Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Buying sticks to knit with.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  7:35:43 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
When I was taking my sock lesson today a young girl ( young teenage) came in and wanted some sticks to knit with. I just smiled and thought here is a new knitter. When she came up to pay, I was sitting close to cash register, I asked her what she was knitting, her answer a shawl for her mother. I thought that was nice and told her so. I just think that is so cool.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  05:38:08 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
I was knitting a sock a while back in the doctor's waiting room, and someone said "You look like you are knitting, but you can't be. You have too many sticks." I thought that was cute. DPNs do look like sticks, though.

How are your sock lessons going, Zola?
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  06:10:29 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
Zola,

I love your story about the "two sticks to knit with." Makes you feel like there's a future for knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Dagny
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  06:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dagny's Homepage Send Dagny a Private Message
Actually, a lot of other laces still call them sticks. I was (re)taught to knit by a very old Finnish lady who spoke very little English (she prefered to swear at you in Finnish) and she always called needles sticks.

Dagny in Maine

yarn blog
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  07:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
Interesting... I used to work with several Russian immigrants. One day I was knitting and one of guys also called them sticks. I wonder if that is the translation for some languages.

"SmellyCat, SmellyCat, what are they feeding you?"
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
i've had non-knitters call them sticks, but u have to admit, they DO look a bit more like sticks than needles if u ask me

- Katie

"Say what you mean, and mean what you say"

The next generation of knitters :-)
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
To me needle impies an opening to put thread through. My son calls them sticks sometimes.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:40:22 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
I think it's cute. It boils knitting down to its most basic explanation: sticks & string. Makes it seem a lot less intimidating when you're learning!

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?