Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting in Nature
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

mkeson
Chatty Knitter

123 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  08:07:59 AM  Show Profile Send mkeson a Private Message
I've been reading this board for awhile, but this is my first post. I've enjoyed this thread about knitting in nature. I always enjoy taking my knitting on family fishing trips, on the boat or by the stream. We are also having unseasonably mild weather, and I like knitting on the porch, especially during a gentle rain, listening to the rain on the metal roof.
Go to Top of Page

mlya@bellsouth.net

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  08:19:21 AM  Show Profile Send mlya@bellsouth.net a Private Message
When my Dad was 83 and I was 46 we decided to build a gazebo together. We placed it in the edge of a wooded area with a view of the lake on our 6 acre property. I dug and poured the cement footings and with Dad's supervision cut the angles, nailed it together and laid the shingles. That is my favorite place to knit.
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  5:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Hi mlya; I used to have a screened building that I called my Summer Palace. For sure I had it set up very comfortably for knitting. But we moved and I had to sell it. Now when I am at the lake I knit on the dock, since we are lucky to not really have too many bugs.
Hi predator2001; love your image of rain hitting the metal roof. In three more sleeps I will get to experience that too, when I get to my cottage and see the new building there. Metal roof and for the next year or two it won't be insulated, and so I look forward to the rain music.
Thanks you guys. I'm stuck in a big hot muggy city right now and miss my outdoors. This helps.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

Kiwigirl
New Pal

New Zealand
18 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  01:45:05 AM  Show Profile Send Kiwigirl a Private Message
Lets face it, when you have the urge to knit you'll do it anywhere and everywhere you possible can. Indoors, outdoors, in the car, in the doctors waiting room, anywhere. And if you forget your knitting you don't know what to do with your hands!

Debra (Kiwigirl)
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  10:18:02 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
My knitting is the first thing that gets packed for camping, hiking, etc. I can sit for hours listening to nature and creating something that will evoke memories of a particular trip.

My deck is my favorite Sunday afternoon knitting spot. We have had a cooler than usual summer and have been able to spend much more time out there.

Last week we had a meeting at church and the district superintendent and his wife attended. Mrs. DS was sitting to the side of the church knitting a dishcloth so I joined her. I was working on a second sock (trailing vine pattern) and pulled out the first one to show her how it looked. She immediately took it to show her husband. She said he usually says "You can make that" but this time he said "Maybe you can get her to teach you how to do that". She prefers to crochet, but takes dishcloths to work on when they travel to the different churches in the district. It was a nice way to get to meet someone I probably wouldn't have said more than hello to otherwise. I think we had a better time than anyone else attending the meeting.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  1:19:57 PM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
I have enjoyed reading this post. I have such a fetish about getting my yarn dirty that I am very particular where I knit. I will knit at the beach or on a bench outside as long as my yarn remains in a bag and the knitting stays on my lap. I would never knit during work hours as I know I would introduce unwanted dirt. Some of the knitters replying to this topic seem more coordinated than me and are able to knit even while walking. I would be too afraid of falling and oops there goes my knitting in the mud.

I got a fishing creel once and thought that it would be the perfect yarn holder in aquatic situations. The hole where you normally stuff fish through serves as an opening for a strand of yarn to be pulled from a ball inside the creel. But, the yarn kept getting caught on the wicker basket edges. In the end I abandoned the idea.

Inevitabely little bugs get caught in the yarn and that well aimed blue jay contributes unwanted textural effects to the knitted fabric. I guess I look to nature more for inspiration than as a place to knit in.
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  6:57:26 PM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
che, try lining the creel with plastic, or even just putting your stuff in a ziplock in the creel. it would be much more attractive to look at, at any pace, lol. i love knitting outside, but right now, my swing is in my SO's back yard waiting to be brought over, and i don't have any chairs on my screened in front porch, and none available :(. next year, i promised myself we will have it all set up, and i'll be swinging!
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
Go to Top of Page

ikamouse
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  10:21:02 AM  Show Profile Send ikamouse a Private Message
I actually learned to knit on the screened porch of a cabin in the Poconos shortly before the first anniversary of 9/11/01. I think all of us were grateful for the chance to get out of NYC to refresh, especially at that particular time. On the first morning, we were hanging out on the porch drinking coffee and enjoying the fresh air, and two of the people - whom I did not know at the time - whipped out projects. I very shyly (because it looked terribly complicated to me and I was afraid it would take too long) asked if they could maybe try to teach us. The response was immediate; within a minute I had needles and a ball of mercerized cotton in my hand and was being shown how to cast on. The weekend generally was lovely, of course. We walked in the woods, kayaked on the lake, and all that - but what I remember most was how incredibly peaceful it felt to just sit on the lounger on the porch in the woods every morning and evening, knitting away, completely quiet - except, of course, when I had to ask one of the others what to do about an accidental yarnover or how to tell whether I was on a knit row or a purl row, or to get someone to rescue a dropped stitch. I still like to take my knitting out to the park near where I live. I still don't think there's anything as relaxing as knitting outdoors, or indoors ut almost outdoors.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  10:33:31 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Out in nature is one of my favorite places to knit and/or crochet. I like:
By a waterfall
By a stream (or lake or pond)
On the patio or deck overlooking our garden
Sitting in a park

I like being in full or partial shade (not in direct sun) while I knit.

