Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 my Ribbing looks sloppy...can you help me??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  08:37:28 AM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
I am making a sweater with a K3 P3 rib and I have already frogged three times. The transition between ribs looks so sloppy, I hate it. There is a sizeable gap when I switch from k to p. I am in general a fairly tight knitter. I did my little swatch and am to gauge with the pattern, but this is so frustrating. Is this just how ribs look, or am I missing something? ive been using vogue knitting (ultimate knitting book) for reference.

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  08:39:48 AM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
thanks (in advance) for your help!!!
also, i am using Jaeger Chamonix (angora, wool blend) and US 8
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  08:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
How far up are you going on your swatch? It's possible that if you go a few inches, a little tugging will get the stitches to settle.

Do you knit Continental or English? Most continental knitters have a looser purl than knit, and most knitters in general have a different gauge for knit than purl.

Try tugging just a bit to make your first purl after a knit a bit tighter. Also maybe try loosening up on your knit stitches, if you say you're a tight knitter in general...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  08:43:29 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
You may be purling looser than you knit. I know that's something that I tend to do. Also, you're not taking the yarn over the needle instead of between the needles are you? if so, that'd cause a hole in the knitted fabric.

Go to Top of Page

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  08:49:30 AM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
im such a dork, i had to pull out my needles and check, but yes, i do go between the needles, not over. i guess its possible that my purls are loose. i will have to do some more swatches to see.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  09:11:42 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I've actually found that since my conversion to continental, my tension has evened out somewhat, but my purls are now a little tighter than my knits. Tugging just a little extra at the switch points does seem to help.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca
My blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
You can purl those stitches more tightly, but of course, you have to be conscious of it. That makes ribbing more tedious but it will even it up. If worse comes to worst, try purling in the back of the stitch. This twists it, making it tighter.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TheDishclothQueen
Chatty Knitter

112 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  12:35:58 PM  Show Profile Send TheDishclothQueen a Private Message
I had the SAME problem, and I just FINALLY solved it.

I 'spose you wanna know how, huh?

Instead of knitting by wrapping the yarn in a counter clockwise motion (the right way), wrap it in a clockwise motion. I think you'd only have to do this on the last stitch, but I do it in all of them to make it all neater. On the subsequent row, you'll purl into the BACK of that stich to un-twist it. My ribbing used to look like crap, but it's a million times better now.

Hope that helps!

Amanda

PS-->I've been doing this on a pair of socks, and when I switched to something else, I had a hard time remembering the right way to knit!

PPS-->If you're doing ribbing in the round, just knit into the back of all your knit stitches, still wrapping the yarn clockwise.

If I knit while I'm asleep
I pray the Lord my gauge to keep.
And if I die before I wake
I pray I may my knitting take.

*~*~*~*~*

thedishclothqueen.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  12:50:46 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I'm also having a problem with 3x3 ribbing. I finally "solved" it making my first and last purl stitches twisted (purling into the backs). It does tighten up the stitches, but you can see the twisted stiches so I'm not sure if this solution would appeal to everyone. I'm using Rowan Summer Tweed, which has a bumpy surface, so the twisted stitches wouldn't be noticable to most non-picky people. It might not look as good in a smooth yarn.

Jaeger Chamonix, eh? Oh you lucky lucky person!

Meg

Long Island, NY
Go to Top of Page

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  2:16:32 PM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
thank you everyone!!!

oooh! I can’t wait for this day to be over so I can try out everybody’s ideas! Yes, I am a lucky girl to be knitting w/ the Chamonix yarn. I feel unworthy… But it was a great sale (clearance at Colourway). Fortunately, I have an extra ball b/c the yarn is starting to look pretty beat up after being knit and frogged so many times. :)
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  3:36:14 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by megsco

im such a dork, i had to pull out my needles and check, but yes, i do go between the needles, not over. i guess its possible that my purls are loose. i will have to do some more swatches to see.

Whoa, wait a minute. Youare supposed to go between the needles, not over! If you go over you will creat a yarnover, which is an extra stitch with a hole.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

megsco
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  3:45:21 PM  Show Profile Send megsco a Private Message
yup! between the needles, not over...i just couldnt remember w/out doing it.
:)
i should have written that more clearly but i am doing it correctly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe