Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Touch Me questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  2:51:19 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
I'm making a Touch Me scarf (oooooooooooooh la la) and am wondering what the best way is to join a new ball. It's so slippery! Also, are there folks here who have actually washed Touch Me? I keep hearing that I should wash and dry it to keep it from worming, but I'm spooked by the Dry Clean Only label.

My knitting teacher notes that it's called "Touch Me," not "Knit With Me." Ah, it's luscious, though. I might have to keep this one for myself.

Rachel

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  3:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
I have done 2 scarves both were washed and dried. Both were even better after, if you can believe it. Go for it!

Cayli in San Diego

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  3:40:30 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
What temperatures and settings did you use when you washed and dried it?

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  4:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message
HI. I know, i was a nervous wreck, as I did my first one .But it had wormed so much, i knew it couldn't be any worse.
threw it in w/some dark towels i was doing, on warm/cold setting, just didn't use the tide.LOL.
then into the dryer on the perma press setting..i know its hot, not sure how. came out wonderful.
sherry
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  9:10:25 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I pretended I was felting, and also did the hot/cold thing, with detergent and towels, then into the dryer. It actually took 2 complete cycles before all the worms were taken care of.

If you check for TouchMe on-line, all the sites I've seen tell you to ignore the band instructions and launder the stuff!

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: password: sermom
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  9:10:44 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
Sally Melville in her _Knit Stitch_ book gives instructions for washing and drying Touch Me, saying it comes out "luscious" afterward. Sorry I do not have the book at the this location tonight to give you more detail, but I hope you will be able to find it.

-- Mean Mama
Go to Top of Page

jjones0194@aol.com

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  09:11:37 AM  Show Profile Send jjones0194@aol.com a Private Message
The Muench website says it will shrink about 10% with felting, how much did your items shrink after?
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  12:32:35 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I didn't actually measure, but it looked like it got narrower and longer.

The instructions are fairly simple - pretend you're felting. I washed in hot water + detergent, then threw it in the dryer. And 'luscious' is an understatement!

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: password: sermom
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  1:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
I agree with Barbara. I didn't measure mine either but it seemed narrower and longer too.

Go figure.

Cayli in San Diego

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe