Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting in Nature
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  07:47:19 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
I knit on airplanes and in airports, i'm a flight attendant- and have knit most all over this country and have met the most interesting and wonderful people. I often laugh when people stare at my knitting, and to challenge them to actually speak to me I start to knit backwards instead of purling- gets them everytime! I once was sent up to the front of the airplane by a fellow flight attendant who said I must see what this passenger was knitting. I asked what she was doing that I must see- go look was the answer- you'll never see anything like it. So up front I went. This woman was making the most intricate Aran knit I had ever seen - and she happened to be the lady I had given a special saftey briefing to- you see, she was totally blind. Not legally blind, totally sightless and was born that way she told me. She could feel the stitches and memorized the pattern and there wasn't a flaw anywhere! So if you knit on my airplane, I'll be stopping at your seat.
PJ

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

julie.anne
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  08:07:49 AM  Show Profile Send julie.anne a Private Message
I used to work for Outward Bound in North Carolina. One of the principles of OB is that after an initial period of instruction and practice, it's important to let students make their own mistakes and learn from them. So when my crew would stop for "a five minute rest" "to look at the map" I had learned that this usually turned into half an hour of lollygagging and fooling around - which often resulted in getting into camp very late, cooking in the dark, etc. To emphasize that this was THEIR problem and I wasn't going to shepherd them along I would PULL OUT MY KNITTING when it became clear they were settling in for a long rest. This invariably made them mad which made them get up and get on with it.

hee hee hee. i also had one all-boy crew who became fond of the phrase "take off your skirt" to chastise any boy who was not sufficiently tough in their eyes. the next chance I got, i got the pinkest skirtiest skirt I could find and wore it for the rest of the course. when they were lollygagging or whining (as above) I would say "put on your skirts, boys!" It cured them pretty fast.
Go to Top of Page

Ari-Elle
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  08:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ari-Elle's Homepage Send Ari-Elle a Private Message
As a matter of fact, I'm currently "knitting in nature"! We are at Lake Tahoe which is just gorgeous. I've discovered that I love sitting outside with my knitting bag and just knitting. I can knit up a huge section before I even realize it. Nature must just inspire me, lol!

Cheers,
ari-elle
Go to Top of Page

gisela
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  08:47:53 AM  Show Profile Send gisela a Private Message
Hi

I have a wonderful screened-in porch by a fountain, and I love sitting on the chaise and knitting the day away. I listen to all of the birds and watch the hilarious antics of the squirrels. They all come to my yard to feed. It is a very peaceful sanctuary and it just goes with knitting.

Gisela
Go to Top of Page

Arcenciel
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  10:43:37 AM  Show Profile Send Arcenciel a Private Message
I take my knitting everywhere with me, in fact it is sitting beside my desk right now, so I can work on it at lunch.

I knit quite often sitting on our swing in the back yard, but my favorite place outside to knit was at my local folk music festival this year. The festival takes place on a ski hill in my city, so the 7 different runs are 7 different stages.

It is a great atmosphere. I just grabbed my lounge lizard, picked a good spot on one of the hills and knit while listening to some absolutely amazing music, made by incredibly talented people. People would often stop to ask me what I was making (a cute little toque for a friend's sister) and to see if kntting was that hard. I'm already planning my project for next year's festival. I'm thinking of maybe fingerless gloves since this year got a little chilly in the evening.
Go to Top of Page

rjbinder@nutnbut.net

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  12:10:31 PM  Show Profile Send rjbinder@nutnbut.net a Private Message
I usually take my knitting wherever I go- to the kid's baseball games, meetings ( I sit in the back so as not to offend the speaker - they tend to think I'm not paying attention - honestly - I can do 2 things at once!!), and when we go somewhere, I make dh drive so I can knit. Have yet to figure out how to (safely) knit while I'm driving - saves a lot of time!!! Janbin
Go to Top of Page

Bluerock
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  12:12:59 PM  Show Profile Send Bluerock a Private Message
I so love to sit in the yard, listen to the birds twittering while I knit and listen to the baseball game. It's a triple zone out.

Shaeferyarnlvr
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
I've knit alot out on our breezy deck at the beach, but the moment it gets sticky, I put the WIP away until evening.

-- Mean Mama
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  2:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Make room for me too!
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

pam54ormore
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  4:51:56 PM  Show Profile Send pam54ormore a Private Message
Hi, I knit on the deck surrounded by woods and my gardens. I also knit at the beach and around the campfire while camping until I can't see anymore. I wish I could knit and work at the same time. I might get everything done on my wish list that way.
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  5:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I'm heading to my cottage where I will knit almost constantly, on my dock, my deck, in the canoe, wherever! Cheers,
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

mummadude1@hotmail.com
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  6:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Send mummadude1@hotmail.com a Yahoo! Message Send mummadude1@hotmail.com a Private Message
I love knitting: outdoors, indoors, in the car etc. Much of the time here in the summer there are way too many mosquitos to really enjoy outdoors knitting however, with the heavy forest fire smoke in the area and the very dry conditions we've lost at least 3 or 4 generations of the silly pests so outdoor conditions are good..if you can stand the smoke. lol I have often knit while sitting by the campfire and definitely at the beach but cannot imagine knitting in a canoe. Way too tippy for me lol. The row boat would work but not the canoe. The rivers here are also too fast to be that relaxed. Well, either in or out knitting fills the soul with each stitch...
Enjoy!
Doll in Interior Alaska...where we're told the fires will burn til snow comes....mid October!

