Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Non itchy wool or other yarn suggestions.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cruser
Warming Up

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  5:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cruser's Homepage Send cruser a Private Message
I would like to knit a sweater for my daughter. The only problem is she is constantly saying that this wool/fabric is itchy on her bare skin. Any suggestions as to what yarn I could use that would not drive her crazy?

Also, she is rather endowed. Is there any sweater style that I should stay away from?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards and happy knitting,

Lenore.

lakeviwa
Gabber Extraordinaire

569 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  6:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakeviwa's Homepage Send lakeviwa a Private Message
You might want to go with a wool blend such as Wool-Ease by Lion Brand. But if you are looking for nice soft wool interlacement has some really soft superwash in handpainted colors.

Tess - Timeless Endings Soar Skyward
http://autumnsnowdust.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  6:37:09 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
Have you tried cashmerino (Debbie Bliss)? Rowan Calmer also has a great feel to it, but it's not wool (cotton/microfiber blend). I've seen a sweater made out of it & it's really soft.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  7:12:57 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
What about yarns for babies? I haven't checked into it much. I would think the wool would have to be for delicate or sensitive skin.
Or maybe a wool, cotton blend. I'm sensitive to wool, but I'm finding a lot of wools that are soft & non-itchy. I just rub then against my neck, if they feel good I go with it. Also when you wash the garment you can use hair conditioner, that softens.
mwyn

One who works with his hands is a laborer. With hands & head; a craftsman. With hands, head & heart an artist. (Paraphrase St. Francis of Assissi)
Go to Top of Page

ohiona
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  7:18:18 PM  Show Profile Send ohiona a Private Message
you might try using merino or a wool/silk blend, or wool/silk/linen blend. maybe a cotton sweater is the way to go.... cascade and brown sheep both offer fiber of 80%cotton/20% wool. knitaly is 100% wool and quite soft. cotton twist by berroco (70% mercerized cotton, 30%rayon) would work. there is spotlight by classic elite (100% cotton) and, there are always the superwash wools.
does it matter if the fiber is wool, cotton or a blend?
having never been endowed, i can't offer any suggestions
happy knitting,
pj
Go to Top of Page

continental knitter
Warming Up

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  7:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit continental knitter's Homepage Send continental knitter a Private Message
Baby Ull from Dale of Norway is a very soft, non-itchy merino superwash yarn.
http://www.spinblessing.com/babyull.htm

I am using it to make my daughter a Marihone sweater and I am continually amazed at the softness of the fabric.

I think I would stay away from designs with saddle or raglan sleeves, set-in sleeves would probably be a little more flattering. This is just my opinion, though!

Blessings,
Susan
http://www.SpinBlessing.com
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  7:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I am rather well endowed and I find drop shoulders a bit of a bother because of the extra fabric under my arm. However, having said that, one of my favourite sweaters which I wear a lot is my hoodie, which has drop shoulders. v-necks are good if they are not too small. I have not had much success with wrap-around style sweaters.

for non-scratchy wool try superwash, i find them a bit stiffer but less scratchy, probably because they are more processed. also try baby wool. i also find cotton non scratchy.

celia

celia

View my completed items here
http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/celiang/
and my blog here
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Artemis
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  8:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Artemis a Yahoo! Message Send Artemis a Private Message
Try the Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool yarn. It is soft, non scratchy, light, drapes beautifully on well-endowed women. (as well as not so endowed).

Tahki used to have this yarn Milennium that was made of 75% viscose and 25% polymide. It's been discontinued, but if you can find a yarn with that same mix, it draped WONDERFULLY for full figures, it has really good "give" and show's detail well.

Diana
http://photos.yahoo.com/artemisxlr8
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Chatty Knitter

160 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  07:07:13 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message
I agree with most of the suggestions so far. The Cashmerino and the Silky Wool are both great yarns. If you want something that's 100% wool, Jaeger superfine merino is really nice and super soft.

Understanding is a three-edged sword
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  07:14:55 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I find Misison Falls wool to be soft. I use it for hats and mittens often.

kim in oregon

http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
Marr Haven's Ramboulliet Merino wool is super soft. Clara reviewed it a while back. I actually was fortunate enough to visit the farm in Michigan, see the sheep, and pet the wool. It really is nice wool--I'm making a sweater from it right now.

