Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Favorite Handcream?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

berlinknits
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  08:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit berlinknits's Homepage Send berlinknits a Private Message
I have to vote for "Knitter's Little Helper." I love the essential oils and it makes my hands really smooth and makes me feel like I'm knitting faster. The scent puts me in that knitting frame of mind!

Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  07:14:57 AM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Hey Knitter2568, I love that crayon sweater! Have you yet written up the instructions? If not, could I convince you? Please? :)

Oh, sorry! As far as handcreams, I'm afraid... I'm allergic to everything, I swear! The first was Dawn dish soap, where it made me look like a puppy's chew toy and since then, I've accumulated more. My face is the worst- I mostly just rinse it in fear of little red spots. I used to use one from the craft store- in a pink bottle with a darker pink, almost a pink/red lid- that never felt greasy (I hate that greasy feel) and was safe for any crafts you worked on. I forget the name because, alas, I've fallen allergic to it, too. I might try that olive oil trick, though. If I can eat it, I can put it on my skin, right?

Amanda

quote:

I agree, udder cream great and I've used it for years. Plain old vaseline is great too. If my hands are very rough and cracked I used it overnight: apply thick and pack hands into gloves over night. Works wonder.
For quick help during the day I use Suave Skin Therapy Lotion. It's pretty much like the Dry Skin Lotion made by Vaseline but cheaper. Does the same job!!!

Happy Knitting,
DREA who fininshed scarf #4, #5 to be started, 7 more to go)
knitter@newsguy.com
http://love2knit.8m.com/
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

UdderBalmLady
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  02:18:48 AM  Show Profile Send UdderBalmLady a Private Message
Ladies, I don't read this forum, so please don't respond. I was recommending Dionne udder balm to a friend in New York City and I doubt she could find it at a farm store there.

So, I did a search for Dionne on dogpile, and this thread popped up. I noticed where someone mentioned it, but said they could only find it at feed stores.

I get mine at a feed store near my house. But, I just found it online as well, so I thought I'd share with you. I even registered just so I could post this!

If I ever learn to knit, I'll come back! Take care :)

http://www.livestocksupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bcls&Product_Code=108901078&Category_Code=

Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  06:28:50 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message
I love anything by Burt's Bees, as Vicky mentioned above...but there is also a hand cream I had a while ago that I Loved. It was a small tube..with a drawing of a woman in high heels changing the tire on her car( kinda like...soft, but strong?) it was the best hand cream I have ever tried..wish I could remember the name..it had a great soft scent and was thick, but not greasy...if anyone knows what it is let me know..it was great!

Go to Top of Page

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile Send janeknits a Private Message
Over the holidays I found a hand cream that's turned out to be the best I've ever used. It's called "No-Crack Super Hand Cream" (Day Use). I got mine at Restoration Hardware (of all places!) but later saw it in the Vermont Country Store catalog. It's $5.95 for a 4 oz. jar but at the rate I'm using it one jar looks like it'll last me for about six months.

In the winter my fingers crack and bleed and HURT. In two weeks this cream has completely stopped that -- and it is NOT greasy. It's the first hand cream I've ever found that I will apply regularly because it isn't greasy.

Go to Top of Page

sentientbeing
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  7:45:22 PM  Show Profile Send sentientbeing a Private Message
I'll cast a vote for Burt's Bees Milk and Honey lotion, too. I'm also allergic to almost everything, and it's so soothing. It also helps prevent those nasty splits that I sometimes get at the edge of my thumbnails in the winter. They hurt so much and are hard to heal up. I like the fact that Burt's Bees lotion absorbs in quickly and you can resume knitting right away. And my 20-year-old son, who would never want to use anything "femmy," found that it helped heal the many paper cuts that he'd gotten at work.

