Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what if the yarn doesn't speak to you?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sportweight
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  04:46:28 AM  Show Profile Send Sportweight a Private Message
I bought some yarn on sale in the winter, shortly after I started knitting. It's a wool/mohair blend, dusty rose/purple boucle. I thought it was really pretty and unusual when I bought it. Back then, my stash was very small and I was eager to try everything, yarn-wise and patternwise. Now, I look at the yarn and it has zero appeal to me. I was originally going to make a shawl with it but I cast on a couple of days ago and it isn't looking any better on the needles than it did in the paper bag. I don't want to throw it away, so I guess I will bundle it up and take it to the local Goodwill Industries in the hope that someone else will like it and be able to use it. I have a weird sort of guilty feeling about it, though.

Does this ever happen to anyone else--you buy yarn and then wonder later what you ever saw in it? Maybe I'm just fickle.

Sportweight

ladybugger
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  05:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit ladybugger's Homepage Send ladybugger a Private Message
Sportweight - I sent you a PM.

I definitely sympathize, although I have never disliked anything to the point I've wanted it out of my house. I made a sweater for my man out of a yarn that just didn't appeal to me after a few inches, but I kept on pluggin', just in case it turned out nice. I hate it, he never wears it, and it's not finished well since I didn't want to put too much effort into that big bulky pile of yarn I didn't like. Ugh, I hate the thought of all that work for something ugly.

If you're fickle, we all are.

Nissa
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  05:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
Yes, I have to agree that happens sometimes. I think it's similar to clothes that look great on the rack, some yarns look good in the skein, LOL.

Since you have a wool/mohair blend, you might try felting a swatch and see how it looks. You might like it enough to make a Booga bag or some other felted item.

"SmellyCat, SmellyCat, what are they feeding you?"
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  06:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I just sold some Kidsilk Haze to a friend. In the store I loved the color - it's some of my favorite yarn to work with - but at home it just wasn't quite right. It spent a year in my closet before I got tired of trying to make it right. It'll be much happier in her house, and I'll be much happier not having to use it.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:08:05 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Sometimes a yarn or pattern just doesn't appeal, then one day it will click and I'll wonder how I missed it before. I only throw out yarns which I don't like to knit with, or which don't hold up to wear. Color and texture are a no-mind. I have yarns which I loved at one time, then turned off. Some day I might see them differently. If I've had something for ages and it still doesn't appeal, I'll give it away. Patterns I keep just about forever.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4153 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:15:15 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I'd keep it around...it might work as a trim on a sweater or as fringe on a shawl or poncho...you never know!

kim in oregon

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
That's happened to me too so I decided to bring all the yarns that "lost interest in me" (LOL) to my knitting group where they all took pity on me and removed the yarn from my sight immediately. Gosh, I love those ladies. No guilt you gave the yarn a good home and now it'll go to another of the same.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  08:49:15 AM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message
We all regret the morning after a fling at the yarn shop now and again. I save all mine up and twice a year my knitting guild has a swap. I always wind up bringing home something that ends up at the next swap, though! Seems I just can't resist bringing yarn home! Just call me a yarn slut!!
If you have yarns that a charity knitting group in your area wants, let them know. Most of them use synthetics only, which most of us don't do, but it's a thought if you do have syns in your stash.

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Sell it on Ebay!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  09:33:31 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
For every yarn that doesn't speak to us, there are hundreds that scream BUY ME! Those are the ones I listen to. Sell, swap, or give away.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  10:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I've got some yarn that doesn't speak to me. I'm planning to donate it. I honestly don't know what possessed me to buy it but I didn't know a lot about yarn when I bought it.

I'm either going to donate it or I'll make charity items with it.
It's baby/sport weight and it splits like crazy. I do know that there are some that really like this yarn. I'm just not one of those people.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
FO for 2004: 1 blanket and 2/3 sweater & 2 hats w/booties (needing to be seamed) 1/5 rug
Frogpond: 2
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  11:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Marie~ you made me laugh with your "morning after" sentiments! LOL I've never think about yarn the same way again.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

extrafancydg
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  11:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit extrafancydg's Homepage Send extrafancydg a Private Message
Sigh...how timely this thread is!

I was at the Hub Mills Outlet in Lowell, Mass., on Saturday, and got there RIGHT before closing time - I ended up buying 6 skeins of Classic Elite Star - 3 in pink, 3 in beige. I really don't feel like making a scarf with it, I really don't feel like making ANYTHING with it...so, I'm knitting a blanket for critter knitters and hopefully when it's done, I'll feel good about it (buying the yarn, not knitting the blanket, of course). I just feel irritated with myself that I bought yarn I had no real feelings for just because it was a good price, and because I felt bad that the lady in the store had to stay 10 minutes late for me!

Elisa

Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  2:50:56 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Give it to another knitter, donate it or sell it. It sounds rather pretty.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  3:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
I was seduced by a grey llama lace-weight. At the time I just HAD to knit some luxury fiber and the quivet was too expensive. I loved the feel of the llama but of all the naturally colored shades, only the grey suited my coloring.

The intent was to knit a lightweight lacy scarf for myself but every lace pattern I try doesn't seem to work with it. The samples come out looking like they were knit with utility string. I think the fiber was spun a little too tightly or something as it coils back on itself when I am trying to knit with it. She did say it was from one of her older llamas, but honestly it FELT wonderful.

So far we (the llama fiber and I) are still on speaking terms, but I will have to wait until I learn what language it is trying to converse in!

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  5:23:04 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I went on an internet buying binge last year, and bought lots of balls of yarn I knew nothing about. The stuff I didn't like mostly went to the kids in my knitting club, the rest is waiting for inspiration. Since I can no longer afford to replace it, it'll get used eventually.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!
My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

teralina@hotmail.com

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  12:29:33 PM  Show Profile Send teralina@hotmail.com a Private Message
My local knitting store has started an "endless basket". We can donate unwanted or scrap balls of yarn to it. We do community service projects (baby hats, lap blankets for the local kidney dialysis center & Shriner's kids) and anyone can help themselves to the yarn in the basket to make these items.
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  12:52:55 PM  Show Profile Send pqpatch a Private Message
Yes this has happened to me also. I have some Ironstone Island Cotton that I am not fond of. I had a sweater nearly finished and just didn't like the outcome so tore it all apart. It now sits in a large ball waiting to reinspire me. This was not cheap yarn, so I feel guilty about not using it. Maybe someday the right pattern will come along and I can try again.
Go to Top of Page

JMORGAN@BESTMFG.COM
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  2:53:30 PM  Show Profile Send JMORGAN@BESTMFG.COM a Private Message
I purchased two beautiful cones of Italian chenille. I had decided to make shawls for Xmas gifts. When I started knitting I noticed that I had puffs of fuzz of the colors I was using for the shawl. Not only was the yarn shedding on me, it was any and everywhere I had been when I was using the yarn. I went back to the yarn store and they told me to purchase a yarn to use as a filler to keep the chenille from pilling. Even that did not work. I had puffs of purple and gold fuzz ball everywhere. I am still determined to find something to use that yarn for, but I am not sure if I can handle all the shedding.
Go to Top of Page

jpoer@apha.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile Send jpoer@apha.com a Private Message
Sell yarn you don't like on ebay. At least that way you can get some of your yarn cash back!
Go to Top of Page

pamulla@earthlink.net
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  4:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit pamulla@earthlink.net's Homepage Send pamulla@earthlink.net a Private Message
I bought some Missoni yarn in Italy at the only yarn shop I could find there and felt like had to come home with some yarn. It is a little unique, a boucle with a few flecks of color. I tried knitting it, knitting on my knitting machine, knitting with black stripes...I just can't get excited about it and I feel duty bound to do something with it...but some stuff I have accumulated over the years I have donated to Goodwill. I don't think Ebay was around then.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?