Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Preteen patterns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitlover
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  6:44:42 PM  Show Profile Send knitlover a Private Message
Where do you find patterns to knit for preteens? My 12 yr old likes some sweaters in the magazines I have but they are never in her size.

Anita

knitlover
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile Send knitlover a Private Message
She will be 13 in the new year so I guess patterns for teenagers may work as well. I have found teen knits on Amazon but not much else. She is picky about what she likes and doesn't like anything she considers old fashioned. I have never tried to knit without a pattern yet but maybe that is the way to go. I am thinking about buying the latest knitter's handy book of patterns for sweaters by Ann Budd to do just that. What do most of you do for your teenagers?

Anita
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  9:05:57 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
What type of clothes does she like to wear that are boughten? Is she very trendy? Vogue Knitting usually has the most fashionable patterns, although the other knitting mags have some too. Most of the magazine patterns come in a small size that might be small enough for a 13 year old depending on her build - and you can make them smaller by choosing a yarn with a slightly smaller gauge and getting out the calculator. I think a lot of what makes a pattern appeal to a teen is the fabric and the color...if that seems to apply to your daughter you would probably do well with Ann Budd's book. Another one to try might be 1000 Sweaters - this one has a lot of extra pieces for the sweater patterns - collars and cuffs and so on - I don't own this book because the sizing is too small for me but it might be just right for a teen!

Good luck!
Lin
Go to Top of Page

mew
Chatty Knitter

Canada
227 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  9:10:08 PM  Show Profile Send mew a Private Message
For not old fashioned knitting patterns, I'd suggest browsing through ones from Phildar or Rebecca. I'm 18 now, but I'm pretty sure that if I had taken up knitting a few years back, I would've been making sweaters from those companies! Can't say I feel quite the same about patterns distinctly labelled as being "teen"...

Many of the Phildar patterns do go down to a 34" chest, some to 32", but I'm pretty sure you could modify them to fit your daughter. Just take some measurements of her, or a favourite sweater/longsleeved shirt, and then you could knit to those sizes. Mostly it just involves calculating how many stitches you would need to cast on for a certain width, and probably shortening each piece a little to fit her.

Go to Top of Page

knitlover
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  9:59:25 PM  Show Profile Send knitlover a Private Message
She has a 32 inch chest and a slender build. She likes to wear form fitting clothes including sweaters. She wanted me to make a hoodie for her before and I did but she doesn't wear it because it didn't turn out small enough. Now she wants me to knit a sweater for her in blue with snowflakes on it (she loves winter) and I will try to do that for her once I figure out how to make one her size. I think I will end up measuring her and then knit a swatch of yarn to figure out my guage to fit her.

She is attracted to color and design. One of Ann Budd's books might appeal to her but I don't know which one you are referring to. I have never bought any of the Ann Budd books yet. I subscribe to a number of magazines but have never seen anything smaller than a 34. I could try to knit with yarns that have smaller guages or maybe use smaller needles for a smaller guage if that would work.

Anita
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  01:39:13 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
i think Vogue Knitting on the Go has a Teen book out .

(hristinac
Always guilty of reading too many knitting blogs , surfing the web too much , clicking on far too many links .
:(

Go to Top of Page

knitlover
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  10:17:59 AM  Show Profile Send knitlover a Private Message
Busy Hands Silly me. When I was asking which one of Ann Budd's books you were referring to I was for some reason thinking of Alice Starmore. Of course you are referring to Ann Budds sweater book. I think I might just get that book and use any yarn I want to work out a sweater for her. Thanks for everyone's input I will have to look into all of your recommendations.

Anita
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  2:21:06 PM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
Kirsten________ ( I have forgotten her surname ) She is a Canadian .
Red curly hair .

Well Kirsten has a book out full of knits for men & teens only .
Does anyone know what i am thinking of ?

(hristinac
Always guilty of reading too many knitting blogs , surfing the web too much , clicking on far too many links .

Go to Top of Page

knitlover
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  8:12:09 PM  Show Profile Send knitlover a Private Message
I did a web search for teen knits and found Kirsten's book on the web. It is called "Irresistible Knits" by Kirsten Cowan. It looks promising.

Anita
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  03:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Some of the Jo Sharp books have the same jumper for size 4 to mens sizes. I also have a Rowan book that has a similar size range for a number of things.

The trick with these is to show her the picture of the lady in it, not the 4 year old, then she will want it!

Wen

2004 stats: 20 FO, 7 WIP, 27 wool purchased, 4 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
YES !
Kirsten Cowan -Irresistable Knits

(hristinac

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?