Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Insert CD Here
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  08:06:01 AM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
Alright, so we have our share of knitters who READ while knitting (amazingly talented I must admit!), there are those who love to watch television with their SO's and children, there are those who knit in public with the sounds of public transportation and busy life all around them...and then there are those who prefer to knit while listening to music.

What are your soundtrack preferences? Any specific type of music or your knitting moods? Any favorite bands that compliment their music well to the knitting?

I am an avid music lover, but I find that alot of indie rock/alternative music is perfect for listening to while knitting. I don't like alot of angst in my music, but there are quite alot of bands who sing beautiful love ballads, and wise songs about life. I put a couple CD's into my CD changer and I'm off in a knitting dreamland for a good hour or two :) It is trance enducing, and very relaxing.

So dish, what are you faves:)
-Jenn

[Jenn - moonglitter@moonglitter.net]

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  09:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Celtic, Renaissance (both Renfaire and real Renaissance) and classical, especially Segovia on guitar and anything by Rafe Von Williams. Gee, I could go on and on....

crihs (it's an anagram)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Mikki67
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  6:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mikki67's Homepage Send Mikki67 a Private Message
Well, yesterday it was the Nylons, today it's the soundtrack to the Matrix. Tomorrow, will have to wait until I get there. Maybe audio thorazine (spa music). I finally can knit again, in short spurts. Happiness. My music selections change with the day, from classical to celtic, to alternative, to rock, to Broadway.

Mikki
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  7:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
The Eagles, Jimmy Buffett and Bruce Springsteen are my favorites of the moment. Ask me next week and it might be something entirely different!

Blowin' in the wind...

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  06:52:58 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Right now it's Alison Krauss and Union Station along with anything by Enya. Sade's greatest hits is always ready to be played. I'll listen to just about anything from classical to classic rock, older country, pop to alternative rock. A steady favorite is R&B and soul. I just bought Earth, Wind & Fire's greatest hits from Half.com...a great place to get cheap CD's by the way. Have a nice day.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  08:00:25 AM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
I grew up knitting to Buddy Holly, the Beatles, and later the Indigo Girls, and I knit my first sweater ever in 3 minute increments because my mom had just started collecting 45 records and we had to change the record after ever song! Now I listen to lots of different kinds of music-- I've been known to dance around in my apartment to hip hop while I was still knitting a sock! Watch me get down wid my bad (knitting) self!

hee hee...

Katie

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  08:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
It's nice to see that there are other people whose favorite music changes daily. I thought I was the only one. I really love big band and swing music both original and recent. I adore Glen Miller and classic Sinatra.

I have found that, thanks to our weekly knitting group, I can knit to anything from Jane's Addiction and Guns & Roses to Dolly Parton and Wayne Newton.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pritty
Chatty Knitter

217 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  09:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit pritty's Homepage Send pritty a Private Message
When I'm not subjected to listening to the soundtrack to Mulan for the umpteenth time, I'll listen to some broadway show tunes (if I'm alone to sing out loud!) or something moody like Diana Krall.

Kathy, knitting Mama to Madeline
Go to Top of Page

tighniamh
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  09:00:12 AM  Show Profile Send tighniamh a Private Message
I have to give my plug for half.com as a great source of inexpensive cds as I've been selling cds and books there for about six months. This is a totally self serving post, as I was just told that Thursday is my last day here at work so I will be stepping up my online selling in the next few weeks. Coming soon to ebay: knitting, craftbooks, jewellery, books, music and Christmas Stuff. Look for me under tighniamh!
thanks for letting me vent
Niamh

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  2:19:03 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Sorry to hear about your job, Niamh. The president keeps saying how great the economy is, you know...anyway, my musical tastes huddle around two genres:

Gimme that southern rhythm and blues anytime from ZZ Top, Lynard Skynard, Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt, Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Prine, y'all know what I mean and when I'm feeling mo' mellow old Celtic music from Lunasa, Chieftains, Donal Lunny and others and newer stuff by U2. It just depends. I was a DJ in college where I played mucho rock and roll on Friday nights, a jazz show every weekday afternoon and american musicals on Sunday afternoons.

I would probably pick celtic to go with an hour of knitting.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  2:26:55 PM  Show Profile Send janeknits a Private Message
I spent most of today's lunch hour knitting to Bonnie Raitt's new CD, "Silver Lining." I jes' love that sound!

Go to Top of Page

tighniamh
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  06:15:59 AM  Show Profile Send tighniamh a Private Message
I was at a Cowboy Junkies concert in Chicago years ago when John Prine came on stage to sing with Margo Timmons. They sang "I am an old woman' (not sure of the real title) but it's the one Bonnie Rait also does. I still get goosebumps when I hear it today.
Niamh

Go to Top of Page

charles
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  08:31:33 AM  Show Profile Send charles a Private Message
Mostly I listen to ANYTHING I like. My tases range from Mozart to Men in Black, Albinoni to Zamfir. I do have a tendency to listen to minimalist classical music, ie. Philip Glass and John Adams when listening to classical, but not always. For popular music it has been people like Cousteau, George Dalaras, lots of Asian inspired music, The White Stripes, Moby and Angelique Kidjo. There is always room for more.
Charles in Phila

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  10:31:53 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
My music is the TV set...almost anything...white noise, I guess.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2084 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  11:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Jenn, very cool topic! Music always has the power to move, soothe, inspire, mellow, swing & elate me! Having said that,let me add that I am a big NPR fan (among my heart throbs is Scott Simon) & often that is on while I knit.
Re music, I'll repeat what some of you said: Bruce (a colleague, Nancy Kearson, said, in the mid 80s, to me that he is the poet of our times & it's still true in my humble opinion!), Bonnie (the John Prine written song that was a fabulous duet w/Bonnie is "Angel from Montgomery") plus Linda Ronstadt, the Magargle Sisters, Rosemary Clooney, Branford Marsalis, J. D. Souther (another heart throb!), Carole King, Peter Gabriel (ditto heart throb!). Yes, folks, I grew up in the 60s .
Thanks, Jenn, for asking this & thanks, Clara, for drawing it to our attention.

Go to Top of Page

KanDeeLee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  11:45:09 AM  Show Profile Send KanDeeLee a Private Message
Music to knit by! What a great thought. It never occured to me that other knitters are also knitting around the sounds of music just as I do. I have noted that there are a lot of similarities in these lists and I can almost see the age of the knitter by the music prefrence!

My own knitting is frequently in harmoney with different facits of my ecclectic inner-self and the time of day I am knitting. When an easy morning rythm is the needles goal the artists of Cuba's Bueno Vista Social Club or Cesaria Evora dance. If a mix of Maroco and Spain is calling, Radio Tarifa my be heard. My Eastern motifes move in waves of Ravi Shankar's ragas on the Sitar or Vadic pros in Rasa, while my Celtic self is lite bright by Enya & Loreena McKennitt. When Halleiwa's moist breezes of North Shore Oahu calls on hot summer days as I am knitting cotton shawls, the soft sounds of Keola Beamer's Hawaiian Guitar fills the air. Late afternoon there is my ancient self that blossoms at the sound of the Anonymous Four or Orthodox Russian & Middel Eastern Chants. And my American self is compelled by Gershwin, big band and the halting phrases of blues baladier, Jimmy Reed. But late at night, the etherial sounds of Lisa Gerrard in "Duality" , Peter Gabriel's Passion or the intergalactic space sounds of John Serrie resonate as fingers carress each stitch.
KanDeeLee In oh-so-hot! Colorado!

Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  1:04:28 PM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
Man, everyone has such diverse and awesome tastes!

Some specific bands I like (in no particular order except the first one!)

Smashing Pumpkins, Our Lady Peace, treble charger, dashboard confessional, Tom Petty, Greateful Dead, Eve6, Hole, Ani DiFranco, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, AC/DC (I rock out every so often to them, GNRoses, Metallica, Etc. LOL)

I havent tried it yet, but I do love hip hop music, and dance music. I am not too sure if dance music is quite 'knitting' music, it's too hard to stop from dancing! My boyfriend is a DJ though and spinning vinyl is his hobby in a big way, maybe next time he's at home practising I'll pull out the needles and try to knit? I probably won't get too far :)

[Jenn - moonglitter@moonglitter.net]
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  5:46:48 PM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message
While knitting I usually listen to Classical - Mozart, Brahms & Rachmaninov are my first choices. After reading this forum, I think I'll try something with a little more pizzazz - Etta James, Aaron Neville and Saffire - and always Beatles - to sing as I go.
Janet
Go to Top of Page

letti
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  6:07:45 PM  Show Profile Send letti a Private Message
Growing up in the Caribean, which is where I learned to knit, I listen to Bob Marley and the Wailers while knitting. I enjoy knitting to 50's and 60's jazz and blues - Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong,Etta James, Diana Washington and JJ Johnson. I add Diana Kroll, Indian(like in India) Classial Music, Cuban and West African musis to the mix. My husband is a saxaphone player, so knitting while he is playing at home help me to do both things at the same time - knit and listen to him play.

I knit the blues into my k2tog and psso.
Go to Top of Page

hilik
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  11:42:27 PM  Show Profile Send hilik a Private Message
I like to listen to books on tape.you get more going at once and it is a must in NYC where free time is so rare...

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2002 :  05:46:44 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Does anyone know if Bonnie Raitt is going to tour with her new album? I missed John Prine when he was here at Wolftrap and hope I get over it someday.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?