Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Stash Mgt & Hurricanes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  11:56:38 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
Living in hurricane country one does have to think about our yarn stashes. Hey, this is a primary concern of my -- I don't want to lose my yarn stash!!

Since I am in the new project 'cane path between Panama City FL and NOLA (New Orleans) I decided my stash is going with me. While I was living on a sailboat, I had it all sealed in vaccum sealed bags which I have now put into large Rubbermaid (tm) containers and set space aside in the car or pickup truck to take along -- probably going to travel up to Hattiesburg MS.

Of course I am taking along the requisite canned foods, can opener, flashlights, batteries, etc AND my KNITTING NEEDLES -- have to have something to do while I wait for this monster to pass over.

I am certain since I live in a marina, my "home" (35 ft travel trailer) will not be in tact -- but I have insurance on that - the agent inquired about wanting to add a rider for valuables -- I thought it easier to take my yarn along than explain why I needed a rider for that!! I have a lot of $$$ in my stash -- and really don't want to replace those patterns and yarn.

So, my question to y'all is -- have you ever had to think about your yarn stash(es) and what you would do if a natural disaster (that could be forseen days in advance like a 'cane) came your way. Tornados give no warning.

BTW I am no longer aboard s/v Island Thyme -- need to change that signature..

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Good luck in riding out hurricane season. We aren't even booking our Florida trip until the season is over. If you have the cash buy yourself one of those fire/waterproof lock box/safe things from an office supply store. Even places like target carry them now. For the cost(usually under $100.00 depending on size) they will hold a lot of papers or a small stash. If you want even more protection, buy yourself a fireproof filing cabinet.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  12:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Can't even think about that, because here in No Cal, we get no warnings for our natural disasters.....but the good news is that once they happen they are over quickly....

My thought was that I would save my husband, my son, photos and animals. All else can be replaced one way or another, or just is not as important.

Not to say that I would not mourn the loss of my fabric and yarn, some of the best which came from abroad on my travels....all the more reason to use it soon!

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
It's the people and the animals first. If a tornado came, likely the stash would be carried off. I do keep it in large rubber tubs (like those Rubbermaid storage things) to protect it from water and vermin...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  11:58:10 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
We finally found a place to sit out the storm -- after driving 13 hours we ended up in Arkansas!

After I made sure the cat and I packed a few belongings (he of course needed litter, food and water-- and the aforementioned yarn found room in the car too -- we left even before we were told we were under MANDATORY EVACUATION near the coast line. Dover, the cat, rode in the front seat -- he loves to travel in the car and the yarn rode in the back seat.

Waiting out the hurricane I did alot of knitting -- and a lot of eating -- the local churches fed us very well.

Yes, I remember living in CAlifornia -- no warning of a 'quake -- it just happened. I've lived in Tornado Alley in Michigan too. At least with a 'cane you know he/she is coming and can get out of dodge.

We were very fortunate the Ivan did not come into Mobile Bay -- although my heart goes out to those folks to the east of us -- and Ivan refuses to go away, now being nasty over in LA and TX.

Admiral Annie
Grand View Marina
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by