In fact, I like almost all the Burt's Bees products, and you should try the Apricot baby oil.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  7:59:49 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Years ago when I did literally tons of baking at Christmas time I found that my usually dry hands weren't. It suddenly dawned on me that greasing cookie sheets, cake pans, loaf pans, whatever, with Crisco had done the trick. The rest of the year I use Neutrogena and find that the foot lotion works very well. I found that out by rubbing it into my feet after taking a shower it also benefited my hands, legs, whatever. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

baskinknits@aol.com
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  11:39:00 PM  Show Profile Send baskinknits@aol.com a Private Message

Hey, try Aveeno Hand Cream. Sometimes when my hands get particularly dry, during gardening season or when knitting (too much?) I'll coat my hands with Aveeno, and then put on white cotton gloves...not very pretty but leave it on overnight like this and your hands will be wonderful in the morning. Judy

quote:

Do you have a favorite lotion? So many of us get really dry hands from knitting! What type of handcream or lotion do other knitters use to relieve the problem? Do you use lotion while knitting or wait until you're finished knitting for the day?
Niamh

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  01:47:17 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Hey Bev, I thought you might enjoy this story. My mother was the manager of a cafeteria and her employees were complaining about how drying their work was and that they thought the company should supply them with hand cream. So....my mom went into the storage area and came out with a jar containing a white cream which she said was unscented and very pure. They loved it and swore by it . It was sensational, but they always had to get it from my mother.....until the day one of them had to quit when her husband was transferred and requested the information to purchase it on her own. So my mother told her the secret...she was just refilling the jar from the Crisco can.

fran

Go to Top of Page

sneewittchen
Chatty Knitter

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  8:22:49 PM  Show Profile Send sneewittchen a Private Message
I have a hard time with lotions and prefer a less greasy moisturizer. I prefer Cococare, a big stick of cocoa butter. It is 100% pure cocoa butter, nothing else added. I really enjoy that quality. Since it is a solid stick form I can apply it without getting slathered up. It really softens my hands and I get best results when I use it about 3-4 times a day.

Another plus side is that it smells deliciously of chocolate. After all, cocoa butter is the vegetable fat that is squeezed from the cocoa bean.

Another plus - It only costs about $1. Look in your drugstore. Palmers makes a cocoa butter stick also but other things like mineral oil are added - and the scent is not 100% natural.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents! But I truly do find it fascinating to hear what many other ladies like to use.

By the way, thanks for sharing your comments! This is such a wonderful forum. I've never come across such a positive, supportive group of ladies online. Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

ginny
Chatty Knitter

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  8:10:02 PM  Show Profile Send ginny a Private Message
Sneewittchen,

We used to use Hershey's Cocoa Butter to put on our skin when we would lay out in the sun for a suntan. This was in the early 70's. It came in a little wrapper like a small Hershey bar, and it smelled just like chocolate. It was definitely an aroma therapy experience.

We used to use Johnson's Baby Oil, also because it was advertised in Seventeen Magazine. It smelled so nice, too!

All for now.

ginny

Go to Top of Page

newknittersusie
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  12:50:08 PM  Show Profile Send newknittersusie a Private Message
Cableready!!!
I believe you're talking about "Heavy Duty" handcream. I love that stuff, it really works. Plus, the smell is very pleasant. I think it's available online at one of the big cosmetic sites like beauty.com or sephora.com.
I also like Aveeno. That's the one I carry with me everywhere. Cetaphil cream is good too.
-Susie

Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  05:39:59 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message
Hi Susie,
Thanks sooooo much for the info..I couldn't remember that name for anything..I am going to the website now and order some..I love that stuff!! Thank you :)

Pamela :)

Go to Top of Page

conniec
Chatty Knitter

220 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  1:57:39 PM  Show Profile Send conniec a Private Message
hi -
i just wanted to add my 2 cents in! ;)

i recently bought some wonderful handcream from the L'Occitane boutique at the Stanford Shopping mall. It's made from shea butter and it feels great! It's a little pricey, however ($21 for a medium sized tube). My friends are all lawyers and doctors now (while I'm still slaving away at a Ph.D. in physics) so their tastes are a little out of my price range, but I couldn't resist this time!

-connie

Go to Top of Page

Little Turtle Mama
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  1:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Little Turtle Mama's Homepage Send Little Turtle Mama a Private Message
I used to have the worst dry, cracked and nasty-looking cuticles. But then I had a wonderful teacher in high school give me a recipe for a hand balm that was 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 shea butter, and 1/3 olive oil. Melt them together, and it's a super-gentle, super effective, fast absorbing balm for dry skin. You can make it yourself pretty chep, also if you order the beeswax and shea butter online. I sell variations of this balm on my site now, that I make in my very own kitchen. My favorite now is the healing balm, it's got tea tree and lavender in it, so it smells nice and keeps the germies away :)

Theresa

Don't Just Sit There, Knit Something!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by