Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Finishing Questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seejenknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  06:43:08 AM  Show Profile Send seejenknit a Private Message
I have a couple of questions. I am almost done (YEAH!) my Debbie Bliss garter squares blanket (48 squares down, 8 to go).

I have never taken a class -- taught myself from books & online resources. There are a couple of things that I can't find.

1. When you tie two skeins together what kind of knot do you use? Do you double knot them? Then what do you do with the strings? (Cut close to the knot, but not too close, or leave longer to weave in?)
2. When the skein you are working on has a knot in it (connecting to additional yarn) is that sufficiently strong? On a double sided project, how do you hide/camouflage this?
3. Do you make a knot by the cast on and/or bind off? (I am using a lot of yarn from the bind off to sew squares together)
4. My pattern says to weave in ends, and shows how, however I'm concerned with 56 squares X 2 ends = 112 loose ends, there will be quite a bit of loose ends visible. Any tips? My other concern is that by weaving in the ends if you stretch the fabric, will the ends come out? Do you knot the ends?

Since I am still fairly new to knitting, I just have some mild concerns about my lovely blanket falling apart. I made a sweater, which turned out great, but it was really easy to hide the knots/loose strings.

Sorry for so many questions, but I would really, REALLY appreciate any tips!

FO: sweater (Debbie Bliss boat neck), scarf (w/ Classic Elite Commotion), tons of dish cloths
UFOs: baby blanket (DB garter squares), 2 scarves, purse

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  06:47:21 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
I was taught that knots anywhere are a bad thing...they WILL slide apart. Unfortunately, that means lots and lots of weaving in. If you leave enough "tail" to work in, the weaving-in will not slide out...and really shouldn't show when you're done. Congratulations on finishing!

Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  07:21:56 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I use knots in cotton - otherwise no matter what, the ends seem to come out. But I wash and dry cotton. Most other yarns, I do not knot. But I am doing a sweater for my daughter I intend to put in the washer and dryer, and I am going to knot that. But your squares won't have joins in the middle of the square, just the ends, so weaving in should be just fine. Make sure to go back and forth, to avoid it coming apart. There are some good books on finishing - Nancy Weisman's Finishing Techniques (someone correct me if that is not the correct title/spelling) is one of my favs.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

seejenknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  11:47:01 AM  Show Profile Send seejenknit a Private Message
Thanks for all of the help so far. I will look into that book.

So if you have the "no knots" rule, what do you when the ball of yarn has two joining pieces knotted together? I had this situation in almost every ball of DB Cashmerino Aran that I used. Cut out the knot?

And what do you call "long enough to weave in" (for the cast on). These are little like 3" squares, is 3" sufficient?

The pattern gave directions to weave the ends up the side and through the middle, but I thought that sounded messy. It gave a vague one sentence "Once you've finished the squares, weave them together as shown." or something like that.

I was thinking to sew everything together with my bind off tails, and then to weave the cast ons in at the end. I'm just nervous that if the ends aren't knotted, the blanket will come apart in time. (The blanket is meant for a child to be a blankie.)

FO: sweater (Debbie Bliss boat neck), scarf (w/ Classic Elite Commotion), tons of dish cloths
UFOs: baby blanket (DB garter squares), 2 scarves, purse
Go to Top of Page

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  9:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
I never knot my yarn...the knots seem to either show through or come to the front. For the blanket your idea of leaving a long enough end at the beginning and at the end and then using it to sew together your squares is very good. A long enough end usually means enough yarn to thread a needle through so you can sew with it. I then after sewing the piece together I follow the knitting row with my yarm (like a snakes path following the path of the row) and cut it close to the afghan...1/4" tuft left. If you ever tried taking a sewn up seam apart you know that it doesn't come apart very easily and same with your blanket. For realy security your can "back track" with your yarn for a few stitches...like a Chinese finger pull..that does not come out! Good luck.

www.knittingtime.com
Go to Top of Page

seejenknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  06:05:15 AM  Show Profile Send seejenknit a Private Message
Thank you so much -- that was so helpful!

Wish me luck this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  06:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
Let me address the knots you find in balled yarn first....always pull out enough before starting a row so that you will see ahead of time that there is going to be a problem. Ideally, you should go back to the knot, cut off what's before it, and start the row from that point, leaving the tail at the start of the row to weave in later.
I don't knot at the beginning of a row, especially if the edge is going to be sewn into a seam, but instead I do a stitch or two with the two yarns and then weave in the ends later.
Splicing is another option if you have the right kind of yarn. It works great for fluffy, homespun type yarns....there are directions in the book "Knitting in the Old Way" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. There are also directions floating around the internet for something called the Russian Join that might be the way to go with something like a blanket that is not going to have a wrong side.
Obviously, if you are knitting in the round you don't have an edge to do your joins, so there, to avoid knots, either "weave" the new yarn in behind the old one for six or so stitches (any book on 2-color knitting can show you how to do this) or splice or do the Russian Join.
I really avoid knots, period. They will invariably pop through to the right side eventually. Try to start new yarn (and consider a knot found inside a ball as the beginning of a new ball) at the beginning of a row, always. Your work will be much neater.
Go to Top of Page

seejenknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  07:09:18 AM  Show Profile Send seejenknit a Private Message
Thank you so much for your help. I have two knots in the squares, but they are both within the last two rows of the squares. I think that I will unravel (frog?) the last two rows of each of these and do it right.

I will look into the Russian Join. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

seejenknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  07:24:14 AM  Show Profile Send seejenknit a Private Message
Wow -- there is so much on the Russian Join online, and I think it will be perfect. I am so excited to try it now. Thank you, thank you...
Go to Top of Page

seejenknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  09:12:08 AM  Show Profile Send seejenknit a Private Message
Just wanted to thank all for your help.

I looked up the Russian Join, and it worked perfect on my squares -- and now I have no knots to worry about!

I got done a couple of rows (not as much free time as I'd hoped), but my blanket is looking GREAT. I just love seeing it come together! I can't wait to get home tonight to work on it some more!

Jen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?