Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Online Shops - Questions and Favorites
 Smiley's Yarn?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KAC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  09:09:42 AM  Show Profile Send KAC a Private Message
Has anyone ever ordered from Smiley's?
http://www.smileysyarns.com

The prices on some of the yarns seem to good to be true. Granted, they don't carry a lot of top-end yarn, but $1.99 for Filatura Lanarota Luxor DK, and $2.50 for Reynolds Lopi-Lite is pretty darn cheap.

Is anybody familiar with them?

Kim
http://sanityknit.blogspot.com/
The largest room in the world is the room for improvement

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  09:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
It's true!

And you nailed it! They have excellent prices, but very limited selection.

They're perfectly reasonable, and I go when I've got need something cheap.

Oh, and ironically, one of the gals on the KR blogring posted this:
http://styleperps.typepad.com/

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  10:42:51 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I've also ordered from them - pre online store days - they used to mail out envelopes with small snips of yarn and great prices. I haven't ordered in several years, but was always happy with them.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  11:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I've ordered from them. They have high shipping and minimums. They aren't the fastest shipper but also not the slowest. Their yarn prices are amazing though for what they carry.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  11:47:21 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I have ordered from Smileys. Never have had a problem at all. If you want really cheap prices for your holiday projects this is where I ordered all mine from last year. Everyone got hats and scarves in different colors! This year I am making some socks and a few are getting pullovers or vests. I think I may throw in a washcloth or two in the package also. Smiley's has good customer service, fast shipping, and very reasonable prices on some of the blended yarns.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  12:35:32 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I also have had excellent service and products from Smileys. They are the reason for my stash, which I am now trying to dplete. :)

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible." --Soren Kierkegaard
Go to Top of Page

croknit45
Chatty Knitter

147 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  04:44:11 AM  Show Profile Send croknit45 a Private Message
I've used Smiley's and received my order the next day. Make it worth your while because of that standard shipping price. They're wonderful!
Sharon in MA
Go to Top of Page

shear
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  05:09:09 AM  Show Profile Send shear a Private Message
Twice I have bought from Smileys and found them difficult and surly.If there prices were not so cheap{although a lot of the yarns are from the middle ages}I doubt they would even be in buisness.
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  05:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
smiley's in store help is well, less than helpful, Shear did you mail order or come in contact with the woman behind the counter (miss i am nailed to my seat, and i ain't getting up for you or any one else)?

they are have started there supersales again (i just heard last night at the knitting meet-up) and i think i am not going.. i have way to much yarn, and they have some increadible sales..i am not sure i could resist!

See my photo albums, password for guests, oftroy
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  12:45:41 PM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
When I checked their web site yesterday, the only hotel sale that was scheduled was in Manhattan at the Holiday Inn between 9th and 10th avenues on 57th street. A long trek and a really seedy hotel.

Last year was their last year in Westchester. I don't why, I always saw lots of folks. If you're looking for cheap acrylic, those sales are great. Anything else, you need to know the prices. I bought lots and lots my first time and ended up selling it on eBay.

In my old age, I've become a yarn snob--only the good stuff.

I've never gone out to the store--it's a looong subway ride to a not so nice neighborhood. But, the store is right when you get off the subway--or so I was told.

Different yarn, for different folks.

--Pam
Go to Top of Page

mec
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  2:19:24 PM  Show Profile Send mec a Private Message
I tried to order from them once, but they won't mail to Alaska or Hawaii. So I never even look anymore.
Go to Top of Page

shear
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  6:15:49 PM  Show Profile Send shear a Private Message
To answer of troy I visited the store which is very seedy and decrepit.No one was even there for the most part to answer anything relating to knitting.It wasn't pretty!
Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  06:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
I've ordered from them online several times, and while I wasn't overly impressed (like I am, with, say, Elann), I wasn't disappointed. Yes, the minimum order is high and the shipping is high too, but I wait until I have several projects in mind that I can get yarn for there, and that helps. For $35 plus the $8 shipping, I once got yarn for three adult-sized sweaters and two scarves. I mean, really, is there anywhere else online you can say that (except maybe eBay)?

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com
http://projectkoolaid.blogspot.com

"Flimsy as it is, it's open-mike punk rock, red, white, and blue" --Cake, You Turn the Screws
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  08:30:00 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PamS

When I checked their web site yesterday, the only hotel sale that was scheduled was in Manhattan at the Holiday Inn between 9th and 10th avenues on 57th street. A long trek and a really seedy hotel.

Pam we stayed 2 years ago; it wasn't seedy or in a bad apart of Manhattan; has the area gone downhill in such a short time?

Smiley's defintiely has the cheapest prices I've seen on Patons yarns in the US, so if you want a quality acrylic, stock up.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  09:03:50 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
Actually, Mokey, it's probably the reverse--I haven't been there for several years and probably within that timeframe the area has improved along with the Holiday Inn. There's lots of new hotels in NYC and to stay competitive I'm sure that places like that need to keep up.

The owners of Smiley's are really creepy. And, as I said in my previous post, I would not go to the store without at least a water pistol for protection. And, as someone else also wrote, I've heard about the woman who never lifts her butt off of her stool. It's an urban legend.

Years ago when Smiley's would have their once a year sale, women would line up outside the store and wrap around the block--or so I've been told.

--Pam
Go to Top of Page

LuvYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  10:16:09 AM  Show Profile Send LuvYarn a Private Message
I ordered from them once and recieved my order very quickly. Maybe I'll order again but the $35 minimum is a little off putting. If you want higher end yarns for low prices take a look at elann.com instead.
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  07:04:08 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I order what strikes me from their online site, it arrives promptly and works very well for non-luxury stuff. No complaints here.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

virtualpurl
Gabber Extraordinaire

409 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  08:40:45 AM  Show Profile Send virtualpurl a Private Message
In defense of Smiley's neighborhood, it's dirty and rundown -- typical of many NYC neighborhoods -- but I've been around there many times over the years and never felt in any danger. I think people could shop there without worrying, especially now when crime rates in NYC are at historic lows.

Certainly you don't go to Smiley's for amenities. But you can get some good buys.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  4:53:26 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Since they also don't ship to Canada, I've only ordered from them once, and had it sent to a friend who brought it up with her when she drove up for a visit. I definitely made it worth my while, spending over $100.00 (this was back when I actually had some discretionary funds), but boy did I get a lot of yarn for that money. Some of it is very nice, too, like the Plymouth Colourease (I think?). Not high end, but not shabby, either.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: password: sermom
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Tigerinoz
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  10:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Tigerinoz a Yahoo! Message Send Tigerinoz a Private Message
I have gone to there yearly special sales and have found some nice yarn at times for a very cheap price. I defense of the neighborhood, it doesn't help that the store is near an above ground subway track. That fact alone make the area seem more run down then it is. But compare to some areas in Queen, it is pretty safe.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  11:15:05 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Barbara, it was really worth ordering? I find that the prices on Patons aren't any better than a good sale here.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?