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  08:45:40 AM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
Tahki New Tweed is the greatest non-itching yarn. Try the White Lies website for patterns for women with larger breasts.

http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/index.html

Go to Top of Page

PS
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  09:48:00 AM  Show Profile Send PS a Private Message
I have had a fair amount of success with Plymouth yarns - they are a wool acrylic blend and knit up quite nicely. Some have complained about pilling but I haven't had that problem. They also are machine washable and dryable. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Carol
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  12:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carol's Homepage Send Carol a Private Message
Elsbeth Lavold's is a perfect (IMHO) yarn to use. I also really, really like anything from Buffy at Shelridge Farms. She has a gorgeous wool/cotton that comes in tons of colors, and you couldn't ask for a nicer person than Buffy.

Carol in St. Louis
Today is a gift - that's why it's called the Present :)
Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  12:26:50 PM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
I just got a newsletter from Elann that has some Classic Elite Attitude, a cotton and silk blend. It's really soft and lovely and is scheduled for sale on September 7.

I have weirdly sensitive skin and I've found that, although I can't wear most wool in manufactured garments, I can wear soft merinos, like Zara, next to my skin with no problems. It just seems that the wool in yarns is of softer and better quality than manufactured garments. Wool and silk is my favorite combination. If you go with wool, have her try a scarf from the wool you're planning to use. If she can wear it with no problems, you've got a winner.

Rowan 4Ply Soft is by far the softest wool yarn I've ever felt and I'm dying to make something for myself from it. It's a joy to work with. Rowan Wool Cotton is also wonderfully soft.
Go to Top of Page

artsyfish

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  12:36:06 PM  Show Profile Send artsyfish a Private Message
I've used Wool Ease and Lorna's Laces - both super wash. My test is to knit a swatch, wash it a couple of times and wear it around my neck under my clothes (in the house of course!). If it doesn't itch its a winner
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  1:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
The best next-to-skin wear wool I've found is Kona Superwash, from Henry's Attic. There are several online sites that sell it, if you do a search for it. It comes in white and, not to toot my own horn, I do sell it dyed on my website. Though I'm sure there are other sites out there that sell it dyed as well.

It's great for kids, too ... since it's machine washable. Lovely, soft, smooth yarn. Can't say enough about how nice it is. AND, I've had several people buy it who are allergic to wool, and were able to wear it with no problem.

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Of the Hunt
Warming Up

India
88 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  1:17:12 PM  Show Profile Send Of the Hunt a Private Message
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino has worked in our family of "itchers" . For more $$$ and smaller needles, Koigu's Kersti, which can be purchased in solids as well as the more common multi-colored. It's a 100% merino cabled tube that knits super quick and has ZERO itch. Good luck!

Diana
Go to Top of Page

binkles
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  1:23:22 PM  Show Profile Send binkles a Private Message
I like Cashmerino a lot and Rowan Polar. As far as patterns, and I am also well-endowed, and I definitely recommend V-necks, raglan sleeves, and NOT short sleeves that end right at bust level. Beware though of patterns that are just straight around the waist or flair out because this makes everything look like a materity top -- the bustline acts as a shelf and the rest of the fabric hangs shapelessly. So, you'll want some shaping around the waist. Doesn't have to be form-fitting, just not a big bag.
Go to Top of Page

Valanne
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  1:24:12 PM  Show Profile Send Valanne a Private Message
A yarn I prefer is also LionBrand, but the item is Imagine--80% acrylic & 20% mohair. No scratchy.
Go to Top of Page

ppaddoc1@twcny.rr.com

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  2:46:30 PM  Show Profile Send ppaddoc1@twcny.rr.com a Private Message

I would forget the wool and use 100% royal baby alpaca. It is an exquisite natural fleece that comes in so many natural colors but is dyed easily if needed. It is hypoallergenic, doesn't pil, it is a durable light weight yarn that has excellent thermal properties to keep moisture away from the skin. Light enough to wear in the summer yet keeps you warm enough in winter without making you feel bulky.
If you get a true baby alpaca fleece yarn, you'll be in heaven. If you want a shear luxury blend, get angora rabbit added to it.
If you're making it as a special gift, don't buy your yarn from Walmart's discount bin either. Go to a specialty shop or on-line to locate this fine alpaca. It is expensive yet is heirloom quality.
If you are going to put endless hours..... months into a sweater, why not make it's value in material as your time?

www.ebaystores.com/Alpacacountrypaddocksgiftbarn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.