Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting in Nature
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  06:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Many of us seek out the solitude of nature for spiritual rejuvenation and enjoyment of the world around us. Do you take your knitting with you and what sorts of places have worked for you? What didn't work out?

I knit a lot outdoors because I live and work in remote places and have outdoorsy work - a geologist. So I have knit sitting in trees, in caves, in underground mines, on cliffs (very good), looking down fjords, on tropical beaches, walking through string bogs (tricky - not recommended), overlooking glaciers, flying in helicopters to get to the start of the hike or traverse, in canoes, fishing boats, float planes,....

No real problems ever.
Arctic-mermaid

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  06:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
Hi Mermaid, Wow, I haven't been that adventurous! Last winter I went on a wonderful retreat just outside Paris, Ontario. There were about 40 women there, all either knitters or hookers. We knit in front of the huge fireplace. Unfortunately, it was too cold to knit outside. I would love to knit in nature, though. How wonderful that you take your knitting with you.

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  07:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Cool weather can be a challenge, but if you've been hiking ot get to a spot, then you are usually warm already. I've knit a bit while hiking, but only for very simple knitting.

I find the vistas and surroundings inspire my choices for designs I make. I take colours and textures from the land and try to use them in my fabrics.
Go to Top of Page

knittergrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  4:24:37 PM  Show Profile Send knittergrrl a Private Message
sounds inspiring! String bogs! what are those and can you find unique knitting textiles in them to try out? who knows...you might have found your niche! delta

2004 stats--FOs-18 (some scarves, 1st sweater, mittens, felted cell phone purse, afghan) WIP--1 ( another felt project)UFO-1
>>>Frodo failed. . .Bush has the Ring!
Go to Top of Page

tracie
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  5:05:08 PM  Show Profile Send tracie a Private Message
Wow...how exotic! I live in Florida and it's just too darned hot to knit outside right now. The humidity and bugs would be a real deterrent. I have, however, sat on my swing in the front of my house and knitted during the Spring. I absolutely love it. I live only about 15 minutes from the beach and I know some people who take their knitting there. I haven't tried that yet. Nature is definitely an inspiring source of energy and creativity. When it cools down here I'll try it again.
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  5:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
I sit on my deck/fire escape. It's very pleasant and fairly quiet, and there's lots to look at when I need to look up and give my eyes a break.
Nature as inspiration? I'm thinking a nice summer sunset color scheme for a summer hoodie, and I've been out collecting color ideas for socks. Black-eyed Susan socks, anyone?

"as if God had shrugged his shoulders (and) presently our civilization will once again belong to the misshapen, the moonstruck, and the damned" Woolcott Gibbs
Go to Top of Page

Misa
Warming Up

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  7:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Misa's Homepage Send Misa a Private Message
I learned how to knit while I was camping.

- Misa, Seattle
http://misaknits.blogspot.com - my knitting blog
http://misalady.livejournal.com - my main blog
Go to Top of Page

KD in FLA :)
Chatty Knitter

257 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  9:03:45 PM  Show Profile Send KD in FLA :) a Private Message
My knitting goes canoeing and camping with me.

Oh, and so does my hydrologist husband -- usually.

Kathleen

PS. Tracie, is that you? Thanks for the yarn info!

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  9:05:18 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I enjoy knitting outdoors or whilst camping, but most of the time I just like to sit outside with my eyes closed.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  11:52:39 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I'm really not good at knitting outside-- I did knit a bit on my in-laws' outdoor porch-- that was nice. Otherwise it's hot, and sticky here. I imagine I could knit socks outside (I believe I've done it a few times)... but typically if I'm outside I'm moving :)

m
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  03:35:16 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I like to knit on the deck and enjoy being outdoors though I don't do that as much as I'd like to. Last month dh and the kids and I vacationed in Novia Scotia, Canada. One of the most beautiful sights we saw was Peggy's Cove near Halifax. The granite rocks surrounding the lighthouse overlooking the water were beautiful beyond description. I said to dh "I wish I could sit here for hours and knit!" That would have been quite an experience. Sue

~Knitting is a gift you give to yourself~
Go to Top of Page

tracie
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  04:59:02 AM  Show Profile Send tracie a Private Message
Yeah, Kathleen..it's me. You're welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Sue Woo
Permanent Resident

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  05:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Woo's Homepage Send Sue Woo a Private Message
Hey yall,

I sit outside and knit when it's not too hot (or some stupid Hurricane is flooding my yard!). I sit out in the garden and knit too, but that can be tricky-if I see a weed I just have to pull then my hands get dirty, then I have to go in and wash. Knitting and gardening as equal passions can be tricky, lol!

I recently went to Italy, bought WAY too much yarn in Florence, then sat on the balcony of the home we rented outside of Sorrento and swatched while viewing Mt Vesuvius! It was fabulous, I tell you!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Oh Sue, what a great view you must've had. I recently finished reading a book about the eruption that buried Pompeii. What a lovely area.
I like Sallyjo's idea of a summer sunset colours hoodie. Wow.
I guess knitting in the heat would be a problem with big projects out fo wool. Yup. I can see that. But where I live too much heat is seldom a problem. I would work on a linen lacy shawl then, if it was too hot for something wooly. Surely there would be shade somewhere?
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

Sue Woo
Permanent Resident

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  5:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Woo's Homepage Send Sue Woo a Private Message
Oh yeah, plenty of shade but it's still hot, hot, hot. I knit wooly stuff-in the AC! And light lacies outdoors. It's fun.

We went to Pompeii while in Italia. It is unbelievable. You must go. As adventurous as you are i think you would love it!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

lykzz
New Pal

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  8:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit lykzz's Homepage  Send lykzz a Yahoo! Message Send lykzz a Private Message
my bf plays on 3 of 4 baseball teams, so while he's doing that, i knit and watch him from the stands.

i likes, i lykzz alot.
http://www.gnk.ca/main.htm
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  04:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I think th ebook was called Pompeii. It's at the cottage so I can't double check, but it is currently in the stores. It would be fun to try to find the places described in the book, around Vesuvius.

Wind can be another problem while knitting outside. Patterns need to be clipped to a book or somethng immovable (like me). And red fabric can really attract those hummingbirds, up close and personal.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

On sunny days ( usually over weekends),I like to sit in the back garden and knit.I am actually home this week; my temp assignment finished last Friday,and I 'll be starting another next week.We are having such cold,windy weather that it's been too unpleasant to sit outside at all,and today it's raining,as well.I bought some fabric last weekend, and plan to do some sewing today,but later I 'll probably sit and knit.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  4:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Hi Leslie; What are you planning to sew? I have the materials to make rain pants and winds pants with (all the better to head outdoors with!) but keep getting sidetracked with my knitting instead.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I love to sit on my deck in my swing and knit. We have a water garden with fountain and I can listen to the water flow and the birds sing while knitting. I have also taken my knitting to the beach and while fishing with my husband on the rocks or in the boat. It goes camping with us, too. There's nothing better than daylight for seeing stitches!

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  5:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
Linda, I'm coming to your house. The deck swing and water fountain sound great.

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by