And if I die before I wake
I pray I may my knitting take.

*~*~*~*~*

thedishclothqueen.typepad.com

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  1:04:04 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
You have come to the underarm and it is too tight to knit....right? I handle this with 2 circular knitting needles but you may be able to get by with a DPN on a baby sweater. Work across the front to the center of the sleeve on one needle, then pick up a circular needle and work 1/2 of the sleeve, across the back, and half of the other sleeve. Work the last half of the sleeve and the other front on another needle. If you have two circular needles you can put the back section on one and both fronts on the other. Continue working back and forth across the front, the sleeve, the back, the sleeve, and the front. After you have knit about 2 to 3 inches, you can switch it back to just one needle until it is finished.

That spot under the arm is just too tight for one needle. That's why most patterns direct you to bind of stitches on the sleeves and the underarm and then stitch them together later. If you have a lot of stretched out stitches there you may wish to just frog a row or two to get rid of them, but if it is only one or two, just pick up an extra stitch when you get to that point and then decrease it on the next row.

fran
Go to Top of Page

TheDishclothQueen
Chatty Knitter

112 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  1:07:27 PM  Show Profile Send TheDishclothQueen a Private Message
Fran--Thanks! You're the best!

It's a raglan sleeved cardigan, with cable incorporated into the raglan decreases.

Amanda

*~*~*~*~*

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  09:31:15 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Amanda,

I am just finishing up a raglan baby cardigan with cables running down the raglan seams. I've knit it on a circular to the point where I was finished with the yoke and the cabled seams and then used the circs as single pointed needles to continue down the body. My pattern had the sleeves being knit as I went along the top yoke (knitting it from top down). What pattern are you using, if I may ask? I hope that it's working out for you because to knit anything in a fingering weight yarn is a LOOOOONNG labor of love, and I'd hate to see you have to rip it out.

Cheers, Patience
Go to Top of Page

TheDishclothQueen
Chatty Knitter

112 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  12:41:16 PM  Show Profile Send TheDishclothQueen a Private Message
Patience, acutally mine was knit from the bottom up. Sigh.

Fortunately, I didn't have to frog it. I did what Frant suggested, and used several (3!) circs until I got to a point on the sleeves where I wasn't stretching things too much. I did have to frog a bit of the body, where it was way too streched, but nothing horrible. I just finished it . You can see it on my blog, http://thedishclothqueen.typepad.com. The pattern was one from an old Columbia Minerva baby book. It's funny how some things never really go out of style.

Amanda

*~*~*~*~*

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  12:55:31 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Amanda,

The sweater looks great.....good job! I was just knitting the 3rd row of the waistband of my baby sweater when I discovered a mistake <<<<<<< about 3" back on the buttonband which I did in garter stitch! To complicate things it's on the "buttonhole" side (naturally, Murphy's Law rules) which means it will show ALL of the time!!!

Does anyone know of a relatively quick way to frog about 3" worth of 171 stitches on stocking stich fingering weight wool????? I NEED HELP because I'm not very good at picking these out one by one for that many and that far back, and when it comes to taking them of the needle and ripping, I break out in HIVES. HELP, please??

Thanks, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  1:11:14 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Amanda, I second Patience sentiments, did I see a little metalic in it or is just my screen?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  5:31:02 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Run a strand of string or dental floss through the stitches one or two rows below the row with the mistake in it to stop you from going too far. Then just rip it out....fast...and angrily, getting all your frustrations out. You only have to "tink" the last row of stitches, not all of them.

fran
Go to Top of Page

TheDishclothQueen
Chatty Knitter

112 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  9:10:06 PM  Show Profile Send TheDishclothQueen a Private Message
Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Zola, there's no sparkle to it. Though I do love sparkle, and I'm using a white pompadour for the baby sweater I just started. Why am I making baby sweaters all of a sudden--I'm not even 21 until Thurs, so I'm CERTAINLY not making them for myself. (Not immediately anyway. They'll probably get tucked away until I do have kids.) The downside is that baby clothes all look so cute I say, "Oh, I want one!" Somehow, I think my bf might disagree!

Amanda

*~*~*~*~*

Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  08:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
Check out the neck-down baby cardigan at www.cabinfever.ca for a really nice design that knits the sleeves flat, but attached to the body of the sweater. You do have to seam up the side and down the sleeve, but the button and buttonhole bands are knit right in and have holes on both sides. This makes it easy to make the sweater for a boy or girl and gives you exact placement of the buttons, which get sewn onto the sewn up hole that is not used.
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  11:39:37 AM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
I have made the Cabin Fever "Buttons" cardigan several times . . .(www.cabinfever.ca)(Dana Gibbons pattern)

It is knit from the neck down, no seams (DPNs for sleeves)and the buttonholes are horizontal and included on both sides. The pattern does tell you how to do it if you want to knit the sleeves flat, but I enjoy working with DPNs.

I've enjoyed working with this pattern, but after making four of them, I am ready to move on!

-- Mean Mama
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  1:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
You're right...it does tell you how to do the sleeves both ways. I was knitting this sweater on a plane, however and decided that flat was going to be easier to manage. I have a drawer full of Magic Buttons yarn, so next one I will try the other way.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe