Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what if the yarn doesn't speak to you?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2000 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  4:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Yes indeedy, I have bought yarn & later on tho't "What was I thinking??!!" Some things that seem to help me to avoid this situation are:
**It's good for me to have eaten lunch or had a snack before I shop (this includes fabric - I'm a quilter too) as a full tummy seems to give me a clearer head & that allows me to make better decisions.
**If I have some doubts about a purchase, I will either sleep on the decision & go back the next day or not go back at all.
**The choice can be, for me, between "Do I need this?" or "Do I want it?" Sometimes it's choice a, b or c.
Folks will bring their "unwanted" yarns to our knitting group & we'll swap. I have brought extra yarn to the KR Retreat for the swap table too. The Salvation Army & Goodwill, as others have stated, are good places for donations.
Let us know, Sportweight, what you did w/it.
Martha
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  4:55:40 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Many schools have knitting clubs now. Offer it to your local art or craft teacher, they might be delighted to have it. Chayah in NYS
Go to Top of Page

Sportweight
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  8:31:50 PM  Show Profile Send Sportweight a Private Message
I really appreciate all the helpful advice and comments. My primary concern is not really about what to do with the yarn, but rather questioning my judgment. I am still a relatively new knitter and I suppose it takes some time to develop your taste/esthetic. I still really want to work with boucle but just not this boucle!

A couple of friends have expressed an interest in my poor boucle, so I may find a new home for it soon. If not, it may end up being my first felting experiment. If neither plan A nor plan B work, I will go back to my original idea of giving it to Goodwill.

Sportweight
Go to Top of Page

Robin C-C
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  9:20:07 PM  Show Profile Send Robin C-C a Private Message
Don't be too hard on yourself--we've all brought home a hunk of boucle we couldn't bear to face in the morning. When you're in a yarn shop, your judgment is affected by all the colors and textures clamoring for your attention. Sometimes I find I'm in sensory overload and a bit numb; everything looks equally appealing. It's like your sense of smell--after two or three scents, you lose your ability to discriminate. So it is with yarn--you lose touch with what you really like because you're distracted by the profusion of stimuli.
Also--I've worked with boucles and they can be very challenging to knit. I've got to love a boucle to work with it. So if you don't love it--leave it.
Go to Top of Page

mrogers3@frontiernet.net

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  03:28:36 AM  Show Profile Send mrogers3@frontiernet.net a Private Message
It's OK to get rid of yarns that don't work for you. People like me buy them all the time and are thankful! How else would I have gotten roughly 50 balls of silk/linen blend in 4 glorious colors for 5 bucks at a church rummage sale? I'd like to say that everybody wins, but obviously the donor gave away something of fairly high value and only got some closet, drawer or shelf space in return. Living within your means sometimes means living within your space constraints and living only with things that please you. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

Visiting a yarn store is always a trip to temptation alley. Just like finding a perfect mate, some yarns seduce you, but are completely wrong for you. Get out with your pride intact!
Go to Top of Page

goldthreads
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  03:59:30 AM  Show Profile Send goldthreads a Private Message
I don't think I ever bought yarn that I regret buying. There is one yarn in the Prism Wild Stuff skein that I really disliked knitting. So I eliminated that yarn. It was too bad because the texture was great but the yarn stuck with every stitch and yarn throw.
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  09:21:44 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
I am currently working on a baby sweater with yarn that I now dislike very much. It's Plymouth Stone Cotton (cotton/acrylic blend) in the prettiest shade of teal green. My friend doesn't know the gender of her unborn child yet, so I thought this color would be great. She's a blue-eyed, red-head and so are her other two kids. I bought 16 balls of this yarn to make a layette from the Maryland Sheep & Wool festival. It was my only "major" purchase and I was initially delighted with the prospect of using it. I have since learned that I do not knit well with it and it's becoming a chore to complete the set. Lesson learned. On another note, my husband surprised me with 15 balls of acrylic boucle yarn in a gray & white twist. I was thrilled that he was so thoughtful, but I really dislike the yarn. I'd never hurt his feelings by not using it. This yarn is discontinued...a wily saleswoman must have seen the word "sucker" printed on my DH's forehead and unloaded the whole bundle on him. It's yucky stuff! I'll plug along and find something to do with it.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Redrobin
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  09:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Redrobin's Homepage Send Redrobin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by teralina@hotmail.com

My local knitting store has started an "endless basket". We can donate unwanted or scrap balls of yarn to it. We do community service projects (baby hats, lap blankets for the local kidney dialysis center & Shriner's kids) and anyone can help themselves to the yarn in the basket to make these items.

That is such a fantastic idea. I wish mine did that!
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  06:47:44 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
Her yarn spoke to me and said "take me home" so I did.
Go to Top of Page

Debbie Dennis
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:18:19 AM  Show Profile Send Debbie Dennis a Private Message
My Guild has a swap in the fall. However, this year we sent the yarn, needles, patterns, books, any thing we thought we could live without, to Preston, Missouri, one of the towns that was blown away in a tornado May 4, 2003. We actually contacted a yarn shop in Bolivar, Mo where many of the Preston knitters shopped and knitted for newborns in need. That dhop sccepted the yarn for the knitters as there was no post office or any where in Preston to send the boxes to.
There is always some one who will be happy to have yarn.

Delphia G Dennis
Go to Top of Page

ikelers_holler
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:40:05 AM  Show Profile Send ikelers_holler a Private Message
This one is different. One very hot day in central Fl., I was at a yard sale..there was all this yarn on a table, a skein of this and a skein of that...nothing I was interested in..then there was this hank skein of some green, very scratchy stuff....wool...we never have wool in Fl...so I inquire..yes there is more...lots more in the shed..want to see? Sure...and sure enough, I buy all of it...a quarter for each hank shein..all the same shade...green...something about it was from some sheep in the family, I have several grocery (paper) bags full. I put it in barrels with some (yuk) mothballs for storage and moved it to my present home in NC. Now I can work with wool..but what? I tried makeing a hat and seeing how it would felt...the cats have a wonderful blankie from that! I'm now trying a vest and will attempt to felt that..it's just too scratchy for anything else. I have a bunch that's for sure. ~nancy~
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I've got some yarn that's not speaking to me at all. So I finally decided to sell it. I posted it on my blog today, if anyone's interested. I just feel guilty everytime I look at it, and since I'm sure someone else will love it, I can get it out of my house, sell it for less than I bought it for, but then have some money for a treat for myself to ease recovery from the guilt!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.