Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Morehouse Farm
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cheffie
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2002 :  3:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cheffie's Homepage Send Cheffie a Private Message
Hi, All,

It was great to see a Morehouse Farm yarn profiled in the newsletter. I used to live in Dutchess County, NY, where Morehouse Farm is located, and I have only the fondest memories of the place and the Pichlers, who run it. I used to go there for shearing days with my little ones, as well as for other purposes. I first met Margrit (herself an extremely talented knitter) and Albrecht when a friend of mine did a custom printing job for them, reproducing old woodcuts and photos of Merino sheep. They entertained us, as did their dogs, cats, chickens, birds, and extremely friendly turkeys who ran through their 18th century farmhouse. I left with very warm feelings for them, and a growing envy for their way of life, which was about as far from the big city they had left as you can get. I still aspire to the Morehouse Farm way of life! They have made a wonderful success of their great experiment, and I wish them only the best. Their products are made with the finest craftsmanship, and al the sincerity in the world.

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  7:33:58 PM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message
I have been at their wonderful store in Milan, New York. It's almost overwhelming with colors and texture that's the entire range of beautiful. Only thing I thought slightly negative (for me only, because I am allergic to grass) is that the yarn is so pure, so uncombed and cleaned that there is a large amount of grass and other fibers in the wool. For that reason alone, I shopped carefully and got a black hank that I could try out. My daughter who is not allergic bought a snake kit (she's 10 and likes snakes).
The wool is so soft, so luxurious, buy some--even sight unseen and through the mail and only by phone---none of that matters. It's beautiful yarn.

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  05:30:40 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Time for a road trip. I live in Orange County, NY neighboring county to Dutchess. I will have to get directions to Morehouse Farms. Thanks,
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2363 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  06:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I have used Morehouse yarns off and on for the last 10 years, and I love the yarns and the company itself. The lace yarn was the latest that I bought, and I made a large shawl earlier this year, which I love. It is extremely soft and great for cool nights in warm weather. I'm sure that it will have lots of use during the cooler weather this fall and winter as well.

I will echo what others have said about using this and other Morehouse yarns. There are a lot of stray straw and grass fragments, I just take them out as I knit. This was easier when using the lace weight due to the thinner yarn. All of the Morehouse yarns are more lightly spun than more commercial yarns, if I'm explaining it in a way that's understandable. They are very easy to pull apart, but are strong when knitted up. The lace yarn was also a challenge to ball and use, as the fibers like to catch on one another, so the balls had to be wound very loosely in order to use a center pull ball.

I really like this company and these yarns, and the colors are wonderful. Also, the cost is very reasonable for specialty yarns, I think. I've not done any dying yet, but I'm tempted to use the natural Morehouse yarns when I take the plunge, as I think that they would make great handpainted garments.

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

caitlin
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  11:11:48 PM  Show Profile Send caitlin a Private Message
I have just gotten into knitting witheir yarn.

Any thoughts about which stitch works better.

I feind that certain stitches look better than others on this yarn.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2002 :  7:09:48 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I was wondering what the best way would be to order from Morehouse Merino? I think, if I remember correctly that the online store isn't up and functioning, so I'm assuming it would be by phone. Perhaps those of you who have ordered could let me know the phone number and just what your favorite merino is from them?

Thanks in advance, Patience
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?