Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 American Girl doll blanket
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  07:03:24 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
My niece would like a blanket to go with the American Girl doll she is getting for her birthday. I'm not a doll person myself. Anybody familiar with this doll? I'm wondering what the dimensions should be for the blanket? Color suggestions?

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  08:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
There are two types of American Girl dolls (aunt to 6 pre-teen girls here), one is an 18-inch tall girl doll, and the other is a baby doll that looks a lot like a real baby and is about 10-12 inches long. Before you decide on dimensions for the blanket you should find out which one she is getting. The idea of a baby blanket works better mentally for the "Bitsy Baby" type, but you just never know with girls and dolls. I made 4 American Girl doll (18 inch size) sweaters last year as lookalikes for 4 sweaters for real girls, and they were a very appreciated Christmas gift. These dolls come with lots of accessories, and there are beds available for purchase for both sizes.

Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  11:11:21 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Great info! For one of the taller dolls, I would be better off making clothes than a baby blanket. I'll ask my sister. Are there sweater patterns out there specifically with AG dolls in mind?
Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  7:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
Start here....

http://knitting.about.com/library/bldollsagfree.htm

and here

http://www.woolworks.org/dollpatt.html

quote:

Great info! For one of the taller dolls, I would be better off making clothes than a baby blanket. I'll ask my sister. Are there sweater patterns out there specifically with AG dolls in mind?

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2002 :  7:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I made a postage stamp quilt for our 18 inch dolly, a few years ago. It is very nice and a lot of the pieces are the fabric in dd's quilt. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  05:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
I machine knit a blanket for our AG doll's bed - she's the 18" doll. I knit an neat lace border, and duplicate stitched the dolls initials, monogram style, near the top, center of the blanket. My daughter loves it - its also what the doll "cuddles" under while they both watch the telly.

I've also made socks, a skirt, and a sweater. There's a great dress pattern out there (I'll have to get back to you on where - possibly I found it through About.com) that I'm planning to make for Christmas this year - as well as a sweater for my daughter from the same yarn.

--
Jenanne
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by