Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 I'm so sick of being sick!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hojo@hojozcreations.com

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  2:46:48 PM  Show Profile Send hojo@hojozcreations.com a Private Message
July 2003, I had a hysterectomy and 3 hernias repaired and I've been up and down since then - 2 emergency hernia re-repairs Sept 2003 and November 2003. At the 11/2003 surgery I contract MRSA (one of those super viruses) which led to another 4 surgeries by 12/5/2003 and drug therapy (which I'd describe as chemo lite)until April, 2004.

I was just starting to get back to myself -when - WHAM! More abdominal pain and nausea. Just got back from the surgeon and ....
another hernia.

I have to go have a CT scan (can't get in until Friday next week, so gotta live with the pain) before the insurance will cover although dr. says he's pretty sure.

And because it hasn't even been a year since I had the MRSA, I'll need to go back on the drugs as a preventative before surgery and monitored closely and another month of disability.

It's a good thing I have my knitting, it's keeping me from totally losing it right now.

ohiona
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  3:03:59 PM  Show Profile Send ohiona a Private Message
good grief hojo... you've been through much, and sadly, it doesn't seem to be quite over! does the doctor know why you're having so many hernias?
what's your current knitting project? what's your favorite kind of fiber to work with? do you mail order or shop at a lys?
i'll keep you in my thoughts and hope that you have sunnier days real soon,
pj
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  3:18:00 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
{Hug}
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  4:38:27 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
You have been thru the mill. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Shirley in Claremont, CA (& sometimes, Dana Point)

Bacteria: the only culture some people have!
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
So sorry you are going through all of this. Hope the doctors can help you to feel better soon and figure out what's causing the hernias!

Kimberly, kniting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  08:57:18 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I know it seems terrible, but it will get better. Work on developing a positive attitude by absolutely refusing to be down in the dumps. Sounds crazy but it does help and gets you healing faster. I know. I have been seriously ill for the past 41 years. Watch your nutrition, it has a lot to do with how you heal.

I will keep you in my prayers.

fran
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  10:35:43 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
HoJo! I'm so sorry for your long period of health problems. I know just how you feel. I'm on my third round of chemo. Since 1996 I've been diagnosed w/ two different types of cancers and have been diagnosed w/ multilevel degenerative disc disease. I was told I had to go on permanent disability. I am just not able to do this for my mental health and for my pocket book. So together w/ my employer we have worked out a schedule that works for me and she had an ergonomic desk made for me. Right now I'm going through my third round of chemo. The last one didn't work as well as they expected so here I am again. I am still working although not as much as I would like to, but luckily I have an awesome employer who is willing to work w/ me. As Fran stated...try to keep up a postitive attitude. It's that I swear and so does my oncologist that has helped me make it through these two different types of cancers. I refuse to feel sorry for myself longer than absolutely necessary. Anger and pity eat at my immune system which I need to be nice and strong to help me fight this cancer. I have days of "Why me????" Well, why not me? What makes me so special I shouldn't have to have life's difficulties come my way? I truly believe I can learn from this experience and perhaps help others going through the same type of problems. Perhaps...that's "Why Me?" So keep that head up, eat healthy, rest, knit, knit some more, visit the forum often, and watch lots of funny movies and LAUGH!!! It's what helps me get through the really tough days.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  1:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Ooooh you have been through the mill! But you've been given some good advice here from prople who know about health problems. So I'll just send you some {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} and my prayers for a speedy recovery and no recurrence.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Knit Twit
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  5:10:31 PM  Show Profile Send Knit Twit a Private Message
Hugs to you, Hojo. I hope you have a quick recovery...sending positive energy your way!

Terri : )

Discretionary Spending = Yarn and Teddy Bears
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  5:57:51 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

Hi HoJo

Hugs from me, too!
Take care of yourself,and happy knitting !

Leslie

Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  09:48:52 AM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
hugs from me, too, keep knitting!
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
Go to Top of Page

teadrinker
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  11:35:57 AM  Show Profile Send teadrinker a Private Message
Hi HoJo,

Hang in there, it will get better. Focus on the things that give you joy. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 16 years, 3 major surgeries and 2 babies ago, so can empathize with what you are going through. Please know that you have my best wishes for your recovery.

Teri
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  5:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Thanks to all for your enthusiastic support. As most of my friends (including the ones who also post here) well tell you that I'm usually extremely positive (and I agree, it definitely helps) but I was really caught off guard (and very bummed) by the latest news, especially since things were finally getting back to "normal" (although it would be a biig stretch to say stuff if ever normal around here).

I have a bunch of diagnostics and consults over the next week and will have more information then.

In the meantime, I get to experience better living through chemistry for the pain (and another month off,means more knitting time!)

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley
Go to Top of Page

Josie
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  7:33:58 PM  Show Profile Send Josie a Private Message
Oh, Hojo and Vicky I am soooo sorry to hear about your medical trials. I wish you both a relatively pain-free and comfortable evening and day tomorrow. I came to whine about being sick but I don't feel like it now. I do wonder tho, when you are feeling really bad and almost too sick to knit, do you pick up your knitting anyway and do what you can do? I find no matter how bad I feel I still want to knit.
Best regards,
hill
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  11:16:15 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Hojo you are in my thoughts and prayers. Knit on!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

kikadesa@yahoo.com

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  1:13:06 PM  Show Profile Send kikadesa@yahoo.com a Private Message
Hojo was admitted to the hospital this morning. She is having more tests done today and will be in surgery tomorrow. She hopes to be home by Thursday.
Send her some good thoughts and virtual hugs!
Hugs from me Hojo, hang in there!
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  3:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Thanks Kikadesa for giving the update and to everyone for the virtual hugs/positive thoughts, they are really helping.

I'm home from the hospital - the surgery went very well. I'm pretty dopey right now, so not doing too much knitting. Still awaiting a bunch of test results on how long I have to do the drug therapy.

I've got to get back knitting soon, as I have a Christabel cloche to finish for my friend who's about to start chemo. It's keeping me focused.

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley
Go to Top of Page

ohiona
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  8:06:14 PM  Show Profile Send ohiona a Private Message
it's so good to hear that you're back home and recovering. i hope that you're drinking plenty of fluids (not soft drinks!) so that you can flush your system of its 'dopiness'. best wishes to you.... pj/ohio
Go to Top of Page

bunkenbeans@comcast.net

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  09:48:16 AM  Show Profile Send bunkenbeans@comcast.net a Private Message
Hugs to Hojo and Vicki! Hojo, it's great that even in your pain you are doing something for someone else who is suffering. I'm sure your friend will love her cloche!

Susan
Go to Top of Page

kathtill@yahoo.com

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  08:43:38 AM  Show Profile Send kathtill@yahoo.com a Private Message
Hojo- you are being surrounded with warmth and wishes for health and prayer. I hope it helps. Kikadesa, do you knoe Hojo personally?If so, you may be interested in this site
http://www.shawlministry.com/index.htm
It's knitting as a spiritual practice, knitting prayer shawls or healing shawls for those who need to be wrapped in concern and prayer.
Anyone else who checks the site may also finf themselves thinking of a friend or relative to knit for. The basic pattern is really easy.
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  09:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
Big hugs to HoJo and Vicky and all the other forum members who are fighting the good fight against chronic illness with good grace and determination. Good luck, good wishes and strength to continue the healing.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?