Doll
Go to Top of Page

NeedleNedRyerson

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  10:13:11 PM  Show Profile Send NeedleNedRyerson a Private Message
My favorite place to knit is on the deck of my families beach house, beach haven. The cool sea breeze is gentle coming over the dune and when I look up occasionally I can see the blue pacific beyond! Plus I love hearing all the little birdies - pure bliss! Check out the site nad you'll see what I mean!!! http://www.beachhaven.net.au
Go to Top of Page

Sue Woo
Permanent Resident

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  06:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Woo's Homepage Send Sue Woo a Private Message
That beach house is awesome. It's so hot outside right now that I have to be a slug and knit on the couch. We have skeeters to but I bet they are not as big as those in Alaska! Yall have a good weekend!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

ttutlewski@wi.rr.com

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  08:39:42 AM  Show Profile Send ttutlewski@wi.rr.com a Private Message
Every year my extended family (~100 of us) meet in South Haven, Michigan, for a camping reunion. This year I brought a scarf I was working on. At our early-morning coffee klatch or late-night campfire, I worked on it, finishing it before it was time to come home. It was a nice way to keep busy and a conversation starter for family I rarely see.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

abbeyknitche
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  3:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit abbeyknitche's Homepage Send abbeyknitche a Private Message
I am so jealous!! I would love to knit in nature, and I would, if I didn't live in the processed burbs outside of a big city! I'm from upstate NY, and really miss spending time at lakes, and seeing mountains and woods all around. :(

Abbey
http://knitche.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jreiz
New Pal

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  11:17:56 PM  Show Profile Send jreiz a Private Message
Arcenciel: Folk Fest, right? Good on you girl! Get in touch - there's a knitting guild in the city, we meet 1st and 3rd (and 5th) Thursdays of the months, go on "road-trips" (3rd Saturdays), and generally knit, eat, and natter - as to my own knitting outdoors - well, lunch on campus can be nice, too, and gets some attention!
Go to Top of Page

jch2299@cox-internet.com

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  04:34:42 AM  Show Profile Send jch2299@cox-internet.com a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mermaid Knits

Many of us seek out the solitude of nature for spiritual rejuvenation and enjoyment of the world around us. Do you take your knitting with you and what sorts of places have worked for you? What didn't work out?

I knit a lot outdoors because I live and work in remote places and have outdoorsy work - a geologist. So I have knit sitting in trees, in caves, in underground mines, on cliffs (very good), looking down fjords, on tropical beaches, walking through string bogs (tricky - not recommended), overlooking glaciers, flying in helicopters to get to the start of the hike or traverse, in canoes, fishing boats, float planes,....

No real problems ever.
Arctic-mermaid

Go to Top of Page

jch2299@cox-internet.com

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  04:40:15 AM  Show Profile Send jch2299@cox-internet.com a Private Message
I work a high pressure, time-consuming job and knitting is my relief. My husband and I take as many short trips as we can where we sit and talk, read and I knit. We find lakes and streams and solitude to get reacquainted, (no phones, no staff calling, no fax etc.). I put my needles down long enough to cook a couple of meals a day over an open fire. We just returned from a week in the Smokies sitting next to a rushing stream and finishing several projects. We have done this all over the US and find it a great way to reconnect and renew both ourselves and our 32 year marriage.

quote:
Originally posted by Mermaid Knits

Many of us seek out the solitude of nature for spiritual rejuvenation and enjoyment of the world around us. Do you take your knitting with you and what sorts of places have worked for you? What didn't work out?

I knit a lot outdoors because I live and work in remote places and have outdoorsy work - a geologist. So I have knit sitting in trees, in caves, in underground mines, on cliffs (very good), looking down fjords, on tropical beaches, walking through string bogs (tricky - not recommended), overlooking glaciers, flying in helicopters to get to the start of the hike or traverse, in canoes, fishing boats, float planes,....

No real problems ever.
Arctic-mermaid

Go to Top of Page

Sparki
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  1:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Sparki a Yahoo! Message Send Sparki a Private Message
Thanks for sharing your outdoor inspirations. My knitting goes along everywhere -- to a mountaintop, a trout stream, in the shade of a lighthouse (most recently along Lake Michigan). It was so nice here this weekend that the deck was perfect. Mama Cardinal hopped into the birdbath while I was working, and the dog tried to chase the bunny (but not to worry, he never wins). It was cool enough as evening came along that it felt good to be working on Lopi (a poncho) and earlier in the day some sport weight. Pretty unusual for Iowa when we would normally be having the "dog" days (high 80s and into the 90s and dry and windy). We're happy with this for awhile, although with the schools starting, there usually is some really hot weather and even a day or two of fog delays.

Happy knitting!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.