Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Non itchy wool or other yarn suggestions.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  3:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
how the fleece is processed will determine the itchiness; the better the quality of yarn, the less likely it is to itch. (better quality does not necessarily mean higher priced) There is a seller on ebay that has manos del uruguay-like yarn in pure merino. Next to Touch Me or K1C2 doceur et soie, it is probably the softest yarn I have ever touched. Not machine washable of course, but cotton-silky soft. The plain wool he sells is nice and soft, too. Search for "hand dyed hand spun yarn" (or some variation thereof) and you should see some kettled dyed yarns by him; they are out of Uruguay, as well. I have had good yarn purchases from him. It is a fraction of the price of manos.

Noro's cash iroha is very nice. Lion Brand is a great economical yarn that I love for kids items. Alpaca or some of the possum blends would be a good wool alternative for cooler weather. Cherry Tree Hill has some nice washable possum blend. cherryyarn.com Berroco sensuwool, if you can find it, has lovely drape for any figure, but needs to be dry cleaned.

Love the suggestions to wear a swatch on the skin before knitting a sweater. Never would have thought of that.

The What Not to Wear book by the two English chicks (from the original BBC show) is great for teaching what styles to avoid or to use for most types of figures. It's very funny, too. In general, finer gauge yarns with a bit of a V-neck are better for more endowed ladies than chunky yarns with high round neck. I would agree with the statement that set in sleeves would be better than drop, but depending on the sweater, raglan may be o.k.
Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  3:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
I've found that wearing scratchy wool next to the skin isonly a problem on torso, (I don't mind it on my arms) a soft fitted camisole and a layer of good moisturizer will help a lot. I don't itch as much if my skin isn't thirsty. This is especially helpful if you don't want the added bulk of a turtleneck or l/s shirt under the sweater.

--StephanieR
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  6:25:52 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I don't have any yarn suggestions, but the new Magknits magazine has a nice sweater for well endowed women.

Let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!
My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

cruser
Warming Up

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  03:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cruser's Homepage Send cruser a Private Message
Wow - so many great suggestions. I'll be on the look out for the yarns you have all suggested. Thanks so much!
Regards and happy knitting!
Lenore.
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  04:17:48 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
As for me,I love Debbie Bliss yarns. I don`t really know what to recommend to make though,I`ve knitted so many,many thing.I can`t begin to count the things that would be nice.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Bluerock
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  07:00:37 AM  Show Profile Send Bluerock a Private Message
You could forget wool and use Mission Falls Cotton. www.ramwool.com , a Canadian company sells a bag of 10 skeins for $33.75. I have bought from them a lot.

Shaeferyarnlvr
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I love to shock people with the Kona I bought from Jen - it's so soft, people don't believe it's wool!

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Go to Top of Page

fireflyfarm@epix.net

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  5:57:39 PM  Show Profile Send fireflyfarm@epix.net a Private Message
Wool as it comes off the sheep is simply a protein fiber like our own hair. It's the harsh chemicals some (most) processors use that cause actual allergic reactions. Itching in response to a crispy yarn is not the same thing.
Oddly, the superwashes are very highly processed but many "allergic" people can wear them with no problem. On the issue of design decisions, it's important to remember that these yarns may not block well so they aren't all that suitable for elaborate cabling. Which a voluptuous girl may not want to wear anyway. Cashmerino or Alpaca Silk are rich choices. That E.L. Silky Wool might work but would be much more fun if it would knit up faster.
Be on the lookout for patterns and kits by designer Jane Slicer-Smith. Her styles are actually planned for women who don't look like stick-figures. The unique armhole shaping is the key. My hero!
Go to Top of Page

loulouknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  08:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit loulouknits's Homepage Send loulouknits a Private Message
I am also sensitive to wool. I have used Plymouth Encore yarn which has less percent of wool, but enough to make it not look like acrylic yarn. It doesn't itch me at all, comes in great colors and I always get complements on the sweaters I knit out of it. In addition, it is not has heavy has 100% wool, so if you live in a warmer climate like we do in Maryland, you don't get too hot in it!

fiberEvolution
http://www.friend.ly.net/~acm/fiberEvolution.htm
Go to Top of Page

tess1e
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
627 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  08:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit tess1e's Homepage Send tess1e a Private Message
Try the Debbie Bliss Alpaca silk...you won't regret it. It's the softest yarn I've felt for ages and isn't at all scratchy. For less thick yarn I'd go for the cashmerino range - baby cashmerino is DK and there is the aran and superchunky too. They are really soft and have the added bonus of being able to chuck in the washing machine (great for me as a mum of 4!!).

Rowan Wool Cotton is also lovely and the 4 ply soft is good too.

Jaeger Chamonix is gorgeous too...

oh dear my list keeps going!!

:-)

www.yarn-shop.co.uk
www.craftseek.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page