Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Where can I find silver novelty strands. . .
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  04:56:23 AM  Show Profile Send Molly C a Private Message
I am looking for a pure silver novelty yarn or thread to use as an accent to carry along with another yarn.

There are lots of yarns that have a metallic thread spun into the yarn, or used as a binding to keep the plies together. Does anyone know where I can get just the metallic part?

I would like to carry it with a bulky weight yarn for my poncho, but I don't have any idea what to search under at various stores. I do not want a ribbon or eyelash yarn - just the metallic strand by itself.

Any ideas?

Molly
http://knittingmolly.blogspot.com

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  05:31:19 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Knitplace.com has it, $10 for 8 oz of silver, $15 for 8 oz of gold or for black/silver twist. Their service is very good. They're also called "knititems" on ebay.
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  05:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
i have a novelty silver yarn. Look under my post of "chainmail shirt for kid" or something like that in the kid's section.
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  06:00:16 AM  Show Profile Send Molly C a Private Message
Kelly - thanks! That's just about what I was looking for, but I don't think I need eight oz. of it. I'm only wanting to use it on random stitches, not carried with the whole project, but I will definitely keep that in mind if I can't find anything else.

Mamaid - thanks for your link, but the yarn you are using is too bulky for me to use as a carry along. I just want a thread of silver.

Molly
http://knittingmolly.blogspot.com

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  06:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I saw some silver filament-type thread earlier this month at the marketplace at Creative Strands - in fact Bess knit some that was pink metallic up into a swatch with some homespun, and it looked great. You should be able to find this at any needlework store, and it came on small spools, each held 200-250 yards, I think. There was no brand on the spools, but they shouldn't be hard to describe.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  06:48:30 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I picked up at the local fabric store. It is a silver metalic thread I want to go with some yarn for just a hint of glitter in my mini poncho in Blue Heron Cotton Rayon Seed yarn. I want to wear it for the holidays. So try your local fabric/sewing store.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  07:20:41 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
You might be able to find some silver thread that is used for embroidery/cross stich, made by a company like DMC. I just looked at the web site (www.dmc-usa.com) and they have metallic pearl thread as well as several other metallics.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lakeviwa
Gabber Extraordinaire

569 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  6:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakeviwa's Homepage Send lakeviwa a Private Message
How about Rowan's Lurex Shimmer.

Tess

Timeless Endings Soar Skyward
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  6:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
DUH! I am sooo stupid sometimes. Yes, both DMC and Anchor have nice silver threads. Krenik makes a silver braid in several sizes. A good needlecraft store - not just a LYS - would have the silver Krenik. I'm pretty sure that would work for you.
Go to Top of Page

Figaroz
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  7:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Figaroz a Yahoo! Message Send Figaroz a Private Message
What about Berroco's Quest?
http://www.yarnmarket.com/product.cfm?action=show_product&product_id=618

Figs
Go to Top of Page

Sandra C
Gabber Extraordinaire

403 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  05:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra C's Homepage Send Sandra C a Private Message
Hi Molly,
Yours is a great idea. I also sew, so I have another whole category of stashes, fabric and thread (and patterns and tools and gadgets).

I have lots of metallic threads that I think would be perfect for your project. You can have some for just the postage if you'd like. Send me an e-mail.

Take care,
Sandra C
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:42:12 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
There is a yarn shop in Easthampton, MA that has an online storefront that carries all kinds of metal yarns -- they look really neat. I don't have the URL handy on this machine but I'm bumping up the topic so I can check later on the other computer.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth