Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Favorite Handcream?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tighniamh
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  11:35:38 AM  Show Profile Send tighniamh a Private Message
Do you have a favorite lotion? So many of us get really dry hands from knitting! What type of handcream or lotion do other knitters use to relieve the problem? Do you use lotion while knitting or wait until you're finished knitting for the day?
Niamh

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  11:58:02 AM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
I have three lotions that I use: Neutrogena Emulsion, Aveeno Daily Moisturizing (just discovered this; it's GREAT!), and this wonderful "lotion bar" that I picked up at a local farmer's market a few weeks ago: it's a bar made of bee's wax with other natural creams and herbs and scents mixed in. You take the bar and rub it on your hands then rub your hands together. What a wonderful, natural, beeswax-y, honey-ish, herb-y smell it has! And it makes your hands feel as smooth as silk!

Pookie

Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  2:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
Heavenly Handcream from a wonderful work at home mom....

http://www.customcreationsco.com/emollients.shtml

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  12:51:11 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
when knitting I use the quilter's favorite...plain old udder cream... available under many brand names, available in most fabric stores and quilting shops at for around $8 to $10. But I get the same thing at Walmart for about $3. Or if you really want a bargain, get it at seed or farm stores in bulk.....LOL

Advantage of this lotion (besides being a very good lotion) is that it does not injure or stain fiber. Since it was designed to be used on udders, it had to be safe in case any got into the milk, so it is very good.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  7:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Now Fran, would you say the cream is just so-so, or is it udderly fantastic? Although I've been a firm believer in Neutrogena Emulsion (also recommended by Pookie), I may have to check out this udder cream...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  9:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
I agree, udder cream great and I've used it for years. Plain old vaseline is great too. If my hands are very rough and cracked I used it overnight: apply thick and pack hands into gloves over night. Works wonder.
For quick help during the day I use Suave Skin Therapy Lotion. It's pretty much like the Dry Skin Lotion made by Vaseline but cheaper. Does the same job!!!

Happy Knitting,
DREA who fininshed scarf #4, #5 to be started, 7 more to go)
knitter@newsguy.com
http://love2knit.8m.com/
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

kathy@fibercations.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  11:57:58 PM  Show Profile Send kathy@fibercations.com a Private Message

When my hands are realy dry (and they get that way quite often) I take a teaspoon of sugar and put it in the palm of my hand, then pour about a teaspoon of olive oil on top of it. Then I rub it in like I'm washing my hands for several minutes. Then I use liquid handsoap to remove most of the oil. I was told that this is an old silk spinner's trick.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  03:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Man these are great ideas. Fran - i am going to try that udder cream and Kathy I love olive oil for just about anything. In fact, I always lather my face with olive oil when I go out into the snow. (about every 4 years, sigh) In winter I like to completely massage my whole body with it, let it soak in a few minutes, then take a warm bath. If I do this at night I wake up with the most suple luxuriously delicious feeling skin the next morning.

But here's another suggestion for dry skin - parifin wax dip. i got the idea at a nail salon, where for an extra $5, they dip your hands in melted parafin about 6 times then sit you down with your hands in thick gloves for 15 minutes. When the wax is peeled off your hands feel like baby skin. I was ooing and ahhing about it (while the wax is on it tingles) and the manicurist told me I could get a home unit at Walmart! Guess what my Christmas present to me was last year? The box is big enough to dip your feet in, too. Weekly treatments have completely changed the look and feel of my hands.

Go to Top of Page

edie
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  05:01:34 AM  Show Profile Send edie a Private Message
i have had problems with dry hands and eczema since i was a teenager, and i'm a physical therapist (i wash my hands about a million and one times a day), so i feel like i've tried every handcream out there. my favorites are neutrogena norwegian formula hand cream, vanicream (i get it from the dermatologist's office), and i just found this really cool hand balm called Knitters Little Helper at my LYS. it is greasless, stainless, smells fantastic from essential oils, and comes in this cool little tin with a drawing of a woman knitting on the top. i saw it for sale online at patternworks also. it is coming in handy right now as i am knitting a tank top out of Tess' microfiber ribbon yarn (snags easily on even slightly dry fingers).
Go to Top of Page

ejm1965
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  06:46:48 AM  Show Profile Send ejm1965 a Private Message
I sell Jafra skin products, and we have a Royal Jelly hand cream that is superb. As the mother of a 20 month old, I am constantly washing my hands, and all of the hand creams had no effect on my scaly hands. This cream is the 1st to hit the spot, so to speak. FMI you can contact me at myjafra.com/emitschele.
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  06:54:55 AM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
I have used udder cream and bag balm for a number of years. But, I have recently discovered Bath and Body Works Healing Hand Cream with shea butter. I have had dry, pealing fingernails all my life. I have never been able to grow nails. I stumbled on to this cream because of the fragrance and low and behold my nails started to grow. I can't believe it! I have used every nail product on the market...the money I have spent trying to grow nails... They are strong and yet will bend without breaking. I have to trim them back once a week because I am not used to them yet. I slather it on at night and lightly apply 3 or 4 times a day. I have found a site that that sells products with high shea butter content and I have ordered some. I will let you know if it works as well. I am not connected with Bath & Body Works...just a suprised customer.

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

tighniamh
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  09:07:18 AM  Show Profile Send tighniamh a Private Message
Well since I started this topic I should mention the lotions I prefer. I love Bath & Bodyworks hand lotion with shea butter also, but find that it's too heavy to use while I'm knitting. Recently I discovered a new lotion at my LYS called 'Mandarin Coriander by company called The Thymes. It's light enough to use while knitting and has a wonderful citrus/herb scent.

Niamh

Go to Top of Page

melheather
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  09:36:40 AM  Show Profile Send melheather a Private Message
I use the Bath & Body works Body Cream when I knit. If you use a tiny bit and rub it in good it doesn't leave your hands slimy or coat the needles like some of the other lotions I used to use.
Go to Top of Page

OxfordGail
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  12:17:23 PM  Show Profile Send OxfordGail a Private Message
There are a couple of things I like to use. Cornhusker's Lotion works well and it's not greasy. Olive oil is an all-time favorite. I also like Badger Balm products - they smell great - yummy herb scents - Rosemary, Peppermint - stuff like that. They have a sore muscle rub that has ginger and cayanne in it for heat. It makes me wonder why products like bengay have to stink like they do! I just tried a Lavendar Salve from a LYS made by Castenliht Creations - another yummy scent. It seems that wonderful scents just make one feel better.

Go to Top of Page

lavender
Chatty Knitter

189 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  12:22:57 PM  Show Profile Send lavender a Private Message
My favorite hand lotion (don't really like creams, too heavy)is Avalon Organics Lavender Hand and Body Lotion. Keeps my hands super soft and soaks right in. It's never greasy. PLUS, it has a heavenly lavender scent. I agree, scents can be very uplifting.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  7:33:53 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I also use other lotions as body lotions such as nutrogena, cocoa butter, and Gold bond (for itchy skin)and also Keri lotion. but I prefer the udder cream for my hands because it does not affect fiber and I think that is important. I even mix my own lotions with an olive oil base and fragrances, as I am allergic to so many things. I have extremely dry skin which will get flaky if I do not apply lotion daily so I put it on damp washcloth and apply it to wet skin. You won't believe what a difference that makes over applying the lotion straight from the bottle.

The hot paraffin wax dip is a very old treatment for arthritic hands that is still used today, but there is a danger there. Please be sure you are using the wax made for this purpose not any old parafin wax. I used to mix it at the hospital and it has several other ingredients in it besides paraffin. A plain parafin wax will BURN the skin. Also only use in the temperature controlled baths sold for this purpose...again to prevent burns and because it is highly flammable.

As for using sugar on you hands, one of the best moisturizers available is plain honey. Rub it in, it dissappears and is not sticky after a minute or two.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  10:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I have ordered some lotion from Custom Creations and a bar of soap. I like cornhuskers, too, and I have some foot cream with shea butter and peppermint that is from Bath and Body Works. It works well on dry skin in the climate in New Mexico, very dry most of the time, except now, during the monsoons. I haven't used it on my hands before knitting, though. HONEY, now that sounds funny. Reminds me, I sat on a pine stump at camp this week, and got sticky sap on the seat of my shorts--nasty. Had to go change right away!! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

wilburanne@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  12:37:19 PM  Show Profile Send wilburanne@aol.com a Private Message
Give Mary Jo's Hand Cream a try. It's Mostly all lanolin. Non- greasy and works like a charm.
Go to Top of Page

karenbmiller
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  1:00:14 PM  Show Profile Send karenbmiller a Private Message
I once asked my cleaning lady what she used on her hands. I figured that whatever works for her would work for me. I've been using Ponds Dry Skin Cream on my hands every night since then. In the winter, my hands get very dry and cracked. During the day, I like Earth Therapeutics "Gardener's Hand Repair." I try not to put on lotion while I'm knitting because it holds the yarn and I end up knitting tighter for a while. This causes an uneven look when some rows are tight and some are loose.

Karen Miller

Go to Top of Page

Suse
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  1:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send Suse a Private Message
I have found that I have to use a variety of creams for my hands. Evidently the skin uses what it needs from each one. Neutragena, Oil of Olay, etc. I also found that my skin improved with a better vitamin intake...esp. Vitamin E. I have also used Vitamin E handcreams on my skin with good results. Cocoa butter works well too. And my nails are in good shape, finally!

Go to Top of Page

lorirae
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  06:21:00 AM  Show Profile Send lorirae a Private Message

All Udder Balms are NOT created equal

Look for Dionne Products from Des Moines IA. I have only found it in feed stores. Could not find it in the entire state of TX, but have located it in TX, OK and NC - you lucky people [;)

Truly, brands do make a difference. This brand was actually recommended by a dermatologist when prescription lotion failed to control cracked to the point of bleeding fingertips during the winter. It does not stain yarn, has a slight lemon fragrance that dissipates quickly, does not leave your hands feeling slick or sticky and is also wonderful for wintertime dry feet and legs as well.

Yes, I talk the way I write - and knit that way too - on and on and on

I can't quite figure out what it going on here. I wrote a second message after I thought I lost the first, now when I preview . . . the first message pops up. Who know what will post?

Lori

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.