Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what do moths look like?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  06:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
Just wondering, what do moths look like?

I have moth prevention bits (cear balls etc) in my stash, but i just wat to be sure I am well protected. What am I looking for?

Celia

View my completed items here
http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/celiang/

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  06:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
Picture a tiny butterfly, but gray and ugly. Actually, if you see a moth, the damage is probably already done. It's the little larvae (picture a little brown worm) that cause the damage.
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  06:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
ok.. i haven;t seen anythng like that.. thank goodness.
yuck.. i am so afraid of moths, it's like an obsession for me.

celia

Go to Top of Page

lakeviwa
Gabber Extraordinaire

569 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  07:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit lakeviwa's Homepage Send lakeviwa a Private Message
I saw the eggs of a moth outside my window and when they began to hatch they looked like little worms. It was quite fasinating and also quite disgusting.

Timeless Endings Soar Skyward
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  08:22:06 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
So how many of you actually have moths? In 30+ years I've never encountered a problem, and don't use any sort of MOth Away.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

lakeviwa
Gabber Extraordinaire

569 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  08:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit lakeviwa's Homepage Send lakeviwa a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by mokey

So how many of you actually have moths? In 30+ years I've never encountered a problem, and don't use any sort of MOth Away.

Where do you store your knits?

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  09:30:25 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I keep all my knits in my closet, or in our high boy(like an armoire)

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  11:57:06 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I haven't had moth problems in quite a few years, but in one of the first places we lived after we were married my sewing stash got covered with little cocoons. The little wormy guys have white spider-web-like stuff wrapped all over them and attaching themselves to your stuff. Yuck. Thank goodness we can afford to live somewhere with fewer indoor bugs now!
Lin
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  2:05:34 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I had some yarn get moth eaten. It was 'out of sight, out of mind' for several years, through 4 moves. Oh, well, I do keep cedar chips around my stash now.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca
My blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  3:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I don't actually know whether moths are a problem where I live. I am renting and it's a flat above the house owner's garage. It's a new house, so I'd say the risk of moth is probably minimal, no?
Hoever, I am very protective of my stash and I'm always worried about getting moth attacked. I use cedar balls and have been considering moth balls, but I don't like the smell of moth balls.

celia

Go to Top of Page

lakeviwa
Gabber Extraordinaire

569 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  3:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakeviwa's Homepage Send lakeviwa a Private Message
Celia,

I don't like the scent of mothballs either. Plus they are found to be potentially harmful and cancer causing agents. The best thing is Cedar or lavender. The dried flower will repell moths.

Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  4:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
hmm.. I think I'll go out to the helth food shop t get some lavendar flowers..
do you know whether it's the smell that repels moths? I was thinking that it may be easier and cheaper to get lavendar essential oils to put on cotton balls among my wool. is that going to be effective?

celia

Go to Top of Page

lakeviwa
Gabber Extraordinaire

569 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  4:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakeviwa's Homepage Send lakeviwa a Private Message
I believe it is the scent that repells the moths. The oil will work as well, just be sure that the cotton ball doesn't come into direct contact with your yarn to avoid oil stains.

Tess

Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  5:09:52 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message
I hang a ball of cotton soaked with lavendar essential oil from a string in my yarn closet, I replace it every 6 to 8 weeks

shaggy

Every day a peddler pulled his cart of wool from his home to the village market. It was a long trip. He had to travel around the perimeter of a large lake that was owned by the town tycoon, a modernday scrooge. One day during the winter the lake froze over. The peddler realized that he could cut off 2 miles from his trip if he crossed over the lake. He was spotted halfway across the lake by the tycoon. Scrooge came racing out of his mansion and screamed at the peddler, "Iíll be danged if I let anyone pull the wool over my ice!"
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  6:12:32 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
its the smell that repells them, any strong smell will work, it confuses them so they dont lay their eggs on the yarn as i understood it

- Katie

"Say what you mean, and mean what you say"

The next generation of knitters :-)
Go to Top of Page

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  9:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
One good saving factor is that moths only seem to bother woolens. The larvae eat the wool for norishment. The bad thing is they dig right through your woolens, in a straight line...so you can get many tiny holes across you garment. Did someone say in other postings that lavendar does not work?

www.knittingtime.com
Go to Top of Page

Lindy
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  09:55:53 AM  Show Profile Send Lindy a Private Message
I had a moth problem a few years ago - they completely destroyed an entire cone of lovely natural wool yarn. I ordered a pound bag of Herbal Moth-Repelling Blend from Long Creek Herbs. I made a few dozen little bags from muslin (you can also buy the bags from Long Creek), tucked them everywhere amongst my yarn and all other woolen items. Voila! No problems ever since. I recently ordered another pound as the original order was a few years old and seemed to be losing some of its oomph. I have no affiliation with Long Creek Herbs other than being a very happy customer. You can reach them online at http://www.Longcreekherbs.com

BTW - this herbal blend smells very nice

Lindy in AZ where it is too hot to knit with wool even with the central air conditioner and a fan running.
Go to Top of Page

jbrightwell@creekstone.net

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile Send jbrightwell@creekstone.net a Private Message
I have read that cloves also work as a month repellant. I like the smell so I've used clove sachets and have never had a problem. I don't know if is because of the cloves or if I'm just fortunate!
Go to Top of Page

gisela
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile Send gisela a Private Message
Lindy

Thanks for the suggestion about the herbal bags. I have been looking for something like this for a long while since I hate moth balls and their smell. My daughter in law who has tons of sweaters will love this too. I plan on visiting them this fall and am going to take her a big bag.

thanks again.

Gisela

Gisela
Go to Top of Page

Debbie Mo
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  11:59:00 AM  Show Profile Send Debbie Mo a Private Message
Regarding Mothballs, I made the mistake of using them once, and it took forever to get rid of the smell - even the plastic containers seemed to absorb it! I don't care for the smell of cedar, so I don't want to use that. I would like to use lavender instead, but I wasn't sure where to purchase lavender sachets. Or any sachets.

Any suggestions for where to look?

Debbie Mo
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  12:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
Cedar is another good moth repellant....would line my closets in cedar if I could afford to ! In the meantime, you can find cedar in all forms at places like Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things. I found a pack of 20 thin cedar blocks for $7.99 and these are small enough to fit into my storage drawers nicely. Hint with anything cedar: a light sanding will restore the scent when it starts to dissapate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?