BTW, I went to Pompeii as a kid. It was incredible.

Wendy

Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises - - - Elizabeth Zimmermann
Go to Top of Page

Roberta

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  6:01:33 PM  Show Profile Send Roberta a Private Message
I love knitting outside. I often knit while sitting in my porch swing, or in my backyard. I also knit on camping trips and at the beach or anywhere I find myself in a pretty and peaceful place. At first I was worried about getting the yarn dirty and would only take felting projects to the beach...etc. I figured its gonna be washed anyway. Now I have gotten more brave and take other knitting out and about too. I am currently knitting a Kimono/sweater with some lovely white banboo yarn. It stays home, bur anything else is fair game.
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  06:25:03 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
I usually take my knitting with me wherever I go. OK I know that I carry it around far more places than I will get to knit but you never know when you would otherwise wish it there.

During the summer I often take the children up the road to a peninsula called Islandmagee, that in its self is like stepping back 50 years. Small communities, village shops and tiny schools. We go to a beach and harbour called Portmuck. The secret of the harbour is that it faces south so gets the sun and it also faces and encloses the beach. I can sun myself, knit, keep the work clean, watch the young ones on the sand and watch my older daughter jumping off the harbour wall. All relatively safe and self-contained.

In the evenings we can barbacue and look at the sunset over the glens of Antrim. As the night draws in we all don the jumpers that I have made for such outdoor occassions.

At the moment however it is autumn and knitting by the fire is becoming a reality again
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  2:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
That is one huge perk of living in San Diego. You can knit outside all year without being too hot or too cold! I have an elevated little circle patio in the corner of our yard with a big comfy lounge chair and a side table.. sit down with some knitting and some iced tea... ahh perfect.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.
Go to Top of Page

Shelob
Chatty Knitter

187 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  11:30:32 PM  Show Profile Send Shelob a Private Message
I was Knitting in Nature today -- waiting for the four dogs to get done in the backyard, enjoying the breezes, the green smell of the trees (idealic sigh).

Then on the way in, I dropped my ball of yarn into the kiddie wading pool that we have for the dogs and that my SO put goldfish in a week ago as a lark. Out of 10 fish, three remain, and two of the three were floating belly up (frustrated sigh). I'm still waiting for the yarn to dry after soaking the fishy-dog-pool water out of it.

I'll undoubtedly take my knitting out with me again tomorrow, but . . . . these are the times I gotta wonder what I was thinking. At least I got to the ball before the husky puppy! She was interested in "fishing" it out for me!

~Shelob
"'Tis to create and in creating live
A being more intense that we endow
With form our fancy, gaining as we give
The life we image, even as I do now."

--Byron
Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, Canto III
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  4:33:05 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
WOW Mermaid Knits!

My life is boring, I have just decided my life is totally boring compared to yours! How wonderful to have the opportunity for so many adventures. I have only knit on my back patio, otherwise it has always been indoors or in the car (as a passenger, of course!) Hmmm, I feel the fall weather moving in so maybe I'll dig out my hiking boots and go on a mini adventure Saturday to spice up my life.

Oh....I just remembered, long ago, when we felt the world was safe, I used to knit in airplanes!

Vanessa

Treat children with respect to teach them respect.
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  8:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
I love to sit outside my local coffee shop and knit while I people watch. It's a fairly busy stretch of road in KC, and it's great to just enjoy the activity while I have my activity.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

ttbookjunkie@yahoo.com

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  2:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ttbookjunkie@yahoo.com's Homepage Send ttbookjunkie@yahoo.com a Private Message
We are staying on the Puget Sound in WA this two weeks and I have been taking my chair and my knitting to the rocky beach and knit. I cannot wait to finish my villa poncho so I can have something pretty and warm to wear while outside. Next week we will be heading to Leavenworth WA and will be staying in a preserve in the mountains, cannnot wait to find myself a nice rock to knit on.

Amanda
http://ttbookjunkie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  4:25:15 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi Cameellie!

Where is this shop in Kansas City? I'm in KC quite a bit. I grew up there as a young girl and some of my family is still up there in Kansas City, Kansas and Blue Springs, Missouri. I love coffe shops, antique shops and knitting stores and bead stores, etc, etc. etc!

Vanessa

Treat children with respect to teach them respect.
Go to Top of Page

steff13
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  5:57:12 PM  Show Profile Send steff13 a Private Message
I have taken my knitting to the park. My boys (ages 5 & 3) play, and I sit on a bench and knit. It's very tranquil.
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  4:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Tomorrow I head to a park overlooking a large river and you can see two waterfalls at the same time. It's going to be just above zero, so mostly I will be active and moving, but the sit down breaks will invite a bit of knitting. The colours of the heather and moss in the fall are spectacular and match nicely with the scarf I'll take along to work on.

Enjoy your outdoor knitting while the weather permits!
Arctic-mermaid

Go to Top of Page

Sue Woo
Permanent Resident

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  04:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Woo's Homepage Send Sue Woo a Private Message
Mermaid
Great thread. As yall may know, those of us on the Southeastern US coast will opt for indoor knitting today-AGAIN!! At this point I'm so desensitized to doppler radar that seeing those bright colors makes me yawn. I'll just knit through Jeanne like I did all the others. It's so nice knowing all of you are out there!

Sue
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.