Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Lorna's Laces - Color Pooling Problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sfgrandma
Chatty Knitter

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  2:12:43 PM  Show Profile Send sfgrandma a Private Message
I purchased a color called Shadow, comprised of dark and light grays, black, a smoky brown and white. This was my first attempt to knit with Lorna's Laces and I loved the feel of the wool, but...the wool for the most part self-patterns, with rows of darker colors interspered with the white. The medium gray, however, pools. I frogged the first sock twice, starting the cast-on in different places, but the best I could do was to get the gray to travel across the back of the sock on a diagonal. It does look strange. What could I have done to prevent this problem?

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  2:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I believe one of the last two IK magazines addressed the issue of color pooling towards the back of the issue in a scarf pattern directions. I'll see if I can find it and post unless someone else more organized beats me to it. LOL

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

mew
Chatty Knitter

Canada
227 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  5:34:46 PM  Show Profile Send mew a Private Message
http://www.morehousefarm.com/Knitting/Tips/Variegated/

Someone pointed me to that link when I last asked about pooling. It mainly deals with things knitted flat, but there is one part on knitting in the round:
"Mittens and hats using more than 1 skein of variegated yarn
Work with both skeins simultaneously and switch skeins every 2 rounds."

I also don't know how to apply this to a sock (since I've never knitted any), but changing the number of stitches will help. You just happen to have the number of stitches on your needles so that the colour repeats land upon oneanother. If you have fewer/more stitches, the sections of colours will be displaced along the row so that they don't stack up right upon one another.
Go to Top of Page

sfgrandma
Chatty Knitter

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  6:26:37 PM  Show Profile Send sfgrandma a Private Message
Thanks so much for the links and tips. I've bookmarked the link for future reference, and will just have to figure out in future how to use two skeins at once while knitting in the round. These socks will just go to my son for padding around the house.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  7:43:58 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Mew - Thanks for the link; what a great site!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  04:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Color pooling...something I love to tackle! With most of LL's variegated colors,if you will use a stitch pattern with as much or more purls in a row as knits, the colors will travel around the sock better.Sometimes if you really want to conquor it you have to be willing to start over with a diferent sort of stitch pattern. Till I know the way the yarn is made up- length of colors, and how often they are repeated, I have to start and stop several times till I find the 'right' one. One stitch pattern I used with a LL yarn did have the dominant color traveling in a spiral around the leg. I rather liked it though and stayed with the pattern for that yarn. Also, slipped stitch pattern really help. One I did- Hopscotch, really avoided all pooling.
Lisa

Designs for hand knit socks...
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Knitting photos...
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  10:53:39 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I think the only way to avoid pooling is to knit from two skeins at the same time. I just finished a pair of socks using LL handpaint together with a plain color. My socks had a fair isle section alternating with stocking stitch, and wherever the handpaint was knitted you can see pooling. The fair isle section looks like little faces. I don't like it at all, but juggling 3 skeins of sock yarn was more hassle than I wanted.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Soxy
Gabber Extraordinaire

New Zealand
389 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  6:29:00 PM  Show Profile Send Soxy a Private Message
What is "pooling? Have knitted with LL and now you have me worried!

Sock Addict
Go to Top of Page

mew
Chatty Knitter

Canada
227 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  8:26:55 PM  Show Profile Send mew a Private Message
It just means that the colours are settling (or pooling) into areas, instead of being more randomly distributed.
For example, all the light blues end up being on one side, all the dark blues on another...
Go to Top of Page

Mbarkle
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  06:40:31 AM  Show Profile Send Mbarkle a Private Message
Am I the only one who actually likes pooling? I am knitting a pair right now from some yarn I got at elann.com and I love it when all the blues and browns are together, it's making this cool spiral on one part and a checkerboard on the other. . .

I guess it could be a problem if you are using really high contrast colors. . . I have some Lorna's in the denim colorway and will be making a pair from it soon.

Mary B
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  10:26:22 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I don't remember which colorway LL I was using, but it had lavenders, mint greens and cream in it. I think the cream was the worst, it formed diagonal lines which stood out in stark contrast to the other soft colors.

The problem I found with LL is that the skeins are small so color repeats come up quickly on a sock. This gives you continuous blocks of color. For my current socks I'm using Furryarns wool/mohair/nylon sock yarn (lovely stuff). The skein is enormous, I would guess it's about 6' in circumference, so the color repeats come up every half-inch or so. The base color is a soft taupe, with short sections of bright blue and purple so most of the sock is taupe with bright color bits scattered across it. I think it's working up very nicely.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Soxy
Gabber Extraordinaire

New Zealand
389 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  6:45:31 PM  Show Profile Send Soxy a Private Message
Thanks Mew, yes I see, mine has defnitely done that, but doesnt look too bad (teehee, I thought it was suppose to look like that!!) but as it is the Black pearl colour, the contrast isnt too big, the pattern I used is Swirling Lace Anklets.... pattern repeats over 12 sts ....how does one avoid the pooling then I cant really add ekstra st then the pattern wont work.....or does one accept it as being the way LL yarn knits up?

Sock Addict
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  7:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I had some color pooling problems too. I ended up changing needle size and it worked like a charm. It might not have been the correct thing to do but they turned out perfectly.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

A turtle doesn't get anywhere without sticking her neck out.
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  05:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message
I am working on a poncho for my niece.LL colorway. it does 4" of knit, 4"of purl. Ever other section it is pooling. asked the owner, she said it wasnt self striping and would do this, i knew better that my friends at KR had a discussion. i think its pooling. it looks almost tye dyed in sections?? its ok, but the colors, tno not striping, didnt overlap each other, and in other sections they are in each row, so looks like a puddle of color?? funmny thing is it is mirroring itself on the section below...(the image).
sherry
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  4:06:39 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I also like color pooling at times. I'm making the scarf that Dee mentioned was in a recent IK. I like the way the colors line up, although I have to really keep my tension even or they start to drift.

Meg

Long Island, NY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.