Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Raglan Decreases
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  06:30:27 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I was wondering, when doing decreases for a raglan does it matter whether you do the decreases on the right or wrong side? Sue

~Knitting is a gift you give to yourself~

cmarks
Gabber Extraordinaire

487 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  06:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmarks's Homepage Send cmarks a Private Message
I don't know if this helps or even on the topic but I just completed a raglan sweater. And for the sleeves when it came time for the decreases they had me do on each side like this K2,SKP, then knit for however many stitches til four stitches are left then k2together, K2 but that was for the sleeves. That was the decreases for the sleeves and back of the sweater. Hope that helped. Those were my instructions. I knitted the raglan sweater in the Vogue Knitting International (Winter 2003-04) Design number 20. Good luck!

Peace be with you,
Carol

'Normal' is a setting on the dishwasher.
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  07:31:01 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I don't think it matters, as long as the decreases look OK on the right side. As Carol says, the most common decrease has matched stitches on each end of the right side and is the one I prefer, but if you like to decrease at the beginning or end of a row I don't see why you can't do them on alternate rows.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

cmarks
Gabber Extraordinaire

487 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  07:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmarks's Homepage Send cmarks a Private Message
I guess I should clarify it was the armhole shapings? (sleeves and back?) I was working on when decreasing (hence the reason they call it a raglan I suppose). I'm sorry I am really not one to give advice! This was my first sweater, but it did turn out GREAT! LOL I'm so goofy somtimes. I really hope you get it resolved.

Peace be with you,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  7:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Thanks for the feedback, Carol and Cheryl. I'm doing the decreases at the beginning and ends of the rows, not alternating but I'm doing k2 ssk and k2 tog on the knit side and my right side is the reverse stockinette! That's why I was wondering but Cheryl like you said it looks fine on the right side so it's fine. I wonder if there's a way to do purl 2 together for raglans? Initially I did do my decreases on both the knit and purl sides because I had so many stitches to get rid of. I just did purl 2. Carol, I think I know which pattern you just did. Is it the Manos cardigan in the terracotta color? Sue

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  12:02:07 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Of course you can purl 2 together! And ssp.But, if you're happy with what you're doing . . .

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!
My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  04:15:31 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Can you refresh my memory, Ser Mom? What is ssp? Sue

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  05:34:27 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Of course, Ser mom! Now I get it, you do the same thing that you do with ssk only purl. But I guess you slip the 2 stitches purlwise instead of knitwise. Is that it? Thanks. Sue

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  09:41:58 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
NO, I think you'd still slip knitwise, since they're going to be worked immediately, but you can try it out and see which you like the looks of better. I ssk slipping both st knitwise, but others slip one or the other (I can't remember which) purlwise, they say it makes it look smoother, so, as with most things, it's individual.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!
My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  04:52:10 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I will try it, thanks Sermom. Sue

~Knitting is gift you give to yourself~
Go to Top of Page

cmarks
Gabber Extraordinaire

487 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  07:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmarks's Homepage Send cmarks a Private Message
The raglan I did was out of the Vogue Knitters International Winter 2003/2004 pattern #20. It called for Debbie Bliss/KFI Cotton Denem Aran, but I used a different yarn and it came out fine! They had me doing the decreases on the back and sleeves on both sides and on the right side facing like this K2, SKP, k to last 4 sts, K2tog, K2. Then just purl the next row and then repeat the decreases again on the right side for however many rows.

For example: here is the instructions they gave me for decreasing the back whe it got to the raglan armhole shaping:

Bind off 7 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Next (dec) row (RS) K2, SKP, k to last 4 sts, k2tog, K2.
P 1 row.
Rep last 2 rows 31 times more (should be left with 32 sts). Bind off.

Peace be with you,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  04:27:39 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Carol, I checked my vogue mag and a couple of other books to get a definition of skp but could not find it anywhere. Could you clear things up here? Thanks! Sue

~Knitting is gift you give to yourself~
Go to Top of Page

cmarks
Gabber Extraordinaire

487 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  06:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmarks's Homepage Send cmarks a Private Message
Slip next stitch to right needle.
Knit the next stitch,
then PASS the slipped stitch back over the new stitch you just knitted- in other words:(pass the the first stich (the one that you slipped in the first place) back over top of knitted stitch back over to the left needle}.

Does that make sense? Slip, Knit, Passbackover It's hard to describe stuff and read other's description sometimes on here.

Peace be with you,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  04:53:34 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Thanks, Carol. I find it interesting that they use differnt decreases for that first decrease, ssk, and skp. Interesting also that you can use skp for the wrong side instead of purling two tog. I guess that way you get a full fashioned seam that shows on both sides whether your right side is knit or purl. I would rather have the seam showing on my rev stockinette front. Oh well, now I know for next time. Mental notes! Sue

Go to Top of Page

cmarks
Gabber Extraordinaire

487 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  04:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmarks's Homepage Send cmarks a Private Message
They had me doing the decreases with the right side of my knitting facing me. I would do the SKP at begging of right side row and at the end of row I would purl two togeter. It came out quite lovely and even and all slanting in the correct directions. So..I don't know. Keep it mind it was just for the armhole shaping and it was a raglan pattern. That may make a difference, I have no idea. LOLOL Anyway, hope you are knitting and living well.

Peace be with you,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  6:32:17 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Oh, I see, Carol, for some reason I thought you said you could do it on the wrong side too. Maybe I wanted to see that! Thanks for clearing things up, again! Take care. Sue

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?