Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Does anyone crochet or have other hobbies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  06:54:13 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Hi all,
I was wondering if any one here enjoys crocheting or other hobbies as well as knitting. I enjoy knitting, crocheting, counted cross stitch, decorative painting and fabric crafts. Knitting is number one, close second would be crocheting and decorative painting.
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  12:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I do crochet, but haven't done much since the knitting bug took over. I used to a lot of counted cross-stitch, painted some wood things(folk art) and I still sew quite a bit. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2002 :  12:54:57 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Over the years, I have done almost every needleart ever invented...LOL I have also done painting and sculpture, many crafts, furniture refinishing and repair especially of antiques, and although not a hobby I did all the electrical and plumbing work around the house even minor carpentery. Just give me directions and I'll go for it....LOL Now I can't handle that much so I knit whenever I am able because it is my first love.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

ajar
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2002 :  10:22:03 AM  Show Profile Send ajar a Private Message
I crochet also. I have sewn since I was very young, 4 or 5. I make my own sewing patterns. My father was a carpenter until he was 45; so growing up I learned how to work with wood. I really love wood, but I'm waiting until my girl is a little older before I make something again. I also like paper crafts, but again am waiting until my girl is older since she likes to crumple paper.

Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2002 :  1:02:48 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
I was taught to crochet by a kind neighbor when I was about 10 years old. Crocheted a little until I was about twenty, then crocheted a lot! I taught myself to knit about 2 years ago and now only crochet when there's a blanket to be made (it's so much faster for me). I've dabbled a little in embroidery, stenciling (my house is full of it), and furniture refinishing. I'd love to get into woodworking, but I'll have to wait until the kids get a little older. For now I'll depend on my dad for cool wooden stuff. He's made me a knitting cabinet, porch swing and carved cradle for my daughter so far. You gotta love those handy dads! Have a nice day.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  08:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
In addition to knitting I just took a class on crochet about a week ago, do not know how much of that I will be doing or not. I also have done some counted cross stitch and candlewicking. I have an embroidery project waiting to be started, that will be a learning experience, it was much larger than I thought it was

Christy

Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  10:56:08 AM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
I did a lot of embroidery when I was a kid (say 8 to 11 or 12), and I've crocheted a little. I think for me, knitting is my number one creating hobby because I don't need to look at my hands very much or at all. I can read and watch movies (i.e. do my homework all through high school and college) and knit. I can't do that with crocheting or embroidery, although I do love the pillowcases my sister and I made and I would love to do more embroidery in the future.

I also play the trumpet as a major creative hobby, does that count? I don't really cook or sew, although I wish I did!

Go to Top of Page

Jenanne
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  10:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jenanne's Homepage Send Jenanne a Private Message
I quilt. I've also been known to weave, sew, spin, cross stitch, needlepoint, paint, work with clay and more.

I'm easily bored - always gotta be doing something - and multi-crafting comes with the territory! LOL!

--
Jenanne
http://www.jenanne.com/blogger.htm
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  11:25:33 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I love crafty projects and have tried many over the years. Michaels is my favorite store. Calligraphy is my other major area of interest, but it has a major disadvantage over knitting in that it takes time and space to get all my calligraphy stuff out. Knitting is so wonderfully compact and portable! I crocheted as a child, but all I ever did with it was make afghans. I like knitting for the shaping. I love needlework and embroidery and hope to take that up some day.
Go to Top of Page

knitaly
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  4:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitaly's Homepage Send knitaly a Private Message
I recently took up spinning and I think I'm hooked for life. :) I am also interested in weaving, and hope to get myself a loom soon.
I tried needlepoint and bobbin lace, but didn't enjoy those too much. Another thing I want to do is woodworking, but that also requires a lot of equipment I don't currently have.

So, for now, it's knitting and spinning.

Francesca - recovering workaholic
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  8:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I would have to say that knitting is my number 1 obsession, but I also crochet, spin and make bobbin lace. I have done alot of other crafts as well but these have slid by the way side to make more room in my life for knitting. One fun thing that has always facinated me but I have yet to find the time and opportunity to try is candlemaking. Perhaps I will save that one for retirement?

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

tighniamh
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2002 :  09:55:27 AM  Show Profile Send tighniamh a Private Message
What a timly topic! I have been clearing out my closets this week as I'm having a garage sale on Sat. I found needlework stuff, upholstry items, lap looms, poster paints, stencil stuff, craft mags going back to the '80s, latch hook & crochet. I'm clearing out to make more room for yarn of course!

Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  7:05:01 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I have been crocheting for a lot longer than knitting (by the way, Elisa, hello, I recognize you from the About Crochet forum!). I also sew, make dolls and stuffed animals, embroider, and dabble in everything from jewelry making to soaps to quilts. I think, though, that my favorites are crochet and knitting. Something about the yarn is very satisfying.
Lin

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  7:24:32 PM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Hi Lin,
Great minds think alike I see. Nice to see you hear to. I love this forum. I actually asked Clara if there was a Crochet Review forum in the works. She said not at the moment, but you never know.

Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  09:17:29 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Knitting is my #1 obsession, too. I used to be a rubberstamper, but I haven't touched my stuff in years. Knitting is sooooo much more portable!

I also sew, mostly renaissance costumes any more. Only peasant stuff, though. None of that Noble Garb for me...too fussy! I've also done crewel work, rug hooking and crocheting in the past. I have a crocheted shopping bag I've been working on for more than 15 years. I wonder if I'll ever get it done???

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe