Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Defeating 2nd Sock Syndrome
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lizwd@comcast.net

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  11:50:41 AM  Show Profile Send lizwd@comcast.net a Private Message
I cast on both socks at the same time before knitting any rows. Then I knit about two inches on the first and switch to the second or I would never finish. This means I own 2 sets of all my DPs, which I prefer to circular. As soon as I'm finished, I can put them on! Liz D
Go to Top of Page

mafgreene
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  1:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit mafgreene's Homepage Send mafgreene a Private Message
I must admit that secons sock syndrome has been a very serious problem for me and the sake of matching socks. I, too, get bored with the leg, regardless of pattern.
Fortunatley i have a friend who really likes wearing mismatched socks, so when the second sock doesn't intrest me, I give the lonely socks to her.
But NOW - i have learned to knit two at a time on two circs and have been whipping up matching pairs like mad!!! and am loving it! and so are the recipients.

Marietta in Maryland
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  1:54:05 PM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
I have only had second sock syndrome once--heck, I'm lucky to have finished the first of this particular sock. I don't like the yarn. I am doing a wave cable sock with sport weight yarn as part of a KAL. I was so eager to start knitting the cable sock that I grabbed the only sport weight I had on hand--Woolease, which I don't particularly like. I will finish the second sock....soon, I hope!

I don't think I'll ever knit two socks at once or a sock on two circulars. It just doesn't appeal to me. I prefer either DPNs or one 12 inch circular. If I want the sock to match, I make detailed notes on a card about cast on, how many rows of ribbing and what the length of that was, how many pattern repeats, etc.
Go to Top of Page

jgetha
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  3:16:50 PM  Show Profile Send jgetha a Private Message
I have knitted several pairs of socks: some knee-socks, most crew length. I've found that knitting on size 1 needles is torture.
Size 2 needles is slow, but not nearly as bad. I use DPNs. I tried the circular thing once, and it really messed me up!

It's crucially important to like the yarn you're knitting with or you won't even finish sock #1. To that end, my favorite yarns to knit socks with are: 1) my handspun, 2) Lorna's Laces "Shepherd Sock" and 3)Louet's Merino Gems. I also like 4) Brown Sheep's Wuperwash Wool, which I knit on size 4 needles. A crew sock knitted in worsted yarn on size 4 needles goes really fast. I can do one per week.
Go to Top of Page

Sparki
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  3:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Sparki a Yahoo! Message Send Sparki a Private Message
You are very inspiring. I have been terrified to try socks, but the way you talk, they sound like good friends and companions. I bought neat yarn last year (in November!), and am now about to drag it out and have at it. Many thanks for all your great comments and suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  4:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Anyone got the same tip for gloves or mittens? I have 'second everything syndrome'! :-(

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  4:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Patience, what a great idea! Have not tho't of that - thanks for mentioning it.
And to you all who knit lots of socks, thanks for the extra inspiration & info. There is good food for tho't here.
Martha
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  09:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Yes, the second mitten is problem too. I knit one elaborate stranded mitten except for the thumb, a year ago. Still haven't done the second one. I did the first one on Pony Pearls dpns, and have decided to do the second one on two circs. I am hoping the coming of fall will motivate me to do the second one! Next time I do mittens, i will start both at the same time, and work a bit on one and a bit on the other. I certainly have enough knitting needles to do it!

As it is, I have cast on, knit the to-, and have started the foot of the second of my current pair of socks (toe-up). Last night I ripped out the bind off of the first sock, admitting it was too tight (it would have caused gangrene!). I went up to a size 4 needle, did a suspended bind off, and now it works.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Coltonweeks@earthlink.net

USA
Posted - 09/10/2004 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile Send Coltonweeks@earthlink.net a Private Message
Diane in Colton. I always knit my socks on two circular needles, and my tip is to knit both socks at the same time. Of course that means you will need two sets of needles, but, when you are finished you will have a complete set and not have to start over on sock number two. I just knit on one and they catch number two up. Works for me.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  9:18:15 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
This is a funny solution to the second sock syndrome, yet there are a fairly large group of knitters who believe in it and do it.

To avoid the second sock syndrome--knit the second sock first.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Knit Twit
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  10:22:44 AM  Show Profile Send Knit Twit a Private Message
Hee-hee-hee! I'll have to remember that one - thanks, Fran!

Terri : )

Discretionary Spending = Yarn and Teddy Bears
Go to Top of Page

joanwaff
Warming Up

91 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  07:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit joanwaff's Homepage  Send joanwaff a Yahoo! Message Send joanwaff a Private Message
Hi! I am now on my second sock, using the ML technique and doing fine. I tried knitting two socks at once, and didn't like that at all. Since I use lots of self-pattern yarns, I was using one ball of two different socks because I didn't want to unravel and rewind second ball. As far as matching, I haven't had a problem at all. I don't count rows. I can hold the first sock right next to the second sock to see just about where to begin a decrease for the "toe" area. I found that it is easier for me to do one at a time...and I have the time. I guess you could have two separate sets of needles going at once and switch back and forth, but for me, it isn't worth the extra "attention" that you have to pay to keeping the yarn straight, etc. Soooooooooooo....I KNIT ONE SOCK AT A TIME AND AM LOVING IT!

Hugs, Joan
http://www.joanwaffcreativedesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzzles
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  5:26:29 PM  Show Profile Send Suzzles a Private Message
I had the 2nd sock syndrome with the first pair I knit. When I finally finshed the 2nd sock (because I had bought new yarn and didn't knit it until I forced myself to finish the first pair) and started wearing them, WooHoo! my feet felt sooo luxurious, I've never had 2nd sock syndrome since! Also...one more hint. With my first sock if it's got a mistake, I keep going (unless it's a real crash 'n burn! ) With my second sock, having learned from any mistakes, I go for the gold. There's only one pair, (my first) that I can actually see the "wrong" sock, and I'm the only one who notices.

Done is better than perfect!
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  05:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Wow -- a motto close to my heart. Done is DEFINITELY better than perfect. I don't even aspire to perfect. I rp out only the mistakes that I think will bother me. That said, I had to rip out the heel on the 2nd sock I've been talking about. As I said, the first sock turned out to be a little too snug over the instep. I kept trying it on, but the snugness only became apparent when I was well up into the leg (toe-up sock_. So for the second sock I made a larger gusset, without thinking that OF COURSE that would make the sock larger. So I got part way into the leg, tried it on again -- and realized I would have to redo it. So I ripped it back, making the foot about 3/4 shorter before starting the gusset. Instead of suffering from SSS, I am obsessed with knitting this one quickly to see if the size works out! It's very annoying that it's Monday -- I have to go to work instead of seeing if the new set of numbers for this sock work.

Go to Top of Page

beth_delong@Yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile Send beth_delong@Yahoo.com a Private Message
It's funny that this is the subject because I just finished my first sock and have started working on my second already so I guess ,at least so far I don't have the syndrome...I was intimadated by dpns but now I really enjoy them! What A sense of accomplishment..........at least for the moment!
Go to Top of Page

iwearpurls
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  11:13:03 AM  Show Profile Send iwearpurls a Private Message
I've only just begun knitting socks and could tell as I was knitting down the foot of the first sock that I might have trouble starting the second sock even in the beautiful Koigu my daughter had chosen. So, I bought a second set of DPs and started the second sock before the first was finished. Now the first one is finished and the second one is halfway done. It's good to know yourself and do whatever is best for you.
And you ladies read my mind. Check my quote on my bio.
Finished is better than perfect.
Lynda
Go to Top of Page

terivan
Chatty Knitter

Australia
240 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  4:44:58 PM  Show Profile Send terivan a Private Message
I am on my fourth pair of socks, and I also go with the 'finished is better than perfect' - unless the mistake is a real show-stopper. I made my first pair by blindly following the pattern because I didn't really understand the process, but am now catering for my feet that are two different lengths and widths, plus bunions. So I never have a second sock - just right sock and left sock ! Wool is so accommodating that minor sizing problems just disappear with wearing.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  05:13:09 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thinking back to Vogue Knitting Magazine when they used to have Elizabeth Zimmerman before she passed over, there was an article on how to make a pair of socks at the same time, I think it was around the early 90's. Also is it possible to knit socks on a circular needle instead of a bunch of pointy ones. Cheers. Rose.
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  07:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Rose,

Yes, you can use circular needles instead of double-points. Folks either use two circular needles (see the instructions on the web at http://flor.trix.net/tips8.htm and http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html, or in Joyce William's book on Latvian knitting -- great technique section starts the book or Cat Bordi's Socks Soar on Two Needles book) or one long, flexible circular needle -- what folks often refer to as the Magic Loop technique. You can find that on the web at http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html You can also knit both socks simultaneously on two circular needles -- see for example http://www.needletrax.com/twocirculars.htm for how to cast on for these. I haven't tried that one yet -- I use two separate sets of circular needles to knit both socks at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  11:11:43 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Thanks Roberta, and i put your blog in the Blog Folder too. Nice blog.

Rose I started out of DPN's and have tried one large sock, a stocking on magic loop but am not sure now about what to do. So much choice usually just confuses me. I need to take a class on magic loop probably. That is when and if there is ever time for one.

Terry, finished is better than perfect, agreed. The little tiny hole in the gusset of the second sock won't shine out through DH's boot. I don't even remember how many extra stitches must have been stuck on the other sock, when I first learned to hate picking up gusset stitches. I'm still working on the strawberry and orange sherbet colorway reggia (regia?) yarn for my pair.

Going away to knit for a good long time. Have fun!

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.