Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 The Great Purge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  11:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
My boyfriend and I are moving in together in November and I have a lot of yarn. I have a lot of knitting books, knitting magazines and needles, too. So, I have promised myself that I will fill a big, yes, BIG, tub with yarn. Then I'm going to fill another tub with magazines, books and patterns. Then I'm going to fill a shoebox with needles. Then, I'm inviting all the knitters I know to come and bundle up whatever they want while I prepare snacks in the kitchen. Then I want them to take it all away and leave me to inventory and pack what I have decided to keep. I can do this. I just have to tell myself that I am fostering creativity and happiness in my fellow knitters.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  1:46:18 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
and your boyfriend. It is always good to start out on a happy note.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  1:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Ooohhh... that's tough. And the hardest part is going to be getting them to keep their mouths shut and not ask "are you sure you don't want this?" Because of course the answer is "hands off it's mine mine mine mine mine!" but you have to choke it down.

Good luck. Maybe you should be down the street at the local watering hole....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  9:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
The dear man did not ask me to do this. When I told him what I was doing, he got a stricken look on his face and said, "I was just kidding when I said you had too much yarn!" But, we are going to join households and I've needed to do this purge for quite awhile. I am going to tell the girls that unless I rip something out of their hands, I mean for them to take whatever is in the tubs. Hopefully the tequila will keep me too occupied to do that. So far I've been through books, patterns and magazines, tomorrow is needles and then it's the great yarn sorting over the weekend. By Monday I could just be a twitching heap.

Cameellie
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  06:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
Cameellie, You are one super courageous woman! When we moved across the country, I gave away all my knitting magazines, and part of me misses a couple of issues of IK and VK. But, good for you. The tequilla will help a lot!

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  12:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
I'm keeping the IK magazines, but I am giving away the VK, Knitters, Piecework and miscellaneous others. We are going to use the master bedroom as a computer room and I will have a wall unit for my books and stash. This time I won't let it get away from me.

Cameellie
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  09:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
Tomorrow is the big day. I have filled a huge tub with yarn and I'm sure that I could add more, but I'm amazed as it is. Wish me luck.

Cameellie
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  09:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
Good Luck! You are a brave woman.

Think of all the space you'll have.

-amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shepurls
Chatty Knitter

116 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  10:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shepurls's Homepage Send Shepurls a Private Message
Cameellie, oh how I wish I was one of your friends! ;)

Seriously, I think what you're doing is great. I've been trying to get rid of some clutter in my appartment too (no yarn though, I don't have much of it) so I know how difficult it is to give stuff away.

Good luck and tell us how it goes! :)

~Caroline~

You know you wanna see my knits (choose your format):
Livejournal
Blogspot

I'm a slow knitter:
2004 FO: 5 -- WIP: 4
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  1:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
Well, four friends can't make it to the Purge tomorrow. I have offered to divvy up what is left and just hand it over as grab bags. And as for extra space, just taking the yarn out of bags and setting aside those bags and others for my friends has freed up considerable room. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Cameellie
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  3:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
Good Luck!

Wish I could help you with the purge. I need to make a purge too but not of knitting supplies. We just have too much other stuff.

I think you're being very brave and taking a wonderful adult attitude about this!

Happy Purging and Visiting with Friends.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  6:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
anything that the knitters don't take, you could donate to a local women's centre. They would probably go nuts for yarn donations.
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  10:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
Yes, that is where it is going.

Cameellie
Go to Top of Page

knitnerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  1:16:02 PM  Show Profile Send knitnerd a Private Message
If I had to choose,I would keep the yarn and dump the boyfriend.
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  2:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
He didn't ask me to choose, I'm just making room for him in my life.

The girls have come and gone and they didn't take nearly enough stuff! One even *brought* yarn! Argh! And the worst part of that is... I took two partial skeins from her to use on my felted purse. I rationalized it by saying that this way I didn't have to *buy* two skeins when I just need a little bit to make the pattern comme out right.

Cameellie
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  07:38:47 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Cameellie, I am in awe. Obviously, you have a keeper in your boyfriend, cause only a great guy would overcome your addiction to yarn (me, too!). I think it will be easier to discipline yourself after you move - I have filled up the place I designated for my stash, and that has made abstaining easier. Of course, there is always the unfinished portion of the basement . . . .

Best wishes on your new life together,

Debra
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  9:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
Well, he nursed me through pneumonia so it's the least I can do. I have my grab bags almost ready for the girls.

Cameellie
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  12:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
The Yarn Coffin is empty! All I kept were the two sweaters that could have been frogged for the yarn. I'm taking it as a sign to finish them that they are still with me.

Cameellie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe