Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Ultimate Stash Management
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  12:53:40 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I want a new car. My old car is just fine, and I had planned to drive it another 6 years (until it was 10). But I want a new car. So to justify it, I told my DH (and myself) I would not buy any more yarn. Now, as a matter of dollars and cents, I know that should not make me feel better, but it sure feels like a sacrifice!

Anyone else use their stash like that?

Debra

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  1:02:39 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Considering a new car starts at $15 000.00 I doubt I could get one unless I gave up yarn for life. Have you ever considered leasing? I know some people think it's a waste but if you like driving new vehicles it is perfect; you get the car during the maintenance free years, and then when it starts needing more work, send it back and get a different one.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  1:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Debra, your old car doesn't sound so old at 4, but I would definitely say that no more yarn is a sacrifice and a painful one that should be rewarded. What car do you have your eye on?

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  3:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Hmmm, we NEED a new car (small sedans do not make great family vehicles) - but I doubt that giving up yarn is going to get us there.

I think leasing is great in theory, but everyone I've spoken with says that it's just not as cost-effective in the long run. ('Course, I also think it's a waste to have to have a new car ever few years.)

I am sort of using my stash this way at the moment, though. I keep reminding myself that if I use out of my stash than I can get that really nice rocking chair I want a lot quicker.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  6:38:10 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Kristin too bad you aren't closer. I need to get rid of one of our 3 rocking chairs!

Amongst the best advice I've had in my life "Lease depreciables, buy appreciables" ranks right up there. We have a small sedan(Camry)and it's a great family vehicle for us. It has great mileage, lots of space, a smooth ride, and almost zero maintenance.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  8:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Mokey -

Hehehe...I got my first rocking chair for my 21st birthday (which should be a huge clue into my personality) and I LOVE them.

You make a really good point about leasing vs. purchasing. I've just grown up in a family that believes you drive a car until it croaks (or maintenance becomes a serious problem) before you buy another. We also never finance cars because that's a waste too. Call it midwestern poor farm kid frugality. Cars just never were real high on our priority list. (Until my parents realized their kids were grown, gone and doing just fine....then they started buying BMW's - but that's another story.)

Good to hear about your car - I'll put the camry on our list to look at. After driving to Tuscon last year (38+ hours round trip) in a wee car, we know we need more space. I shudder to think of putting a second car seat in either of our cars should we have another baby.

Kristin

I
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  02:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message
ok, i have to churp in here, my honda accord, god rest her leaky engine, but she was 15 yrs old. hubby said was time LAST year, as our other honda was going on 10. NO maintanance problems w/either of them. their was a rusty part over back wheel, that well rusted thru , but that engine still purred. So we have a nice new pretty civic, also don't care for leases. and grew up w/a father, who had to get a new car every 3 yrs.(how we did that w/5kids??
Even my son wanted that honda, and I still miss her! (been 4months).
sherry
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  06:00:23 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If you are one of those who wants to buy a new car every 3 years, financially that makes sense. After 5 years cars start to depreciate at a fast clip, so it's best to sell it early when you can get as much money back as possible.

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  2:14:47 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Sorry I haven't responded, work and all. And I have been out looking at new cars!

Not only is 4 years not old, and it is a wonderful car, a Honda CRV that has less than 30k miles, is in mint condition and has never given us any problems, but I want a convertible! Now that summer is over, doesn't that make a lot of sense? I am just sick of driving an SUV. I agree with the arguments for leasing - but both my husband and I are paranoid about losing our jobs in this economy, and we don't want to take on a monthly payment. We are going to dip into savings instead. But I can replenish them by not buying yarn!

Why would a presumably sane person trade in an SUV for a convertible right before winter? Well, first of all, if I drive a mile a day, I am lucky. So my car is really going to be pampered. And I live in a small town, where they do plow the streets pretty quickly. I am just feeling I would like to drive a more feminine car (does that make any sense?)

Debra
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  3:13:11 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Why? SUvs are not as safe as other cars, have higher insurance, and drink like sailors on shore leave! I am also assuming that convertibles would be on sale this time of year? Do you actually need a second car? For a mile a day sounds like taxis would be a LOT cheaper.

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  2:22:40 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Mokey, I have to drive to pick my daughter up from daycare, otherwise I probably wouldn't have a car. It sits at the train station more than it drives. And you are sure right about safety - I hate the way SUVs corner. You can sure tell they have a high roll factor. The only good thing about my SUV was it sipped gas - 22 mpg in the city. But it was a CRV, one of those mini SUVs.

Well, I caved. I bought a blue convertible. That was really important, cause my CRV and my husband's car were both silver. (I bought mine first, and then his was a special edition which only came in that color.) Anyway, I hope I didn't make a mistake. I heard we are going to have a very snowy winter, cause of the mild summer. Oh well, I guess that is why I did so well on my trade-in. The other thing I did not like about my SUV was it had no pick-up, to the point of actually being dangerous. It was a 4 cylinder. Now, I am politically opposed to an 8 cylinder car, unless it is necessary, but my new car (a 6 cylinder) still gets 20 mpg, so I don't feel too guilty.

So, it doesn't make sense to put the top down on the 4 block drive to the train. But it is fun on the weekends, doing errands. And, I haven't bought any yarn since Stitches Midwest! Now, the car had nothing to do with that, I just like to pretend it is due to self-discipline. I am all about justification. Now if I can just find some justification for going off my yarn fast - and you know I will!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe